CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Fished with Walleye Pete (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1211)

B-Faithful 02-10-2011 09:36 AM

Fished with Walleye Pete

0................................................. ..................................

crabby and son 02-10-2011 10:00 AM

What kind of boat does Pete have:D What a great day. Heard you all got tired of catching fish:rolleyes:................Gary

5th Tuition 02-10-2011 10:41 AM

I still have a sore arm from the Monday trip:D.
Nice Looking fish.
5th (Marty)

Fish Nut 02-10-2011 12:28 PM

You guys are killing me. I passed up an invite for this trip:(

I won't miss the next one.

glad you guys had a great day:D

Mark 02-10-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 9834)
Pete did a great job keeping us on the fish .

not to demean Pete, but this made me LOL. I'm pretty sure a blind squirrel could "stay on the bite" in a concentrated fishing area the size of a football field as long as they aren't running their engine up the middle of the fishing area, stomping around, yelling and screaming, and shutting the bite down for everyone.

Blakesdad 02-10-2011 01:18 PM

Mark, youd be surprised.. The fish aren't where they normally are, and it takes someone with real knowledge of that area to find them.

Pete's walk on's a are a bargain at $60 a head.

That place will be a ZOO this weekend, with temps in the mid 40's to 50.

But call Lily first, for an accurate forecast....:D:D:D

Steve F 02-10-2011 01:37 PM

Pete has those fish diled in just hope they are there on Sunday when we go with him. Good to see you guys got some fish and they are some nice ones.

Ask Marty what he was using to jig all those fish up :D

Mark 02-10-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blakesdad (Post 9840)
Mark, youd be surprised.. The fish aren't where they normally are, and it takes someone with real knowledge of that area to find them.

I'm there multiple times per week Brian, pretty soon with the New boat traffic they will be somewhere else. I checked with Lily he said don't fish till April.

B-Faithful 02-10-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blakesdad (Post 9840)

I agree that finding some fish is not hard there when the fish are around. however pete did a good job at keeping us on the bite. As soon as we moved off the fish, he had us right back on them.

I also agree that Pete's prices are a bargin. It is less expensive for me to fish with him than to trailer my boat to Ches beach or solomons and run my boat there. I felt at home on his boat too ;)

reeltor 02-11-2011 08:24 AM

Greg,

You are not allowed to fish with anything less than a trolling rod and a jig weighing less than 4oz.
Didn't you read TF? ;)

Hockleyneck 02-11-2011 09:13 AM

Greg,
You look pretty happy in that picture, nice work on the feesh.

Mark 02-11-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeltor (Post 9854)
Greg,

You are not allowed to fish with anything less than a trolling rod and a jig weighing less than 4oz.
Didn't you read TF? ;)

Who says that isn't what he was using?

drichitt 02-12-2011 11:14 PM

Amazing.....:D

Hockleyneck 02-13-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drichitt (Post 9887)

I spoke to Pete about a trip this Wednesday. Pete mentioned the outflow was slowing down today so he was not sure how the fishing was going to be. Assuming Pete goes, it will be me, Mark Sun and Joe Bode (another retired guy). Anybody want to go?

reeltor 02-13-2011 12:24 PM

morning or afternoon?
I'll try to get my schedule worked out and will drop you a pm

Bug Guy 02-13-2011 04:11 PM

OK, a $60 walk on with Pete would be awesome! What are you guys doing, just calling Pete and asking? I can't find anything on the web about walk-on trips. If anyone is looking to fill a boat, I have a somewhat flexible schedule and a really understanding wife, and I'd be interested.

reeltor 02-13-2011 09:25 PM

Bug,
Call Pete and ask to be put on his newsletter list.

Rivercat09 02-14-2011 12:39 PM

Congratulations! Looked like you all had a blast. Someday I'll have to go on one of Pete's trips to sharpen my skills.

jumbo1 02-14-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drichitt (Post 9887)

Thats the same thing I was thinking......

Rex 02-21-2011 08:56 AM

I would appreciate coordinates along with an aerial image of this location. It sounds like a unique area that holds fish in the dead of winter.

B-Faithful 02-21-2011 11:18 AM

Rex, I am sorry but it is a top secret area.. this was not one of the areas referenced in a Saltwater Sportsman article last year, found on serveral local angler blogs, or in guide newsletters that market their services, etc. There are never yearly fishing reports from this area on popular forums. It is also not the same area that a boat sunk and got a lot of attention either.

Very few know about this area and very few fish there in the winter. If you do decide you want to fish this top secret area, You have to have a special pass from a few self appointed fishermen and only enjoy one method of fishing (dont get caught fishing with another method at anytime throughout the year or it will be deemed a conspiracy against other anglers.. heaven forbid you be just a fisherman who wants to just go catch fish).. I also think if you are into the most sporting acts of fishing that you may want to avoid fishing here. It is just too easy some days.

BTW, I call the Bay Bridge as mine this summer :cool::D

Hockleyneck 02-21-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 9973)
Rex, I am sorry but it is a top secret area.. this was not one of the areas referenced in a Saltwater Sportsman article last year, found on serveral local angler blogs, or in guide newsletters that market their services, etc. There are never yearly fishing reports from this area on popular forums. It is also not the same area that a boat sunk and got a lot of attention either.

Very few know about this area and very few fish there in the winter. If you do decide you want to fish this top secret area, You have to have a special pass from a few self appointed fishermen and only enjoy one method of fishing (dont get caught fishing with another method at anytime throughout the year or it will be deemed a conspiracy against other anglers.. heaven forbid you be just a fisherman who wants to just go catch fish).. I also think if you are into the most sporting acts of fishing that you may want to avoid fishing here. It is just too easy some days.

BTW, I call the Bay Bridge as mine this summer :cool::D

Back to your driveway for spring trolling practice before someone takes you to the woodshed. :p

jumbo1 02-21-2011 02:39 PM

How are you going to troll in/around/under the bay bridge?

B-Faithful 02-21-2011 02:45 PM

very carefully...

jumbo1 02-21-2011 02:49 PM

Skill....Yep...Amazing...

oldfart 02-21-2011 05:17 PM

I want to see a trolling exibition in the rips, prove how good you are. 24oz and 6bars with the outflow from a dead stop. My guess 6' before they hang

5th Tuition 02-21-2011 05:38 PM

Now that I'm a bonafide jigger (which reminds me I still have to pick up my new SteveF rod); I can understand keeping certain spots as quiet as possible. I have a lot of learning to do to find areas that hold fish where I can jig them. However, the "secret spot" referred to here is far from secret. So now you have to factor into the equation the fact that it is "best" when only a few boats are working the same area. Engine noise, and other variables mean the "spot" can shut down if worked too hard.
But let's face it, most of us have our personal boats "winterized" and covered. If we get out, espescially with a guide, with someone who knows the area and the etiquette needed to successfully fish the area without negatively affecting the other boats, I would think we could post without endangering the "spot".
If I go with Pete this summer and we are successful, I will only say something like, "went to some islands on the eastern shore and tore them up". If I go with a private boat, I won't even go that far. I'll only say we had a great day jigging with Don.
Whenever I go on someone elses boat. I usually don't post at all:). I let the captain post first and I will add a thank you or something like that to the post. If the captain wants to "burn" his spot, that's ok, but I will never burn his spot for him.
Even trolling on my own boat, I usually just give an area (like Bloody Point, or Love Point).
But I would say the area we are talking about is "famous" for holding fish in the winter. It's hard to "burn" a spot like that.
5th (Marty)

jumbo1 02-21-2011 05:52 PM

Marty I agree with everything you said except for the last line...it's actually very easy to burn a well known spot..for guys like you and me and lots of regulars its just well known info..
I'm talking about the other people "lurkers' if you will..on TFish there are close to 60,000 people I think someone said..it only takes a few to see big fish pics and background to figure out where it is...getting up at 4am trailering 50 miles each way just so some "guy" who read a post and wants to try to see if he can catcha biggun...runs his motor..etc...ruins it for everyone...now I have been there days when there are 10 boats fishing...everyone knows the game and fishing is good..on the other side I have seen 4 or 5 boats and 1 idiot..fishing is done..
I'm all for everyone catching it's great..any pics that you see from the regular guys who don't post it on TFish won't have background..

I don't own the place it's just aggravating.. If everyone had the class that you have we wouldn't have a problem....'
I'm afraid that trollers and jiggers are worlds apart when it comes to burning spots...

Skip 02-21-2011 06:08 PM

Couple ways to look at giving away too much info.

Use TF as an example.

Someone writes a post with a channel marker as location.

The post gets 800 views. 100 think it would be good to fish there.
50 make plans to go.

25 have time to go but never get there.

5 at best really go.

Other thing is fish often move or just do not bite.

I can give you numbers for a wreck in upper bay. It is only good on outgoing current. Fish it any other time - skunk city.

Fish follow certain patterns ( most years ) based on season.
It is no secret where to look for them and when.

Fishing a powerplant discharge in winter is good in most cold areas in winter.

Hardly a secret.

jumbo1 02-21-2011 06:15 PM

OK Skip heres the scenario...you like to live line...only 1 piling is holding fish on the BB...you get there and there are 6 boats around your piling...knowing thats the only one that holds fish what do you do?
And you can't say I'm going to anchor up and eat some donuts..:D
On another note if spot burning doesn't matter how come you guys don't mention piling numbers when you anchor up? (Though I will say you give out more info than most)..your kind of an exception to the rule..

jumbo1 02-21-2011 06:18 PM

So here's what we will do to make it fair...this summer when you guys are live lining please stand in front of the piling that you caught your fish on with number in view...same thing as pics in front of the rips..It's no secret that the BB holds fish in the summer...the reason you guys don't do it is because your smart enough not to ruin your spot...this is the point I'm trying to make..

Skip 02-21-2011 06:26 PM

Jumbo - Many times my first choice to fish is taken.

I love the area near CP marker in spring but if boats are there - I go north / south a touch. You know too well , boat noise can move fish.

Same thing wreck fishing offshore , fishing bridge pilings , oyster humps - not uncommon to fall have to fall back on plan B , C or D.

Even 65 miles offshore - little humps - it can get crowded.

One reason I fish weekdays if I can.

I hesitate to put up GPS numbers - not to be selfish but in fear the fish will move and folks think I mislead them.

I have left a school biting at 8pm and back there next morning at 6 am - the fish are gone. Find them later 2 miles away. I just laughed but someone banking on my numbers would cuss me for days.

One exception is Hacketts can. I'm 99% confident Perch will be there the next day.

jumbo1 02-21-2011 06:31 PM

Skip, you're missing the point....in my "test" question...only 1 piling has fish in the whole area (like the rips)...you get there and all possible ways to fish it are exhausted...because you posted a pic of the number of the piling...what are you going to do... keep posting a pic of the piling?...encourage others to do the same?..I think not..

JigStix 02-21-2011 06:40 PM

The problem isn't the spot being known or not. It's that some fellers put their time in while most of you yayhoos are sitting at home dreaming of potential VT weddings with fishing partners, telling stories about your daddy on Internet fishing lists, or grab a$$ing with life partners. Then you take a chartered trip and post details like you discovered the new world. Then those MEN who have been there while you were cuddled up in your 100000 thread count satin sheets show up hoping to catch fish and there's 9 boats at a time there's normally only 1 or 2. All because you are an attention whore who was lacking attention and some hugs from your Daddy as a kid. Some get it, some are starting to, and some never will. See ya at the gas docks ladies!!!

5th Tuition 02-21-2011 07:20 PM

I guess I'm just so new to this jigging stuff that I ought to just keep my mouth shut and ears open. I've learned from experience that it's hard to listen while trying to talk over the other person.

If I can speak for some of the "trolling" guys for a minute; let's just say we are thrilled to be as successful as we were during this time of the year, and are possibly over jubilent to share it with others.

If we are going to "step into your world"; the least we can do is "play by your rules".

I'm sure as I try to expand my knowledge of jigging, I will be guilty of even more indiscrestions. Please feel free to contact me by PM as I would like to be known as an asset and not a liability to the jigging community.

Let's hope we all learned something from the debate. I hope everyone has a spactacular year this season no matter how they catch them.
5th (Marty)

p.s. jigstix; I'm going to give you a pass on the namecalling (yahoo's vs MEN) and consider you were just very frustrated this evening. If you intended to call us out, then I'm sorry for your reaction. Teach; don't alienate.

jumbo1 02-21-2011 07:23 PM

Marty...Agreed

JigStix 02-21-2011 08:27 PM

Wasn't talking about you Marty

There are yayhoos that did and do what I described. Did not see you do that. Those same people, continue to antagonize and bait some of the fishermen that fish this area but when we see them fishing this spring, and point out exactly where they were, I'm sure they will not be as understanding as they expect Jumbo and others to be. But please turn the sarcasm detector on. I don't truly believe they are all headed to VT to get married even though I said it.

der Fischadler 02-21-2011 08:30 PM

Burning Spots

Give your report, post your pictures, and enjoy the day. Share your tactics and techniques but don't give out the exact spot on a well known and visited website. It's a bad idea for many of the reasons already mentioned.
If you disagree, you probably haven't experienced the negative results of sharing with the wrong crowd and probably will never be given information in the future.
I believe there are always people catching fish in certain areas way before the word gets out to the world. They enjoy success because they like catching fish with their friends more than they enjoy bragging about their "special spot."
That is all. And since when did this site become some individuals Facebook page?
MRN
p.s. Welcome back, Rex.

5th Tuition 02-21-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JigStix (Post 9994)
Wasn't talking about you Marty

There are yayhoos that did and do what I described. Did not see you do that. Those same people, continue to antagonize and bait some of the fishermen that fish this area but when we see them fishing this spring, and point out exactly where they were, I'm sure they will not be as understanding as they expect Jumbo and others to be. But please turn the sarcasm detector on. I don't truly believe they are all headed to VT to get married even though I said it.

Thanks JigStix, for a while there I though I might have to cross you off my Christmas card list:D. Sarcasm is sometimes hard to distinguish.
5th (Marty)

Mikie 02-21-2011 09:47 PM

Well, there aren't 60,000 active viewers on Toilet Flush. Fish don't only hang around one piling on the Bay Bridge. If these things bother you, you should STOP posting reports. Face facts, you're only bragging about how good you think you are. Last time I checked, it was still ALMOST a free country. Post if you want, the other guys will post if they want. If you don't like it, don't read about it. Just stop crying because some people don't behave the way you would like them to.:)