CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   46 Markley (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=2833)

Tawn 03-12-2015 05:39 PM

46 Markley

8 Attachment(s)
Completed the USCG inspection and got some new pics. All went well - Certified for 17 + 2. The Delaware Bay was at 3-4 feet so we got to see how she rode in less than desirable conditions - we were pleased. At 17kts we were burning 12 GPH - not too shabby for a heavy 46' boat. 23kts on the pin. Probably see a knot or two more on a calm day.
Power is a Cummins QSC 8.3 490 (Has 804 hours on it).

We plan to move it to Deale next weekend - ice should have receded enough by then.

We already have the trolling valve purchased and a welder on standby for roof rod holders.

Tawn 03-12-2015 05:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Few engineering pics.

Ample room around the engine to work on it.

Bilges are all spotless.

And the wiring is exceptionally squared away.

Chessie27 03-12-2015 07:08 PM

She's a sweet looking rig!! Maybe we can all pitch in a few bucks and buy you some life jackets, it obvious you don't have nearly enough!!! :D

May she bring you much joy ( and $) !!

5th Tuition 03-12-2015 07:24 PM

Tawn; the pics were great. Thanks for posting them. I simply can't wait to "pinch a loaf" in the head:eek:

Congratulations
5th

Mako mike 03-12-2015 07:24 PM

Congratulations on the new ride! She looks sweet. Always have loved Markley's. Diesel fumes in the morning, smells like......... Victory!

bhl 03-12-2015 07:33 PM

Tawn,
You just don't find a vessel that clean every day. She's pretty. I'll bet the seller had a hard time letting her go. Congrats and be careful on the trip down.

No Ragrets 03-13-2015 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhl (Post 19450)
Tawn,
You just don't find a vessel that clean every day. She's pretty. I'll bet the seller had a hard time letting her go. Congrats and be careful on the trip down.

I agree, That boat looks extremely clean.

Barefoot 03-13-2015 01:34 PM

That looks more 100 hrs than 800. Really nice.

Skip 03-13-2015 06:57 PM

Markleys are tough boats.

Congrats on getting her.

One favor - next time out of water , take 4-5 photos of running gear. Big help to a diver if you need one.

mlag 03-17-2015 11:36 AM

Very Nice! Congrats! I'm sure we will be seeing her in the neighborhood quite frequently

Moorehaven 03-17-2015 06:48 PM

Great looking boat . Markley are a outstanding fishing boat . Congratulations on a pretty ride

Tawn 03-18-2015 05:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the kind words guys ... excited to say the least.

Should have it in Deale this Saturday afternoon.

The gentleman selling the boat didn't troll - strictly chunking, chumming and bottom fishing. Because of that, the boat doesn't have rod holders on the roof for fishing planer boards or a trolling valve to slow it down below 4 Kts.

We already have the trolling valve and it should be installed next week as well. We are still trying to decide if we want a knob or lever control for it .... any thoughts?

Slowly getting gear together of an evening after work .... tonight was planer board assembly. Don't make fun of the ugly ass blanket ...lol

5th Tuition 03-18-2015 05:48 PM

Boards look great Tawn. But; you weren't "lion" about that rug:eek:
5th

Skip 03-18-2015 05:59 PM

One very important thing with a trolling valve - be sure throttle can not be pushed forward too far by accident. If engaged and throttle is pushed forward - the transmission will be fried in literally a few seconds :eek:

Some trolling valves use a push type button that prevents throttle from going forward. You pull throttle back to neutral - this disengages trolling valve - then throttle can be used normally.

I've seen guys put a red solo cup over throttle as reminder trolling valve is engaged - does no good if someone leans and bumps throttle forward.

Don't want to spook you but one bump can ruin a $$$$$$ tranny.

Tawn 03-18-2015 06:25 PM

Going with the tennis ball on the throttle trick.

The ZF tranny is a touch over $15K new.

B-Faithful 03-18-2015 06:51 PM

I am excited for you Tawn!

some NOAA charts for you to check out

DE Bay
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12304.shtml

DE river to C&D
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12311.shtml

C&D
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12277.shtml

Upper Chesapeake
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12273.shtml

bhl 03-18-2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawn (Post 19504)
Thanks for the kind words guys ... excited to say the least.

Should have it in Deale this Saturday afternoon.

The gentleman selling the boat didn't troll - strictly chunking, chumming and bottom fishing. Because of that, the boat doesn't have rod holders on the roof for fishing planer boards or a trolling valve to slow it down below 4 Kts.

We have a pipe welder meeting us Saturday evening to take measurements for the roof rod holders and a tiered and staggered set of rod holders on the engine box.

We already have the trolling valve and it should be installed next week as well. We are still trying to decide if we want a knob or lever control for it .... any thoughts?

Slowly getting gear together of an evening after work .... tonight was planer board assembly. Don't make fun of the ugly ass blanket ...lol

Tawn,
Not sure about a lever or knob. Will it be integrated with the regular throttle lever so that you can't mess up and try to get on plane while in trolling mode? If it is a seperate control, I would get a lever next to the throttle so that I would have to see it and it would remind me to turn it off before getting up on plane. Mine is electronic and I can't go over 5 knots in trolling mode.

Tawn 03-19-2015 03:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the charts Greg. We just bought a chart for the Delaware Bay end of the Canal and for the Northern end of the Bay but I will save these to the iPad we are taking as a backup chart plotter.

As to the trolling valve / throttle control.

There aren't any electronic controls on this boat - we have old fashioned, reliable Kobelt cable controls.

For the trolling valve we have it narrowed down to either a Teleflex Knob type control or a traditional Morse single lever control.

Our thoughts are the knob would be better because:

1) It would be easier to really dial in trolling speed with the knob
2) It's 1/6th the cost
3) It would take up less space and would be a little less "in your face" on the helm than another lever.

For a mechanical safety interlock, I have seen a lot of different things used. One was a hinge screwed to the throttle cover - when you engaged the trolling valve, you flip the hinge over and it would prevent the throttle from being advanced. I plan on slicing a red tennis ball and placing it on the the throttle lever whenever the trolling valve is engaged to remind myself and hopefully prevent smoking a very expensive transmission.

bhl 03-19-2015 05:23 AM

Plus the knob looks more like something you would find on a submarine;).
I have done the trip through the C+D to Ocean City several times, it's a nice ride. Just don't forget the 6 mile per hour zone in front of the ship yard by Chesapeake City, the police enforce the area.

5th Tuition 03-19-2015 06:42 AM

Have done the Severn River- up the bay- through the canal- down Delaware Bay- up the coast , many times on the trip to Martha's Vinyard:D

No big deal, just follow markers (if the ice hasn't moved them):eek:

Stop in Cape May to eat, stop in Ches. City for a bite, and finally Happy Harbor to celebrate:)

Good luck
5th

5th Tuition 03-19-2015 06:44 AM

By the way; we did Atlantic City to Chesapeake City in one day at 6 knots on the sailboat. Just to give you some perspective- we didn't stop to eat that day:D
5th

Mako mike 03-19-2015 07:09 AM

Depending on weather I may be passing you in a 48 cavalier sport fish that I have to deliver to South Jersey marina in Cape May. Have been putting delivery off but new owner is anxious! Can't understand why this girl is a 10, beautiful inside and out!

Tawn 03-21-2015 02:03 AM

Up at 2:20am this morning - can't sleep. Like a kid before Christmas.

Chessie27 03-21-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawn (Post 19534)
Up at 2:20am this morning - can't sleep. Like a kid before Christmas.

Who could blame you????? :) Xmas is over-rated!! First day with a new rig sure ain't!!!

Tawn 03-22-2015 04:28 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Uneventful trip to Deale from Fortescue, NJ.

Pretty much flat calm and zero ice.

1950 rpm came out to be 16.5 - 17 kts burning 10.1 gallons per hour. Wide open is 2600 rpm. Pushed it up there long enough to see 23 Kts. Engine life and fuel costs being directly proportional to the distance between the red knob and the windshield - we didn't run it hard for long.

The shame is that there were probably 40 people all tracking Happy Harbor parking lot sludge on to the boat yesterday afternoon and the water shut we can't wash it!

5th Tuition 03-22-2015 07:46 AM

WHAT; all that way in one day:eek:

Only made the trip in the sailboat at 6 knots:D It is a nice scenic excursion.
Glad she is "home". Don't worry about the mud, I know you will have her spic and span before very long. The important thing is she is here and can now get those extra rod holders welded:):)

Great looking boat, I know you will be happy with her.
5th

Mako mike 03-22-2015 11:30 AM

Congrats on the safe journey. We showed up in Baltimore yesturday to deliver the 48 cavalier to south Jersey marina only to find a flooded bilge during inspection. Got her pumped out and found split hose on generator though hall and another split line on one of the bilge pumps recirculating the water in the bilge. Owner having mechanic in Baltimore to make repairs and also told. Him that before delivery could be made I wanted a complete bill of health from mechanic before departing. It's amazing how people will spend 100,000's of dollars and not take the time to check on their investments during the winter. Hopefully get her up there next weekend. It's kinda cool in your first picture how chart plotter and radar displays are identical. Looks like radar will not need any calibration. Good luck with her. When is the first CBA trip going to be?

Tawn 03-22-2015 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry to hear about the problem and delay Mike. Hope they get it all taken care of for you.

Spent most of the day putting cleats on the dock where we wanted them and making up dock lines.

Slowly getting our gear aboard.

5th Tuition 03-22-2015 08:06 PM

Tawn; I like the slip location. Is that going to be her permanent slip?
5th

Tawn 03-23-2015 03:10 AM

Yep - that our new home Marty.

Chessie27 03-23-2015 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawn (Post 19546)
Yep - that our new home Marty.

Couldn't you get one any closer to the bar?? That has to be at least a 50' jog!! I thought you knew people down there?? :D

mark1234 03-23-2015 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chessie27 (Post 19547)
That has to be at least a 50' jog!! :D

A jog? How many of us are capable of jogging? Definitely a stroll, maybe a brisk walk...

Congrats on the boat Tawn. Beautiful.

5th Tuition 03-23-2015 10:45 AM

Thankfully; nobody said crawl:D
5th

Chessie27 03-23-2015 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark1234 (Post 19551)
A jog? How many of us are capable of jogging? Definitely a stroll, maybe a brisk walk...

Congrats on the boat Tawn. Beautiful.

I originally typed walk but then thought about the folks getting off that boat would be more likely to jog to the bar! :eek: I figure if there is ever a way to get me to "run" it would be have a bar at the finish line and make sure the starting line is only a weak sand wedge away. :D

Tawn 03-23-2015 06:01 PM

Based on in-depth analysis and research, you don't want to be too close to the bar ..... you have to be outside cigarette flipping distance or the boat will be full of butts. No ****!

Chessie27 03-23-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawn (Post 19556)
Based on in-depth analysis and research, you don't want to be too close to the bar ..... you have to be outside cigarette flipping distance or the boat will be full of butts. No ****!

That thought actually crossed my mind as I have done some in-depth research too. Good call!!

Tawn 03-29-2015 04:31 PM

6 Attachment(s)
My wife says we don't do enough together so this morning I got her up at 7 am and had her come with me in 27 degree temps to take Goof-Off and remove the boats old name from the life ring, life float, paddles and 22 PFDs and then re-stencil the new name on in preps for the USCG inspection Thursday.

I know how to please a woman! :rolleyes:

Chessie27 03-29-2015 06:05 PM

And some people say "chivalry is dead" :eek: You romantic devil you! :D

bhl 03-30-2015 05:07 AM

Somehow I think that is going to cost you a dinner and a drink.