CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   CBA Meeting at Howard's Subway (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=2083)

5th Tuition 01-03-2013 03:32 PM

CBA Meeting at Howard's Subway

Well it's that time of year, when the fishing slows and the flea markets have not yet begun:mad:. So, it looks like a great opportunity to get together again at Howards Subway (711 North Hammonds Ferry Rd. Linthicum, Md. 21090) for a beer and some fishing stories.

I reserved the "game" room for Tuesday night Jan. 8th from 6:30-9:00 pm.

Last year, Rob (fishnut) and his Dad showed up with some of his beautiful parachute lures. His baits are first class in both quality and looks. I even talked him into painting some "chins" on a few baits:D. I also believe he is producing some 2 oz lures this year (previous 3 oz was his lightest). He also sent me a photo of a prototype "slider lure" he is contemplating making. I used "sliders" last PSCR season because I can set the single hook back farther into the shad (close to where a stinger might ride; and I can grind off the hook barb with out destroying the whole bait, as in a regular chute).

Capt. John also came to the meeting and brought some of his lures, spreaders, and umbrellas for those interested in picking up a few rigs for our "resident" rock, blues, and spanish after trophy season ends.

Finally; I have information concerning the trolling rods I purchased from Tochterman's last year. Several of you have expressed interest in getting some of them for this coming year. Tony Tochterman said he will give me the same deal as last year. The rods were $50 for one; $45 for three; or $40 for six or more. He is currently negotiating with the company for this years price and MAY NOT be able to honor this price at the coming flea markets. He will allow us to "bundle" our order. So, If you only want one rod, but five others want one as well, we can put in an order for six and get the lowest price:D.
These rods have been used by me on my boat and on the charter "Patent Pending" all year. They have held up very well, and Tony said he has seen very few come back to the store for repairs. He did suggest using a bead on your line to protect the tip "Eye", as he did see some inserts pop out because of a snap swivel being brought up too high and too fast and damaging the eye. I always run a bead on my, and the charter, equipment.
I will post a photo of the rods in another post. They are available in two sizes; 6ft and 5 1/2 ft. They also come in both med and med/heavy action (I use M/H).

So; if you can get away for a couple hours; I'll see you at Howard's on Tues. night.

5th (Marty)

5th Tuition 01-03-2013 04:11 PM

Trolling rods

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some photo's of the rod that Tony sells.

Starting at the bottom, you will see it has a round gimble. This has two advantages. First, when fighting a fish, the round butt doesn't dig into you and cause discomfort, it is easy on the hip:D. Second, when you put the rod in the holder, it falls easily into place. How many times do you "struggle" to find the bar at the bottom of the holder in order to "seat" the rod in the correct position. The only drawback, is the round butt takes up just a tiny bit more room in the holder, and in mine, it goes in, but when a fish is on and the rod is removed in a hurry, the insert comes out of the holder with the rod:mad:. I simply remove the inserts out of my rocket launchers and all is well:D. It fits just fine in the gunnel holders, no problem:rolleyes:.

Above the gimble, you will see the rod has a "slick butt". This makes it easier to remove the rod from the holder with a heavy fish attached.

Next you will see metal reel seats (gold in color). These are not plastic and hold up well.

Above that is a cushioned "forearm" to give you excelent leverage while fighting your fish.

Finally, you will see 8 line guides on a six ft rod:) The 5 1/2 ft model has 7 rod guides.

I use the 6 ft rods for my board lines, and the 5 1/2 ft rods as my boat rods. The main reason I need two sizes, is if I use the smaller rod on the gunnel, my planer board (weedwacker) line doesn't hit the rod if I have to make a tight turn. I have used the smaller rods with umbrella's back 200 ft with no problem.

For $40 I don't know of another rod that can match it:eek:

5th (Marty)

Skip 01-03-2013 06:21 PM

That is a nice rod and tough to beat the price.

One thing to look at is number of guides. Cheap rods often have only 4.

Seeing 7 and 8 guides on these rods says some thing.

I'll try to make Howard's on Tuesday.

5th Tuition 01-03-2013 07:22 PM

Skip; I hope you can make it, I want you to "spill the beans" on Greg Buckner's spread:D. Dan (1morecast) went with Buckner and I "picked" his brain already:eek:.

Those rods are sweet. I have always used 6 1/2 ft rods, but not only do the 6 ft rods work just as well, they are easier to store in the cabin:).

Captain John liked them so much, that he has become a distributer for them as well. He is such a small operation, I don't know if he can match that price. He did give me three of them as a Christmas present though:D:D:D.

If you think you can make the meeting; please post here on CBA. I can give the barmaid some idea of the number of patrons to expect.
Thanks,
5th (Marty)

PhilK999 01-03-2013 08:47 PM

Sorry I can't make it, already have 2 things happening that evening.

Ed and I do want to pick up some more of Captain John's lures for the resident fish. Are you all going to be at any of the shows this winter?

5th Tuition 01-03-2013 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=PhilK999 Ed and I do want to pick up some more of Captain John's lures for the resident fish. Are you all going to be at any of the shows this winter?[/QUOTE]

Captain John and I will be at the Kent Island MSSA show and I'm guessing he will be at the Tri-State show because it's in his own backyard (Deale).
5th (Marty)

Spot77 01-04-2013 10:24 AM

I'm in for a beer or three.

Fish Nut 01-04-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 14734)
Captain John and I will be at the Kent Island MSSA show and I'm guessing he will be at the Tri-State show because it's in his own backyard (Deale).
5th (Marty)

There goes the neighborhood …..:D

Place two more on the List.

I will bring some new lures I have been working on. I always like to add some new things each year.

So far I have:

slider lures

Small 1oz nylon Buck tail lures with a 4” teaser 6 pack.

I also have a sweet gold color I am using this year.

And some other top secret designs BIG LIPPED RUBY…..

I heard Howard’s Has a drink called the Rattle Trap?:eek: Mike must be making his rounds!!!!!!!

5th Tuition 01-04-2013 02:11 PM

Rob; glad you and your dad can make it. Capt John wants to put in an order for more of your lures:D.
5th (Marty)

Spot77 01-04-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Nut (Post 14737)
There goes the neighborhood …..:D

Place two more on the List.

I will bring some new lures I have been working on. I always like to add some new things each year.

So far I have:

slider lures

Small 1oz nylon Buck tail lures with a 4” teaser 6 pack.

I also have a sweet gold color I am using this year.

And some other top secret designs BIG LIPPED RUBY…..

I heard Howard’s Has a drink called the Rattle Trap?:eek: Mike must be making his rounds!!!!!!!

I'm real interested in that 1oz nylon Buck tail lure with the 4” teaser 6 pack....I'll tell you why at Howard's. :D

You know any drink named in Mike's honor will contain at least 2 different types of rum and is guarunteed to kick your ass.:cool:

5th Tuition 01-04-2013 03:05 PM

From PM's and text messaging, looks like about 13 people so far:D
5th (Marty)

garlien 01-05-2013 02:42 PM

Soon we are going to have to move out of the small room to the whole bar !

Thanks for pulling us together Marty...

5th Tuition 01-05-2013 07:08 PM

Mike; that's what's good about a Tuesday night. Not a very busy night for the bar. We should have plenty of elbow room even if we expand beyond the "game" room:D

Of course, I know you are used to the "private" room with champange drinks and a pole:D.
5th (Marty)

garlien 01-05-2013 08:23 PM

Going to have to make the Champagne Room another night...Course, I know we would all have some fun....

www.fantasiesnightclub.com

$1.50 beers all night !

I know Dan is in....

:)

Fish Nut 01-06-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garlien (Post 14745)
Going to have to make the Champagne Room another night...Course, I know we would all have some fun....

www.fantasiesnightclub.com

$1.50 beers all night !

I know Dan is in....

I don't know if they would let us bring hooks into that fine establishment "ouch":eek:

I am just saying something is going to get snaged.

Spot77 01-06-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Nut (Post 14747)
I don't know if they would let us bring hooks into that fine establishment "ouch":eek:

I am just saying something is going to get snaged.

"I thought this was the fishing pier," said the blind man.

:eek:

5th Tuition 01-07-2013 12:44 PM

I have the room reserved from 6:30 to 9pm. I am going to try to be there at 6:30 but I may be just a tad later.
See you all there;
5th (Marty)

Skip 01-07-2013 03:04 PM

Last one there picks up the tab :D

5th Tuition 01-07-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 14760)
Last one there picks up the tab :D

Good; I'll tell Capt John to get there about 8:45:D

Looks like a good group. We should have around 20 anglers.

5th (Marty)

5th Tuition 01-07-2013 07:14 PM

Just a heads up about tomorrow's meeting; you certainly don't need to buy any tackle, this is just a group of anglers having a beer and swapping stories; but if you need any Captain John spoons/spreaders or Rob's parachutes, they will be available. I asked one or two other guys to bring some of the things they make in their garage as well so we can discuss how they make tackle or what materials they use.

see you all there
Marty

5th Tuition 01-09-2013 05:29 PM

Thanks to all who turned out last night at Howards Subway.

Maybe we will do it again just before the season starts this spring.

Went to Tochterman's today and the Ande rods are in:D:D

I'll see you all at the Flea Markets,
5th (Marty)

Chessie27 01-09-2013 06:29 PM

Sorry I missed it but I didn't get out of work til after 6 and it's about an 1.5 hour drive. I will certainly try to make it next time if you do it again.
Jeff

bhl 01-10-2013 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 14791)
Thanks to all who turned out last night at Howards Subway.

Maybe we will do it again just before the season starts this spring.

Went to Tochterman's today and the Ande rods are in:D:D

I'll see you all at the Flea Markets,
5th (Marty)

Marty,
Thanks for the invite. I had a nice time and it was great to meet some of the people from CBA and see some of the tackle that is available.

Bruce

Skip 01-10-2013 11:26 AM

That was fun - thanks for taking time to organize it.

garlien 01-10-2013 12:45 PM

Bruce,

Great to meet you and catch up with others...Always a good time and great folks...

Of course I need to get Lou to talk a little more next time I see him !

5th Tuition 01-11-2013 09:45 AM

I'm going to tack this onto this thread because I talked about these rods in an earlier post.

I picked up my rods from Tony Tachterman yesterday and spent the day swapping out my older rods:D. Now I have 18 rods that match. This is the first time since I began boating that this has happened. When I was on Don's boat and also on Jeff's; I noticed how good it looked to have all the rods match:eek:. I had a number of rods that needed some work (lost a gimbel or eye) so these rods will replace them. I had purchased six last year from Tony, I picked up two from Warren's when they were going out of business, and Capt John gave me three for a Christmas present:). So, I bought seven more yesterday:eek::eek:.
At $40 a rod (if you buy six or more), it hardly pays to get an old rod fixed (at least that's what I told my wife).

So if you are in the market for some new trolling rods, see Dee (Tony's wife) at the flea markets this winter.

5th (Marty)

bhl 01-12-2013 09:59 PM

Picked up 2 myself the other day. Good deal.

5th Tuition 01-12-2013 11:15 PM

Bruce, I hope you didn't pay the $50 price. I hope you "piggybacked" with someone else to get the lower price. If I had known, you could have gone in with us. We picked up a total of 15 for three guys:D
5th

Chessie27 01-13-2013 05:37 PM

Marty- I think you better get at least 10 extra!! After all, the ones you were replacing got banged up somehow, what if the same thing happens to these? :eek: As you probably noticed, I am a beleiver in "if nothing else, you need to LOOK like you know what your doing" and YOU have the fortune of actually catching fish to boot. Sweet combination if you ask me :D:D