CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Change of Conversation - What new toy is going on your boat... (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1166)

garlien 01-07-2011 11:49 PM

Change of Conversation - What new toy is going on your boat...

this year.....

5th Tuition 01-08-2011 07:00 AM

I can't say they are going on my boat (due to cost), but if money was'nt a factor, side scan/down scan ($600) would be added to my HDS 7, and led lights under my hard top and gunnels (cost??).

First I must do the necessary repairs to my trailer (cost??) and pay for my wet slip ($900).

5th (Marty)

reds 01-08-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 9414)
I can't say they are going on my boat (due to cost), but if money was'nt a factor, side scan/down scan ($600) would be added to my HDS 7, and led lights under my hard top and gunnels (cost??).

First I must do the necessary repairs to my trailer (cost??) and pay for my wet slip ($900).

5th (Marty)

That's a cheap price on that slip. I'm guessing it's a private one.

garlien 01-08-2011 10:28 AM

Marty,

You and many other folks made my decision for me.

I am very glad the football season paid off for me...

I am going to go ahead and get an HDS 8 along with
The lss 1 structure scan.

Not thrilled about the cost but the benefits look awesome.

Mike

B-Faithful 01-08-2011 12:47 PM

There are three things that I would love to add to my boat. However I am not sure I will get to them this year as there are a lot of other things my house needs first:

1. Led Lighting under the gunwales
2. put another seacock in with livewell pump towards the transom of the boat so I can move my livewell to the back of the boat instead of behind the dinette
3. add another screen to split my radar, sounder, and plotter between.

5th Tuition 01-08-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garlien (Post 9416)
Marty,
You and many other folks made my decision for me.
I am very glad the football season paid off for me...
I am going to go ahead and get an HDS 8 along with
The lss 1 structure scan.
Not thrilled about the cost but the benefits look awesome.
Mike

Mike you are going to love it. Be sure to let me know where the fish are next summer. You will be on them like fleas on a dog:eek:.
5th (Marty)

Reds; that is a wet slip above the bay bridge (Bodkin Creek) in an Anchorage (so called because it sells no gas and only has a spot a pot for a restroom). But it serves me well. I can be at the slip in 20 minutes and fishing the knolls in about 10 more.
5th (Marty)

Spot77 01-08-2011 06:32 PM

New 55lb trolling motor is going on the front of the Cajun next week.

Fairwinds called today and said all of the electrical work was done.

garlien 01-08-2011 06:59 PM

Scott,

Awesome when are we going out ?

EDGEWATER 01-08-2011 08:37 PM

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Garmin Auto Pilot. It'll make solo trolling a little easier to deal with on windy/choppy days.

Spot77 01-09-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garlien (Post 9421)
Scott,

Awesome when are we going out ?

I will probably get the boat tomorrow and get the trolling motor mounted asap.

I need to run some new fuel lines and change the filters, but that's not a big job on this boat.

Fish Nut 01-09-2011 03:15 PM

A lot of you have mentioned trying to upgrade to led’s. This web page was given to me from A few Carolina Classic Guys. They used these products to add some bling there boats. From the pictures I saw it seemed to do the trick. You cant beat the prices.

I was thinking of adding some strips under the gunnels and under the swim platform.

I guess while I am at it I should add a disco ball in the cabin and charge a cover. :D

http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

crabby and son 01-09-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Nut (Post 9429)
A lot of you have mentioned trying to upgrade to led’s. This web page was given to me from A few Carolina Classic Guys. They used these products to add some bling there boats. From the pictures I saw it seemed to do the trick. You cant beat the prices.

I was thinking of adding some strips under the gunnels and under the swim platform.

I guess while I am at it I should add a disco ball in the cabin and charge a cover. :D

That would make it a CHARTER!:D...........Gary

Fish Nut 01-09-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabby and son (Post 9431)
That would make it a CHARTER!:D...........Gary

:eek: :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

5th Tuition 01-09-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Nut (Post 9429)

I might have to rethink that overnighter for Croakers you invited me on next summer. Unless you let me lead:eek:.
5th (Marty)

p.s. No wonder you put all that "sparkle" on your lures.

Shawn Kimbro 01-12-2011 10:29 PM

I'm redneck enough to love the under gunnel lights. The LED lights I have are from Oznium. They're the least expensive I could find and easy to install. The mexican girls at Kent Narrows go nuts.... "boat ride, boat ride." Of course, I never give them one.

On my wish list this spring is the SonicHub system which is an iPod dock/stereo add-on to the Lowrance HDS system.

Southerly 01-13-2011 06:58 AM

bling bling (for a kayak)

i have a new FF for my boat; which leaves me with the old one being 'extra'. it's a low cost Garmin and i was thinking of selling it for $40 but am leaning towards mounting it and the transducer to a piece of wood that i can hang on my kayak instead. and i'll still have it as a back-up if the new one goes on the blink.

i already know it will be a challenge to find fish within paddling range but 'it's always best in your own backyard'. so i look forward to some quiet morning time on the water, and some big ole wakes from the rest of the guys going out.

i normally keep the kayak at the shore but would really like to include a trip to assateaque to fish bayside. any tips would be appreciated???

crabby and son 01-13-2011 09:42 AM

The back bay of Assateague is good for flounder and spot in the summer. You can also catch some croaker, small blues and crabs. By the airport is a good spot..........Gary

Fish Nut 01-13-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Kimbro (Post 9465)
On my wish list this spring is the SonicHub system which is an iPod dock/stereo add-on to the Lowrance HDS system.

Now the new in thing is to play music to the fish through the transducer. I am always behind on the new electronics.

The Lowrance unit has all of the gadgets :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

do rock like country :p

crabby and son 01-13-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Nut (Post 9477)
Now the new in thing is to play music to the fish through the transducer. I am always behind on the new electronics.

The Lowrance unit has all of the gadgets :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

do rock like country :p

They like country rock and disco balls:rolleyes:...........Gary

Southerly 01-13-2011 06:52 PM

hydroponics

last winter i drove my house crazy playing humpback 'songs' all day. i had found a website that plays them 24/7 - seriously. sounds like clarinet but after couple weeks i still couldn't make any sense out of it. nothing.

regardless, i've been interested in the sound/vibrations that baitfish make when feeding or a baitball is being chased but have not been able to find anything online. you know, instead of all country music,...

Skip 01-13-2011 07:25 PM

Southerly - I use a Mako Magnet when shark fishing.
It gives off vibrations like a wounded fish.

The company also sells a Tuna Magnet - imitates a school of fish.
Some guys mount them inside the hull and use them when trolling.

The Mako magnet works great - I've had sharks come in from up current of the chum line and hit the magnet. Had to send 1st one back for repairs. New one is protected in a milk crate.

Sound underwater travels far. Not sure how fish hear it though.

Southerly 01-13-2011 08:39 PM

i had no idea! it occurred to me while listening to rain minnows one early evening.

you know the smell of a small apt with a lot of cats? i've always thought the rock could smell large quantities of baitfish as the tide goes out. imagine some swimming down the channel and the smell of dinner wafting out of a river mouth or creek,...

got anything for that?:eek:

Skip 01-13-2011 08:53 PM

Check out how the King Mackerel pros troll down south.

No lie - they use an IV drip bag with Menhadden oil in it. They troll slow and the scent helps draw in fish. Might work in the bay - if you worked the current correctly.

I've often thought a huge spread of lures with rubber shads can be " felt " or " heard " by Rockfish.

CAGE RATTLER 01-20-2011 01:58 AM

I've got lots of upgrades and toys i want to add this year but doubt i'll get them all this year.

last year was expensive! New 2010 496 MAG MPI, new custom hard top & enclosure. That was close to $20,000 put in a 25 year old boat. Probably insane but I love my boat & that big block performance made it even better.

This year on my wish list..........

Spot light, Spreader lights, lights under hard top & under gunnel lights.
Re-do my pulpit & add a windlass
Re-do my dash & all new gauges including a new merc monitor with troll control.
Auto pilot
New HDS FF
Add some gunnel rod holders & drink holders
Set of planer boards (i'll get some from you eventually skip)
More trolling combos
add a baitwell

Money will be a little tight this year so im sure some of those will have to wait till next year. Just wish i had somewhere to keep it indoors for the winter so i could get started now.

Conjuror 01-20-2011 10:30 AM

I'm going to add one of these...:D:D....winner!!

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/...eath-beer-line

Spot77 01-22-2011 05:47 PM

I picked up my new trolling motor today. It's a Minn Kota 55AP.

Can't wait to try out the "AP" feature....AutoPilot.:D

Sounds like it's going to be weird getting used to the electric steering too instead of the old cable steer.....we'll see.

thill 01-28-2011 09:54 AM

Toys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spot77 (Post 9420)
New 55lb trolling motor is going on the front of the Cajun next week.

HEY... What kind of Cajun do you have?

I recently acquired a 190 Pro, and I'm VERY impressed with this boat, especially how well it runs through waves and chop. I test-ran this boat once, and IMMEDIATELY put the other bass boat up for sale! The difference was night and day!

I have the Minn Kota Riptide ST with Co pilot and Auto Pilot, and I am VERY happy with it. At first I didn't like the wrist controller, but after time, I've gotten used to it. Very helpful when docking, too.

http://members.purespeed.com/~thill/cajun3.jpg

I'm still finding stuff on this boat, and am looking for more info also. Maybe we can swap some notes. Feel free to email me- tonyhill@tidalwave.net

-TH

Spot77 01-28-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thill (Post 9592)
HEY... What kind of Cajun do you have?

I recently acquired a 190 Pro, and I'm VERY impressed with this boat, especially how well it runs through waves and chop. I test-ran this boat once, and IMMEDIATELY put the other bass boat up for sale! The difference was night and day!

I have the Minn Kota Riptide ST with Co pilot and Auto Pilot, and I am VERY happy with it. At first I didn't like the wrist controller, but after time, I've gotten used to it. Very helpful when docking, too.

http://members.purespeed.com/~thill/cajun3.jpg

I'm still finding stuff on this boat, and am looking for more info also. Maybe we can swap some notes. Feel free to email me- tonyhill@tidalwave.net

-TH

I have the 150 Pro....small little 15 footer with a Yamaha 85hp on the back. That little boat will MOVE and you're right, they handle pretty great for their size. This forum has a lot of Cajun info, but for the most part things are drying up quick since they were bought out and the Cajun line disappeared:

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/cajun.htm

Where do you run it most of the time? I spend a lot of time on the Pocomoke River and of course out on the Magothy which is right in my back yard so to speak...

EDIT: Nevermind...I just went over there and I se that you've alreay found the place.... :)

Spot77 01-28-2011 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here she is:

thill 01-28-2011 10:37 AM

Goodies

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

The BEST deal I've seen for under-gunnel lights was a 12-pack of waterproof amber running lights (like for a truck or trailer) for $19.99.

I have them mounted in pairs under my gunnels, and also a pair inside the center console. VERY nice for night-time fishing. The amber color is perfect for night time. Bright enough to really see by, yet it doesn't kill your night vision. I've seen boats with the red lighting, and my eyes don't benefit very much from that color. Here is an old phone pic of my floor at night:

http://members.purespeed.com/~thill/...r-lighting.jpg

Probably not as nice as the strips, but NOT BAD for $20.

-TH

thill 01-28-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spot77 (Post 9594)
Here she is:

Spot,
Nice boat! I bet that 15-footer will MOVE!!! I'm also guessing that she is really great on fuel economy. It's amazing how a good hull design changes how a boat rides and handles, although they all mostly look the same.

The bass boat I sold was 15' with a 70 HP on the back, and she would do about 50. That speed was a little scary in that boat. But 10 gallons of gas literally ran her all summer! I mostly ran the trolling motor while fishing, but it was still very good on gas.

I live close to Lake Anna, so that's where I am most of the time. So far, so good. Lots of bass, catfish, crappie and so on, and recently, I discovered the stripers. Pretty cool to catch them in fresh water. I plan to learn more as I get out there more.

-TH

thill 01-28-2011 11:05 AM

Goodies

Oh yeah... what goodies am I going to put on my boat?

My boat has a wide transom notch, capable of twin engines. Sometimes, a wave will hit the transom just right and get your feet wet. Annoying!

I'm going to add transom splash guards. I've done this before, and they work GREAT! (An idea for any of you with simple, notched transoms, like on the Parker SE's)

Here is a pic of the Aquasport's splash guards:
http://members.purespeed.com/~thill/AS17-04.JPG

Here is a pic of the splash guards I put on the Bluefin:
http://members.purespeed.com/~thill/DSC00778.JPG

It's easy to do, you only need a little plexiglass, aluminum angle, silicone and fasteners. Takes perhaps an hour, and you will be glad you did. I would have done this a long time ago, but it doesn't happen often, so was not a priority.

-TH

Spot77 01-29-2011 06:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My trailer got some love today. We put new leaf springs on it and cut out an old rusty fender, then welded a new one in place. Need some warm wether so I can paint it black to match.....
We hat to torch off a few of the bolts holding the springs in. They were the originals from 1993. :eek: