CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Give up your secrets (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=401)

5th Tuition 01-27-2010 11:42 PM

Give up your secrets

No; I'm not talking about your favorite spot, your favorite lure, or how you work your jig to provoke a strike. I'm talking about your "go to" food or drink that makes fish strike when the going is slow.
For years, I have always carried "Mountain Dew" with me to sacrifice to the fishing gods. Many a fisherman has heard me say "guess I have to break out the Mountain Dew" in order to serve as a catalyst.
Now there are two ways to make the "Dew" work. Most of the time, I just need to crack the top and drink it with my sandwich. Usually; midway through my lunch, a rod goes down and I have to sit my sandwich (or peanut butter crackers) down to reel in a fish. BUT; if no strikes come from drinking the Dew; you have to pour the last of it over the side and actually feed the gods it's golden nectur.
The Mountain Dew thing is a personal ritual between you and the fish; after all you don't "pass the Dew around" to your other fishing buddies. But this year, as several of my fishing friends will attest, we have found a "community" food to share among all the parties on the boat.
What could this wonder food be? It's strawberry lickerish:D. No kidding, we would open up a bag, pass it around for all to take a couple pieces, and settle in on some fine fishing.
I know I'm taking a big chance here. Everyone wants to protect our fishery, and here I am telling you how to "harass" more of our stock. But what the hell, I figure most of you will forget about me parting this knowledge by the time spring rolls around.
At the last PSG meeting, Capt. George said he had two outside tables still available. I wonder if I leased a table and filled it with Mountain Dew and lickerish, how much money would I make selling those items?

What makes it on your boat, and why? 5th (Marty)

B-Faithful 01-28-2010 07:39 AM

My staple are pretzel rods... However another CBAngler got me hooked on fried chicken.

While I love eating raw oysters. I am not sure Skips oyster donut sandwich will ever take off for me :eek:

goinsfishin 01-28-2010 07:45 AM

Everyone on board MUST have a quarter in their pocket when we leave the dock.......if it's slow catching we recite the top secret fishing chant and flip the quarters over....a donation to the Fish Gods.....never fails if done properly!

Any angler on board who catches their first rockfish or their personal best rockfish....MUST kiss the fish to appease the Fish Gods....it's bad fishing mojo if they don't.

NO BANANAS !!!!!!!

onefishnfool 01-28-2010 08:16 AM

If it is slow, I turn the radio on. If that doesn't do it, I put in a cd of Korn, Godsmack, or something of that sort. Always seems to work.

Stinkbait 01-28-2010 08:26 AM

Gotta crank up some Honky Tonk Badonkadonk. If fish can hear the noise in yer boat, they like that noise....always works.

Bug Guy 01-28-2010 08:44 AM

Friend chicken used to be the ticket...but a combination of diets, laziness, and a lack of chicken places that were trailer friendly put that to a temporary halt.

Now, it's usually wawa pepperoni and cheese - make sure to rub the grease on the lure. Beef Jerky works too.

But for me, and that person I fish with the most (Morsax) it's also about don'ts:
- No bananas
- No sun-in in your hair (it's a long story)

The thing that really works for those on the boat with me is usually when I start bitching and whining about something stupid I did (birdsnest, hook in finger, heat stroke, whatever). Almost no fail, we start catching fish.

I also have the most disgusting lucky fishing hat that has never been washed, and I had a no-skunk streak going for like 3 years that ended this past fall.

Spot77 01-28-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goinsfishin (Post 3755)
Any angler on board who catches their first rockfish or their personal best rockfish....MUST kiss the fish to appease the Fish Gods....it's bad fishing mojo if they don't.

After every fish I catch, I must give both audible and inaudible thanks to the fishing gods, or I SWEAR I won't catch another fish all day.

Garlien has been with me; he knows. :rolleyes:

As to my "go to" food or drink either to change my luck or to celebrate, it's usually Sangria.

Steve F 01-28-2010 11:37 AM

I have to have my Gator Aid with me or it’s a total lost. I also kiss some fish before sending them free but not all of them just the big uns. If the fishing is real slow I ask the Big Guy upstairs to help us out and most of the time he does come thru. I will have to say that one guy that fishes with me (Uncle Phill) brings a banana with him and so far it has not matter…. :eek:

Bug Guy 01-28-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goinsfishin (Post 3755)

OK, I'm going to share a story about Morsax - last year, we fished a boat who's captain we knew relatively well. The mate however, was new and didn't know Hans or I. Hans reeled in a nice rock and it spit up a big half digested alewife. The mate says, "you gotta finish eating that or it's bad luck", thinking his kidding would get some response from us, like an uneasy "ya right". Hans picks up the alewife and takes an emphatic bite without even blinking an eye. I thought the mate was gonna die from either being grossed out or thinking he talked a "normal" person into eating a half digested alewife. It was classic.

Fish Nut 01-28-2010 12:40 PM

One ofour secrets on the boat is pepper fish. I usually practice pepper fish in the spring season. I have two jars of home grown peppers I grew in the garden and do they pack a punch. One jalapeño and one Habanero. If you catch a fish less than 40” you must sample from the jalapeño jar for the fish to be recognized by the crew. If the fish breaks the 40 Mark the game is stepped up a notch and must sample from Habanero jar. I have never seen more people pray for small fish :D . This practice was a big hit last year and seem to help us catch more fish.

5th Tuition 01-28-2010 01:08 PM

[QUOTE= If you catch a fish less than 40” you must sample from the jalapeño jar for the fish to be recognized by the crew. If the fish breaks the 40 Mark you game is stepped up a notch and must sample from Habanero jar. I have never seen more people pray for small fish :D . This practice was a big hit last year and seem to help us catch more fish.[/QUOTE]

Bob; You may be the one praying for me to catch an under 40 inch fish. What size holding tank do you have on that Carolina Classic:D. 5th (Marty)

Skip 01-28-2010 01:33 PM

Gotta have chocolate donuts :D. It does not help catch but I just love donuts.

On slow days - I take a 7/0 hook and repeatly stab my wrist or leg. The blood running out the scupper seems to draw fish to the lures :p:p.

I will say - more then once on a slow day - the cell phone ringing triggers a hit.

garlien 01-28-2010 01:53 PM

So as Scott (Spot77) knows...The juice from a fresh lime, just cut with a fillet knife (well used) is perfect attraction for fish...or maybe that is just me enjoying the sun and cold beer...

Fish Nut 01-28-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 3765)
Bob; You may be the one praying for me to catch an under 40 inch fish. What size holding tank do you have on that Carolina Classic:D. 5th (Marty)

Not big enough. :D We have had a few crew running for the john when we make it back to the dock.

Now add a few adult beverages to the toxic mix. :eek:

What was even funnier a few younger gentlemen went to the TIKIi bar last year after fishing. They were wondering why no one would stand next to them.

Spot77 01-28-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garlien (Post 3768)
So as Scott (Spot77) knows...The juice from a fresh lime, just cut with a fillet knife (well used) is perfect attraction for fish...or maybe that is just me enjoying the sun and cold beer...

Is it April yet? :rolleyes:

Rivercat09 01-28-2010 02:24 PM

Prertty much, any time we decide its slow and break out lunch in general, we seem to hook up. It's worked with me on charters, HO'ing, and on my own boat.

I was with Skip last fall, it was slow, and I was literally reaching for a donut when a rod went off. My wife ended up catching a 44-inch behemouth.

Francis 01-28-2010 05:44 PM

I don't eat or drink on my boat until a limit is caught or at least a limit equivilant or we are doing well.

People who have fished with me will observe that I can go for hours. . .

Sometime when I am trolling and nobody is catching I'll cheat. . .

Hakuna Matata 01-28-2010 06:04 PM

I don't like pee'ing over the side, but whenever it gets to the point when I can't hold it and decide to whip it out....wouldn't you know a fish always hits while I'm in mid-stream.

-JB

Baldzilla 01-28-2010 07:18 PM

Fried Chicken replaced the donut two years ago, you're welcome Greg :D

I have a new secret weapon but you must step aboard to sample!!! I won't even show you the fish it has produced this year, it's that secret, but it does not allow letting Marty touch a net I'll tell you that!

Shawn Kimbro 01-28-2010 09:33 PM

I carry a flask containing a mixture of whiskey and peach schnapps. Not only makes the fish bite, but makes it look like there are twice as many!

Spot77 01-29-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Kimbro (Post 3792)
I carry a flask containing a mixture of whiskey and peach schnapps. Not only makes the fish bite, but makes it look like there are twice as many!

...and twice as big too! Like that 2 pound YP in your photo!

:D

garlien 01-29-2010 10:28 AM

What kind of whiskey ?

That sounds really good...

Before I try it, are you serious ?

Sounds like an old favorite of mine...Peach Moonshine...

Spot77 01-29-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garlien (Post 3797)
What kind of whiskey ?

We're gonna' have to go all out sailor this summer and load up on the rum and pineapple.

As I look at the weather channel and notice that it's 26 degrees out I think outloud, "Is it April yet?" :(

Shawn Kimbro 01-29-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

What kind of whiskey ?

Yes, I am serious. It's also my summer bar drink of choice. Jack Daniels with a floater of Mathilde peach or pear. A taste of the south.

Shawn Kimbro 01-29-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spot77 (Post 3795)
...and twice as big too! Like that 2 pound YP in your photo!

:D

Considering it's a brook trout, I may not be the only one hitting the flask! :D

Spot77 01-30-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn Kimbro (Post 3810)
Considering it's a brook trout, I may not be the only one hitting the flask! :D

Well I'm blind in one eye and can't see nuthin' out the other.

Maybe that's why I keep catching all those Crappie out at Baltimore Light. :D

spynet000 01-31-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Dead serious! There should be a bottle of wild turkey rollin around crocketts reel as well. The flask always gets them going though.

Old No.7 02-01-2010 11:30 AM

Luckily I like Jalepino peppers... I'd be eating alot of them! :D