CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   BPS gift cards (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=2451)

5th Tuition 01-09-2014 05:32 PM

BPS gift cards

Anybody have some Bass Pro Shop gift cards from Christmas burning a hole in their pocket? I had some free time today, so I ran over to check on some items that you might be interested in buying.

1). Alert, Alert, Alert
Looks like all of the "Swede" Mojo lures are on Clearance:eek:
These mojos are in both white or green and run up to 24 ounces. Old retail price was $17.99 clearance sale price $6.47
I don't use them, but you can't beat that price.

2). Pricey, but if you have a gift card, who cares:D.
Sta-Bil Marine $10.99/80 gallons
StarTron. 13.99/128 gallons

3). Rain Gear
Toads (better quality FroggToggs) bibs or jacket $59.95
I have these and love them.

4). Need to replace your trailer winch strap?
10,000 lb strap $26.99

5). 6" shads. 25 pack/$16.49
9" shads. 3/$8.99

6). Penn Squall 30 Levelwind. Replacement for the 330 levelwind
$139.99

7). Umbrellas. Plain wire, no shads. Large 4 arm holding 8 shads.
Light wire version $5.99
Heavy wire version $14.99:eek:

I would rather purchase my tackle from small tackle shops. BPS has terrible prices, but if you got stuck with some BPS gift cards, these items might interest you.

5th (Marty)

Skip 01-09-2014 08:21 PM

IMHO - BPS should pay you the $6.47 to use those mojos.

Not sure exactly why but it's rare they catch fish.

Often see slightly used ones at the fishing flea markets - common sense , few will sell their good lures.

5th Tuition 01-09-2014 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
But wait, how can you pass up buying a $17 lure for $6:D

Can't believe I bought six of them:eek:

But seriously, they are still selling "Chesapeake Lures" that seem almost the same lure. I run umbrellas deep on my boat, but anyone who wants to run deep tandems, they could run the 24oz mojo with a six or eight oz trailer:)

Or buy up all the stock of $6 lures and put them on a flea market table for $10:rolleyes:
Hey, never mind, I'm headed back over to BPS in the morning;)
5th (Marty)

Luv2fishcb 01-10-2014 06:58 AM

And if you are retired/active duty military BPS is still one of the few stores that gives you another 10% off at the register. It is not advertised so you have to ask.

Gander Mountain used to give 10 but they dropped to 5%.

Steve

garlien 01-12-2014 11:32 AM

I am goin wait and use mine when they run the Penn Fathom 50% off sale....

:)

Anyone going to Frederick ?

Any other good deals out there ?

Anyone know any good fishing stores in Marathon ?

5th Tuition 01-12-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garlien (Post 17049)

Mike,
Why the Penn Fathom? The Penn Squall is what's replacing the Penn 330gti. What's the difference between the two?
I hope to get to Frederick. Didn't go last year, but I hear it is worth the drive.
I will be Capt. John's standin at the Deal show. He will be at the Cambridge show that same day. Soooooo, nobody buy any Capt. John spoons, spreaders, or umbrella's until you see me at Deale. All my buddies get a discount, Shhhh:eek:
As far a fishing stores, we can whip the rental car (Lambergini Testerosa) into the big Outdoor World in Islamarada.
Kate Upton is meeting us at the condo, she wants to use our heated pool between "shoots" for Vera Wang's new line of bikini's.

Let Don supply the tackle, we need to hit a liquor store:rolleyes:
5th (Marty)

bhl 01-12-2014 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garlien (Post 17049)

I'll be at the Frederick show at the Spankin Striper booth. Stop by and say Hi.

bhl (Bruce)

Chessie27 01-12-2014 04:38 PM

After taking inventory, I need Capt John stuff and Spankin Striper stuff :eek: Sounds like I'll have to go to Frederick AND Deale to get it :D Guess I'll see you boys there!! Garlien- maybe our paths will cross while there as well??

Bruce- I plan on bringing Margaret with me to "Fredneck" (and dudes to Deale- sorry Marty). Just be sure that when I say, "these are nice but I have already bought too much" you grab "these" and ship 'em to my work address!! ;) :D

garlien 01-12-2014 06:37 PM

Marty,

Let's try to go up to Frederick together if we can manage it...

And, uh, not sure the pool needed to be heated if Kate is there...I am sure it would get hot really, really quick...and then my old self would be off to bed, leaving her in the pool for you....

I'd imagine, the Kate at the pool or Kate at the beach image would look something like this....http://www.newshoks.com/wp-content/u...upton-hot1.jpg

bhl 01-14-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chessie27 (Post 17052)
After taking inventory, I need Capt John stuff and Spankin Striper stuff :eek: Sounds like I'll have to go to Frederick AND Deale to get it :D Guess I'll see you boys there!! Garlien- maybe our paths will cross while there as well??

Bruce- I plan on bringing Margaret with me to "Fredneck" (and dudes to Deale- sorry Marty). Just be sure that when I say, "these are nice but I have already bought too much" you grab "these" and ship 'em to my work address!! ;) :D

Not a problem Jeff. The lures won't be too expensive but the shipping might be:D.
I have the same problem here,I just went over $ spent on getting ready for 2014.
Between guides license, charter license, documentation sticker, insurance, slip fee, raw water impeller, and a few new reels I'm over 6 grand:eek:. Only problem is I can't hide it because my wife pays the bills:(.

bhl (Bruce)

5th Tuition 01-14-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhl (Post 17054)
Not a problem Jeff. The lures won't be too expensive but the shipping might be:D.
I have the same problem here,I just went over $ spent on getting ready for 2014.
Between guides license, charter license, documentation sticker, insurance, slip fee, raw water impeller, and a few new reels I'm over 6 grand:eek:. Only problem is I can't hide it because my wife pays the bills:(.

bhl (Bruce)

Don't forget rubber bands or Scotty clips:eek:
5th

5th Tuition 01-14-2014 06:39 PM

Did Mikes photo of Kate shut down the site yesterday?
5th

Chessie27 01-14-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 17056)
Did Mikes photo of Kate shut down the site yesterday?
5th

It definitely shut me down for at least a second or 2!!! :D

One day I hope to have to quit fishing because I am out of Scotty clips; I think I have about 70 rigged up! :eek:

bhl 01-15-2014 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chessie27 (Post 17057)
It definitely shut me down for at least a second or 2!!! :D

One day I hope to have to quit fishing because I am out of Scotty clips; I think I have about 70 rigged up! :eek:

I bought 6 extra scotty clips so I can deploy 3 empty clips on each side of the boat when we put our spread out just so Marty (Mr. Carter) thinks we caught our fish already;).

bhl (Bruce)

Chessie27 01-15-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhl (Post 17058)
I bought 6 extra scotty clips so I can deploy 3 empty clips on each side of the boat when we put our spread out just so Marty (Mr. Carter) thinks we caught our fish already;).

bhl (Bruce)

That's funny, I do that too and for the exact same reason. :D

5th Tuition 01-15-2014 10:27 PM

You may not have to worry about not having enough Scotty clips this year. If the dreaded rumor is true (only 3 rods/ person allowed trolling), I have a lot more clips than I need:mad:
5th

reds 01-16-2014 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 17060)
You may not have to worry about not having enough Scotty clips this year. If the dreaded rumor is true (only 3 rods/ person allowed trolling), I have a lot more clips than I need:mad:
5th

Unfortunately, It's not a rumor. It affects all recreational and charter boat fishermen.
Did the Sport Fisheries Advisory Commission know about this?

It is now a reg in Maryland Comar. 08.02.25.02...Recreational Gear.

C. Active Line Fishing Gear.

(1) The following gear is considered active line fishing gear:

(a) Hook and line;

(b) Rod and reel; and

(c) Handline.

(2) A maximum of three or a combination of three of the gear listed under §C(1) of this regulation may be used by an individual fishing in State waters.

(3) The gear listed in §C(1) of this regulation shall be used in a manner in which the individual is handling the gear or actively in control of the gear.

(4) No more than two hook units per line may be used on the gear listed under §C(1) of this regulation.

5th Tuition 01-16-2014 07:04 AM

Reds, it won't affect the charter captains too much. If you have a six pack, that's 18 rods. If the captain and mate are included, that's 24 rods.

Unfortunately, it is I, the little guy who is affected the most. If I take out two of my buddies, that's a max of 9 rods I can troll.
What I foresee happening, is that I will be forced to carry more anglers on my boat. How do I do this, one way (which I haven't done in the past) is to start posting for HO's.
In the past, when I took people out on my boat, expenses were on me. Now, if I have to start carrying 5 people in order to run 15 rods. I need to request HO's.
Charter captains were upset when a few guys posted for HOs, I can see why they thought this cut into their business, but now, HO requests are going to go through the roof. How else am I going to get four other people during the week on my boat without using the Internet?
This is a bad law. We need to get it repealed quickly.
It is also bad for those jigging. Right now, they are thinking, this doesn't affect me. I use one rod. Wait until they see 20 other boats jigging in their spot that holds a max of 5 boats. All the "googans" will be running their motors, stomping on the decks, and causing havoc.
Do they really think I am going to be trolling the channel with 6 rods:D. He'll no, I have a GPS and a map onboard. I can see where the drop offs and rips are created. I know where the bay bridge pilings are:eek:
Look for me and my fellow trollers to be shoulder to shoulder with you competing for the same fish.
This is a bad law, and it's a damn shame the way it was snuck into action.
I'm sure this is only one of many rants forthcoming from me.
Stay tuned
5th

reds 01-16-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 17062)
Reds, it won't affect the charter captains too much. If you have a six pack, that's 18 rods. If the captain and mate are included, that's 24 rods.

Unfortunately, it is I, the little guy who is affected the most. If I take out two of my buddies, that's a max of 9 rods I can troll.
What I foresee happening, is that I will be forced to carry more anglers on my boat. How do I do this, one way (which I haven't done in the past) is to start posting for HO's.
In the past, when I took people out on my boat, expenses were on me. Now, if I have to start carrying 5 people in order to run 15 rods. I need to request HO's.
Charter captains were upset when a few guys posted for HOs, I can see why they thought this cut into their business, but now, HO requests are going to go through the roof. How else am I going to get four other people during the week on my boat without using the Internet?
This is a bad law. We need to get it repealed quickly.
It is also bad for those jigging. Right now, they are thinking, this doesn't affect me. I use one rod. Wait until they see 20 other boats jigging in their spot that holds a max of 5 boats. All the "googans" will be running their motors, stomping on the decks, and causing havoc.
Do they really think I am going to be trolling the channel with 6 rods:D. He'll no, I have a GPS and a map onboard. I can see where the drop offs and rips are created. I know where the bay bridge pilings are:eek:
Look for me and my fellow trollers to be shoulder to shoulder with you competing for the same fish.
This is a bad law, and it's a damn shame the way it was snuck into action.
I'm sure this is only one of many rants forthcoming from me.
Stay tuned
5th

It will affect charters, because not all parties are 6 or more.
On opening day, my party consists of 2 people. Has been for years. We usually limit out by 8 or so and back in before the madness gets to bad.
That will all change with being able to only use 6 rods.

5th Tuition 01-16-2014 09:25 AM

Reds, just spoke to mr holt at DNR. It is a passed law. I see your point about opening day. I will write later, I gota go.
5th

bhl 01-16-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reds (Post 17063)
It will affect charters, because not all parties are 6 or more.
On opening day, my party consists of 2 people. Has been for years. We usually limit out by 8 or so and back in before the madness gets to bad.
That will all change with being able to only use 6 rods.

I just hung up from DNR. My question was if the law pertains to charters? Their answer was " that is a very good question and we will get back to you".
I find that charter reg's are sometimes somewhere between commercial and recreational rules. Last season the DNR officer wanted to see my cold water survival suits for operating in March:confused:. I will post after I get a call back.
It would definitly affect me because I don't like taking more than 4 customers.

bhl (Bruce)

reds 01-16-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhl (Post 17065)
I just hung up from DNR. My question was if the law pertains to charters? Their answer was " that is a very good question and we will get back to you".
I find that charter reg's are sometimes somewhere between commercial and recreational rules. Last season the DNR officer wanted to see my cold water survival suits for operating in March:confused:. I will post after I get a call back.
It would definitly affect me because I don't like taking more than 4 customers.

bhl (Bruce)

It will be interesting what the reply will be.
If you take crabbing charters, you have to adhere to rec limits, rec times and no females.

Skip 01-16-2014 10:48 AM

Going to be interesting to see who put this through as folks research it.

Two and two are not adding up to four since no public hearings were held.

I'm almost guessing - rule was intended for fresh water. If you read through - everything else sounds more freshwater then tidal.

B-Faithful 01-16-2014 10:51 AM

I do not believe in sector separation, which means I believe the same rules for an individual fishing on a for-hire boat should be the same for those on a not for-hire boat.

Question is do the capt and mate count as "people"..

bhl 01-16-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 17068)
I do not believe in sector separation, which means I believe the same rules for an individual fishing on a for-hire boat should be the same for those on a not for-hire boat.

Question is do the capt and mate count as "people"..

The rules are already different. A charter captain may not keep a fish " for the boat" during the spring season a rec can. Even though the DNR stopped putting that rule in the fishing regulations book, it still shows up in the comars. I have a copy somewhere. I called to find out why the rule wasn't posted in the regulation book and was told it was an oversight. That was three years ago.
I also will ask about weather the cap't and mate count as people if and when I get a call back because it was on my mind as well.

bhl (Bruce)

bhl 01-16-2014 12:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhl (Post 17069)
The rules are already different. A charter captain may not keep a fish " for the boat" during the spring season a rec can. Even though the DNR stopped putting that rule in the fishing regulations book, it still shows up in the comars. I have a copy somewhere. I called to find out why the rule wasn't posted in the regulation book and was told it was an oversight. That was three years ago.
I also will ask about weather the cap't and mate count as people if and when I get a call back because it was on my mind as well.

bhl (Bruce)

I found the comar re: charter not able to keep fish in the spring (attached). I am starting to believe that you need a law degree to be a fisherman.
Check out the last item on page 2 about season limitations and public notice.

bhl (Bruce)

5th Tuition 01-16-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 17067)

Two and two are not adding up to four since no public hearings were held.

I'm almost guessing - rule was intended for fresh water.

Oh Skip, you are soooo wrong. I spoke to a Mr Holt in DNR. He assured me that public meetings were held and it was "advertised" even on public radio. He said they also went through ASMC (?) (whatever there worthless initials are), but there was NO OPOSITION to the bill. It was INTENDED to apply to ALL state waters.
I told him I was involved in the PSCR regulation change, and their was so much public comment that we occassionally had to move the venue because the original hall wouldn't hold all the people wanting to speak out against the changing regulations. I asked him if he really believed that there would be NO opposition to changing my gear during the season based upon how much opposition there was to PSCR?
I told him this was a sneaky underhanded way to pass new legislation. DNR was so embarressed by the way it was handled they didn't even put it in the booklet handed out with your new license.
He continued to assure me that there was plenty of opportunity for the stakeholders to voice their concern on this bill before it went into effect.
He took my name and contact information and said he would let his superiors know how I felt.

We may get them to REVERT back to this being for non-tidal waters; but this was done specifically to address trolling in the Bay.

5th (Marty)

Skip 01-16-2014 01:47 PM

Marty , I'd like to see when / where it was advertised. Got a feeling it was 3 in morning on Monday on some old AM radio station.

Odd no one I know heard anything about this - including four members of sport fish comm.

I talked to 3 charter captains - their various organizations were not notified either.

Nor was MSSA.

I read the Sunpaper daily - never saw anything - although often I see hook / line opening and closings.

By having zero opposition - shows no one heard about this.

Look at how fast info has spread in just 2-3 days. Not even sure who first found out about it. Friend called me - he saw it on another web site.

Surely some one would have posted about this if it was really well advertised.

reds 01-16-2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 17072)
Marty , I'd like to see when / where it was advertised. Got a feeling it was 3 in morning on Monday on some old AM radio station.

Odd no one I know heard anything about this - including four members of sport fish comm.

I talked to 3 charter captains - their various organizations were not notified either.

Nor was MSSA.

I read the Sunpaper daily - never saw anything - although often I see hook / line opening and closings.

By having zero opposition - shows no one heard about this.

Look at how fast info has spread in just 2-3 days. Not even sure who first found out about it. Friend called me - he saw it on another web site.

Surely some one would have posted about this if it was really well advertised.

I've traced the notifications back to public hearing held in three different locations in early May. The Sport Fishing Advisory Committee was also notified of the proposed changes at their May meetings.

DNR didn't drop the ball or do anything sneaky, MSSA, CCA SFAC and the Maryland Charter Boat Association all dropped the ball.

Maybe everyone should send emails to the SFAC reps and ask them to stop trying to micro manage commercial fishing and pay attention to the recreational side.

5th Tuition 01-16-2014 02:30 PM

Skip; Absolutely, this was done with the intent to not have any opposition.

Not only did they pass this 'EMERGENCY" legislation; but they didn't even have the balls to put it in the new fishing booklet you get with your fishing license.

Somebody needs to be shown the door. Should it be Dave Smith (MSSA) or somebody in DNR; not sure at this moment, but somebody dropped the ball and recreational fishermen are paying the price.

Call DNR 1-877-620-8367 to voice your displeasure.
5th

5th Tuition 01-16-2014 02:40 PM

Reds; I see you posted while I was writting.

If all those organizations were informed of the imposing legislation and neglected to tell us (recs), this is inexcusable.
MSSA and CCA send me emails all the time giving me updates or "news" about fishing topics.
I don't belong to either of these organizations. Dropped MSSA after they SUPPORTED PSCR restrictions, and never joined CCA.
I know lots of people who do belong to these groups, and they never received a heads up.

I have been totally blindsided by this, but will continue to fight. My feelings about DNR could not get any lower.
5th

reds 01-16-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 17075)
Reds; I see you posted while I was writting.

If all those organizations were informed of the imposing legislation and neglected to tell us (recs), this is inexcusable.
MSSA and CCA send me emails all the time giving me updates or "news" about fishing topics.
I don't belong to either of these organizations. Dropped MSSA after they SUPPORTED PSCR restrictions, and never joined CCA.
I know lots of people who do belong to these groups, and they never received a heads up.

I have been totally blindsided by this, but will continue to fight. My feelings about DNR could not get any lower.
5th

CCA, MSSA and the Maryland Charter Boat Association are all represented on SFAC.... SFAC members got the notice of the proposed changes. It appears they were to busy into other things to read the proposals.

If you read the meeting hand out for the May SFAC meetings you will see the notice of the public meetings . The SFAC members also received all proposed changes to comar regs.

In short, the members screwed up.

Skip 01-16-2014 02:57 PM

Early May - correct me if I'm wrong but very busy time for most charter boat captains and the MSSA office.

Trust me - I'd burn my MSSA card if MSSA was only group who did not get word out.

Odd CCA and Md charterboat assoc. , among others - also missed it.

I'm wondering if in all the paperwork - SFAC members took it for a fresh water reg. ?

Good news - we can all put out 25 baited lines off jugs - per angler :D

Let's hope common sense fixes this quickly.

reds 01-16-2014 02:59 PM

I doubt DNR will change the wording anytime soon. There is a pending lawsuit having to do with rockfish. It would look not to spiffy to a judge, if they change one comar reg because of out cry and left another alone.

bhl 01-16-2014 05:48 PM

OK, the DNR called me back and this is what they said:
The law was written in July 2013
The law was enacted in Dec. 2013 in an emergency order
They thought the new law was in the new 2014 fishing reg book but when I asked them to look, they found out that it wasn't there.
I was told that they are updating the 2014 reg book on line as we speak
They have been discussing this law for the last 2 years
When I asked why I, as a charter boat operator didn't get a notification, the reply was " I thought we did"
I assured them that every month I get a notification from the DNR to send in my charter logs and that I would expect that I would see something in one of those e-mails.
I was told that there will be a meeting of the Sport Fish Advisory group at the Tawes Building in Annapolis on Jan. 28th from 2 to 5pm to discuss this law. Everyone is invited and if you can't make it I was told that you should contact your Sport Fishery Advisory Commissioner and levy a complaint with him so that he can represent you at the meeting.

i was told that charters were included in this law and that the captain and mate are considered "people" and can use 3 rod each.

bhl (Bruce)

Skip 01-16-2014 06:34 PM

Now they invite us to a meeting :rolleyes:

Chessie27 01-16-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhl (Post 17079)
OK, the DNR called me back and this is what they said:
The law was written in July 2013
The law was enacted in Dec. 2013 in an emergency order
They thought the new law was in the new 2014 fishing reg book but when I asked them to look, they found out that it wasn't there.
I was told that they are updating the 2014 reg book on line as we speak
They have been discussing this law for the last 2 years
When I asked why I, as a charter boat operator didn't get a notification, the reply was " I thought we did"
I assured them that every month I get a notification from the DNR to send in my charter logs and that I would expect that I would see something in one of those e-mails.
I was told that there will be a meeting of the Sport Fish Advisory group at the Tawes Building in Annapolis on Jan. 28th from 2 to 5pm to discuss this law. Everyone is invited and if you can't make it I was told that you should contact your Sport Fishery Advisory Commissioner and levy a complaint with him so that he can represent you at the meeting.

i was told that charters were included in this law and that the captain and mate are considered "people" and can use 3 rod each.

bhl (Bruce)

So People need to attend that meeting. Nice that they do it on a Tuesday afternoon so less people are inclined to take off work and attend. I have a meeting in NJ that morning but will do my best to be there. Should I just park out in the middle of the street for the meeting to help send the message? :D

We need a MILLION FISHERMAN MARCH - Everyone please bring 2 trolling rods under each arm!!!!

bhl 01-16-2014 07:16 PM

Jesus, I thought I gave up politics when I got into fishing. Oh well, who else will carry the torch for our children. I just don't understand the end result. 1 fish per person hasn't changed. Someone please enlighten me.

Bhl (Bruce)

B-Faithful 01-16-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reds (Post 17073)

DNR didn't drop the ball or do anything sneaky, MSSA, CCA SFAC and the Maryland Charter Boat Association all dropped the ball.

bull stuffing If they communicated clearly "everyone else" wouldn't have dropped the ball.

reds 01-17-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 17083)
bull stuffing If they communicated clearly "everyone else" wouldn't have dropped the ball.

Spoken like a true school kid..... Man up..... MSSA and CCA reps dropped the ball because they were more interested in commercial regs.