CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What kind of fishing do you like the most (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=467)

tacklemake 02-17-2010 11:32 PM

What kind of fishing do you like the most

I love to live line for stripers in the fall,go musky and crappie in spring, go bassin and perch fishin in summer.

crabby and son 02-17-2010 11:40 PM

Any kind of fishing for me. I enjoy live lining the most but like to mix it up with trolling, jigging, surf casting,off shore,crabbing and clamming. I'm not great at any one but like to mix it up. I think the best part is the friends you fish with..........Gary

5th Tuition 02-17-2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacklemake (Post 4348)
I love to live line for strippers in the fall.

Woody; where do you live line for strippers? I like "Chey Joey" down on Baltimore Street. The Strippers are a little older than the one's at "Hustlers"; but they are easier to reel in. What's the best bait?

p.s. Sorry, to do that to you man; but Woody and Strippers was just too easy:D.

Night Nurse 02-18-2010 12:00 AM

I love breaking fish in the summer at sunset. I just put my rod down and keep unhooking fish for the wife and kids. All while puffing a Camancho and drinkin a cold brew!

Life can be good
TED

powerplay 02-18-2010 08:36 AM

Anytime i can get out on the water is good. Catching is a bonus. I think the fall and ltjing is my favorite and seeing breaking fish. Just being out with friends and family is the main thing. When i light tackle fish i keep looking for this other judge B something but never see him LIGHT TACKLE JIGGING.:D:D:D:D

Bend-Lure 02-18-2010 08:55 AM

Trolling with planer boards. I like all the gear. Second would be trolling for tuna offshore. My favorite fishing style changes every few years. Used to be bottom bouncing live eels. Who knows whats next. Maybe jigging for tuna.

B-Faithful 02-18-2010 09:01 AM

For stripers:
i like trolling or chumming during trophy season
chumming from mothers day- 4th of July
Jigging small fish or light tackle troll from 4th of july-fall fishing
Jigging, chumming, light tackle trolling from late sept-migratory run
late fall eeling or trolling.

I dont get into the croaker or perch fishing. I really like flounder fishing. With OCMD less than 2 hours away, I will be flounder fishing more this summer as my 9 year old son has a bigger personal best flounder than me. It is not the natural order of things. I need to break his best:

28" and over 6lbs

http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB2/files/fonz2_896.jpg

Spot77 02-18-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Nurse (Post 4352)
I love breaking fish in the summer at sunset. I just put my rod down and keep unhooking fish for the wife and kids. All while puffing a Camancho and drinkin a cold brew!

Life can be good
TED

Dude, you know how to live! As I sit here looking outside at the remaining 18 inches of snow, I feel warmer just imagining the scene you described.

Spot77 02-18-2010 09:32 AM

I'm a freshwater/bass guy by nature, but I love the summer Perch fishing out on the Magothy, and any time I can hitch a ride out on the bay I'm happy.

Rivercat09 02-18-2010 12:42 PM

I like what ever is biting at the time. I agree with powerplay in that any time on the water is all good.

In spring, like most, I like trolling for trophy rock. In summer, I like chumming and live lining for rock. I’m liking LTJ more and more the better I get at it; I’ve made a lot of progress, but I have a long way to go.

Fall rockfishing is relatively new to me, and last year just blew me away. I like bottom fishing for whatever is biting, especially croakers. The first mate wants to target flounder more, and after sampling some hours old fillets last year with our first keeper, I can’t argue with that one iota.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Night Nurse about the summer breakers in the evenings, which totally reminds me of my childhood.

We enjoy alternating years between Cape Cod and the Outer Banks. Last summer, we got into some excellent slammer blues out of Hyannis, and we just made our reservations for the OBX and some hopeful encounters with tuna and redfish.

When the bay is all bumped up, and sometimes not, I enjoy freshwater fishing for LM bass, bluegills, and crappie. I like the backwater of the Chesapeake, especially the Magothy. I cut my eye teeth targeting channel cats at Great Falls and later the tidal Potomac for channels and, more recently, trophy blue cats.

Skip 02-18-2010 12:57 PM

My favorite is night fishing for sharks while drifting.
All is quiet and peaceful - then a big reel let's out that ZZZZZ scream that gets the blood going.

Next is liveling Spot for Rockfish. Feeling that Spot go nuts just before it gets gulped is always cool. Watching them under bobbers is fun too.

Trolling for big Rock is exciting - never know when a 50 lber will hit.

Steve F 02-18-2010 01:27 PM

My favorite fishing is LLJ with BKD’s or Manns Hard Nose for stripers. I also like flounder fishing and fishing for Tog in November. I don’t troll or live line I can’t talk Uncle Phill into it yet…..:D

uncle phill 02-18-2010 02:54 PM

Thanks mainly to Steve F, this is how my fishing-year calendar has morphed:

Spring, casting topwaters on the Susky flats, casting and LTJing the Patapsco and select UB spots. (sometimes I'll flyfish for hickories during the week)
Summer, casting topwaters and LTJing rock, especially at the BB.
Fall, casting topwaters and LTJing near the birds.
Winter, casting jigs and rattletraps to rock.

And to think I used to flyfish for trout and smallies, slow roll or burn spinnerbaits and bouce plastic worms for LM...thats all a distant memory now.

However, my absolute favorite is flyfishing the flats for bonefish...come on Sept! Get me to Belize!

reeltor 02-18-2010 04:49 PM

• Rock in the spring trolling or casting wherever the big fish are,
  • Summer I go to local freshwater ponds and Ocean City for my saltwater fix. Haven't done very much Bay fishing over the last few summers, however the live lining is fun when the spot get nervous and you hook up with a rock. Also try to make a few trips with the family chasing blues around.
  • Chasing birds in the fall and early winter casting for rock
  • Casting jigs and those Rattletraps Phil mentioned in the winter. Some big fish are still around.
On the things to do list is catch Red and Black drum, flounder, spanish mackeral and get in on a few tog trips.

crabby and son 02-18-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeltor (Post 4399)
  • Rock in the spring trolling or casting wherever the big fish are,
  • Summer I go to local freshwater ponds and Ocean City for my saltwater fix. Haven't done very much Bay fishing over the last few summers, however the live lining is fun when the spot get nervous and you hook up with a rock. Also try to make a few trips with the family chasing blues around.
  • Chasing birds in the fall and early winter casting for rock
  • Casting jigs and those Rattletraps Phil mentioned in the winter. Some big fish are still around.
On the things to do list is catch Red and Black drum, flounder, spanish mackeral and get in on a few tog trips.

We GOT TO get the black drum with Greg this year Paul. We practiced last year:eek:................Gary

garlien 02-18-2010 08:14 PM

I gotta go with just being out on the water is fine...The fish are a bonus...Good friends and good brew works too...beats workin...

I could catch jellyfish on most days for all I care....

However, I have had some fun catching catfish in the last couple of years...Bottom fishing for Black Sea Bass was easy as heck and a boat load of fun...

Gotta admit tons of perch in the summer on light tackle is great...

As a kid it was always a blast to catch yellow perch pretty much anywhere in the bay and flounder in the southern bay were always tough for me, but lots of fun.....

All in all, being out there, relaxing, friends, beer, sun, not much better than that....

terpheels 02-19-2010 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
charlie...

btmfshr 02-20-2010 02:23 PM

Croaker and perch bottom fishing in the spring and the fall. Get a couple small pieces of <insert bait type here, bloodworm, soft crab, shrimp, squid, cut spot, etc>, bait two hooks, drop the line over on some kind of structure, then start pulling them in two at a time.

My second favorite is pulling in trout from Schoolhouse Pond when no one else is catching anything.

Of course I like any type of fishing where I can enjoy the quiet and just soak up the sun and the fresh air. I could use some of that about now.

PhilK999 02-20-2010 11:45 PM

Like trolling for big rock in the spring, trolling, LTJ and LTT for them the rest of the season, bottom or drift fishing on summer evenings on the bay listening to the O's on the radio, and finally drifting for flounder in the back bays "down the oshun hun"

Baldzilla 02-21-2010 12:17 AM

Offshore, plain and simple...
2nd is flounder, jigging, live bait, any way you have 'em

if we are talking about Stripers, it's LTJ for sure,

but there is always a good feeling of a spot getting nervous and getting devoured by a huge rock (especially when the spot have just barely arrived and the rock are still really big....

doesn't matter what I'm catching, if I'm catching, or where I'm catching...as long as I'm on the water it's great...if my kids are there, it's perfect!!!

Fish Nut 02-21-2010 06:53 AM

I cut my teeth in the 80’s so monster blue fish are what I enjoy the most. Personal best is a 17.00lb blue caught off Annapolis. Plugging or chumming/

In recent years I have messed with off shore just enough to make me appreciate a good trolling spread. I have transferred my enthusiasm to trolling in the bay spring season. Each year I perfect my spread a little and constantly anticipate increasing the hook up ratio. :) I love running the big spread in the spring can't wait:cool:

Once the trolling calms down I enjoy bottom fishing and placing some meat on the hook. Chasing anything that wants a meal. Blue, Rock Flounder, Perch , Spot Spanish Mackerel, Sea bass, Croaker and Trout.

This Year I am going to try dabbling in the dark art of LTJ and more top water casting.

Many on this board tell me once I start LTJ all other forms of fishing move to the backburner. We will see.:D

I caught a few large rock on a smack It last year. It was a phenomenal experience having a fish explode and crush the top water..