CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Winter Fishing Garage Rehab - Lots of Pics (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=2101)

Tawn 01-21-2013 08:27 PM

Winter Fishing Garage Rehab - Lots of Pics

6 Attachment(s)
With fishing season closed, I decided to kill some time this winter by working on and updating the garage.

I thought some of you might enjoy following along.

Background:

It's nothing special, a 26' X 24' attached, side load garage. My wife parks on one side and the other side is a part time rigging station, VFW, American Legion and neighborhood tavern.

A couple of years ago, I had an electrician run eight new outlets, add eight new fluorescent lights and run cable in the garage. I also added a TV, a surround sound system, put up 29 rod holders, added some cabinets and decorations, including antique reels on the ceiling to make it a little more comfortable.

This is what it looked like last week. I will add some "in progress" and after pictures when its all done.

Tawn 01-21-2013 08:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Like most things, this started off innocently enough. My cheap-o Wally World clock died and I decided I wanted to replace it with something a little nicer. Then pandora's box opened when I found this way cool vintage 1969, Budweiser light/clock. The clock has scratches, cracks and dings in it...but hey, I'm a 69 model and Im kind beat up too!

I can't stand exposed wiring so I knew I would have to run an outlet at the clock, that's when I came up with the idea of covering up the drywall work with cork tiles....I HATE drywall work!

Anyway, the pictures give you a pretty good idea of where I am going with this.

Tawn 01-21-2013 08:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I used 1 X 3's painted haze gray to mount the rod holders too - I finally got the spacing balls on perfect.

Much to my wifes displeasure, I ran the rodholders through the dishwasher before putting them back up.

I am also using 1/4 X 2 as "Crown Molding" to cover up the gaps near the ceiling - also painted haze gray.

Spinning further out of control, I bought a 56" Saifish replica to commemorate last years trip to Costa Rica with my 79 year old father.

Tawn 01-21-2013 08:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Remember, this all started with running an outlet for a new clock, then it spread to covering the entire wall to avoid patching the drywall.

The "While I'm at it" syndrome has firmly set in...I have now decided to cover all the walls with cork tiles and to switch out all the mismatched picture frames for nice matching ones.

I know I have posted a pic of it before, but no garage is complete without The Worlds Most Interesting Man and an autographed Ron Jeremy picture.

BTW, All the plastic tubs and baskets sitting on top of the cabinets are fishing and/or boat gear that will go back on the boat when I put it back in the slip in April.

5th Tuition 01-21-2013 10:25 PM

Whew; I'm glad the Ron Jeremy photo is him with clothes on:eek:. I'd be more interested in some photo's of his female co-stars:) I guess there's a story behind (opps no pun intended) how you got the photo?

Maybe the next CBAngler get together needs to be in your garage:D It looks like I could spend some time there checking out all the fishing equipment and the bike. Is that a Dyna Wide Glide?
Cold beer, fishing equipment, TV with surround sound, and motorcycle; I would pi$$ the wife off just to be sent to my mancave:rolleyes:
Looks like you did a great job. Thanks for posting.
5th (Marty)

Tawn 01-22-2013 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 14860)
Maybe the next CBAngler get together needs to be in your garage 5th (Marty)

I have already thought of that. I'm putting in about 3-5 hours a day on it, so hopefully, it will be near finished (it will never be completely done) soon.

Once it is, I was gonna throw the invitation out there. :)

The bike is a 1980 Super Glide, an old Shovelhead, I went completely through it about 15 years ago and then quit riding in favor of fishing.

Blakesdad 01-22-2013 04:34 AM

I love **** like this.. Good for you.. The cork tiles finish it off very nicely. Crown moulding hides a multitude of sins. I have several runs of speaker cables behind mine.

Alas a "garage" is built for a car.... And I don't see one :eek:

Spot77 01-22-2013 08:46 AM

Screw the car....my detached garage is a clusterf_ _ _ of assorted fishing gear bags, 15 or so rod/reel combos, assorted boxes full of those magic lures that I just HAD to have, yet have never used, various target stands, ammo boxes, camping stuff, and furniture waiting to be refinished.

The only creature comforts come from a single 15A line buried underground that powers one light, a radio and the fridge converted to a homemade kegerator.

Don't need much else. :D

5th Tuition 01-22-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawn (Post 14861)
The bike is a 1980 Super Glide, an old Shovelhead, I went completely through it about 15 years ago and then quit riding in favor of fishing.

I know what you mean about the bike. When I retired, the wife was going to buy me another bike (I sold mine when the kids were younger):D. I told her not to; when the weather was nice, either the bike or the boat would sit. I couldn't do both:eek:.

My son and I still rent harleys. Usually for a week at a time. We have been to Colorado and California, and the wife and I spent a week in the Keys on a bike. My son and I usually get two different style bikes so we can switch off during the week. My favorite is the Dyna Wide Glide; those small ape hangers fit me perfectly:)
5th (Marty)

Skip 01-22-2013 01:34 PM

Damn , that is one nice set up.

Tawn 01-22-2013 03:33 PM

It just got further out of control.

I just ordered a 48" full Rockfish mount from King Sailfish Mounts. My Dad who was 77 at the time, caught a 48" off Cove point on my old boat but we turned her loose, so the mount is actually of his fish.

I also ordered a 38" Blackfin Tuna half mount...My wife is gonna be SO impressed...:rolleyes:

Tawn 01-25-2013 04:28 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Working on another wall. Got one of two windows trimmed out, spinning rod holders up and the speaker wires ran through the walls. Ran out of cork, going to be cleaning and picking up until the UPS man comes with the next few boxes.

Still waiting on two more taxidermy fish, actually 'glass replicas based on pictures I provided to come in. One Rockfish and the other is a Blackfin Tuna.

5th Tuition 01-25-2013 09:24 AM

What happened Tawn; Did the wife "cut you off":D You are spending way too much time in the garage:eek:

You have been spending your time in the garage wisely. Looks great:)

5th (Marty)

Tawn 01-27-2013 08:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
UPS man came with what hopefully is the last box of tiles I will need. Finished the street side wall. I want to put up old ship lights (see pic) on the exterior, but I dont know what sort of wiring I may need to do inside the wall, so Im gonna wait till it warms up when I put the lights up before I cork over the two corners.

My sister and I are big AC/DC fans, I hung the poster so that I can surround it by 8X10 framed pictures from the 30+ concerts we have been to...the only non-fishing/boating pictures that will be in the garage...lol.

5th Tuition 01-27-2013 12:55 PM

Ok; all your photo's have convinced me to do the same with my garage. Now where do I put all the shovels, rakes, picks, lawnmowers, snowblower, and generators:D

I don't have any cork tiles, but I have a big bucket of wine corks we can use:eek:

But honestly, you can tell you serve on a sub, it looks like you are using your space to the best advantage. Keep us updated on your progress.

I spoke to a couple other CBAnglers at the MSSA Kent Island show this weekend and they say they would like to hold a meeting at your garage as well. Is it too late to add a stripper pole:eek::eek:.

If you want; you can leave us a key to the garage and your credit card during your next deployment, and we will finish the garage for you:rolleyes:
5th (Marty)

Tawn 01-31-2013 04:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My Rockfish mount came in.

30 April 2009, My father & childhood best friend came in to fish for a week. These guys are soley bass, bluegill, crappie fisherman and had never fished the bay before, let alone with boards, downriggers and all the junk we use out there...hell, our parachutes are bigger than most of the fish they are used to catching.

I had my old boat then and we trailered to Solomons and fished around Cove Point. Not long after setting lines, one of the downrigger poles went down hard. Got it out and handed it to Dad, who was 76 at the time. After some drama, we got her in the net. A real quick conversation revealed no one wanted anymore fish and no one wanted to clean it (including me) so we got a couple of quick pictures, measurements and let her go. About 48" & 44 lbs.

Fast forward 4 years. Finally got off my butt and sent the pictures, measurements and weight to King Sailfish Mounts and got a replica.

Couldn't be happier with the way it turned out!

Here it is on the garage wall, with a picture of Dad reeling it in and another of him and my best friend holding it hung beneath the mount.

Dad is now 80 and in great heath, Im trying to get him to come this spring and put a 50' on my new boat.

5th Tuition 01-31-2013 08:25 AM

That's a great story. Nice looking mount. Glad your dad is in good health and I too hope he puts a 50" fish in your boat:)
5th (Marty)