CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Quest for CBAnglers (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=2108)

5th Tuition 01-27-2013 02:30 PM

Quest for CBAnglers

While I was at the MSSA Kent Island flea market I picked up a copy of "The Coastal Fisherman" winter edition. There are three photo's (in the first 16 pages) of stripers being caught at "The Sliver" in Ocean City.

I did a google search looking for a chart showing it's location, but I was unsuccessful.

So; how about helping me out. Is it an inshore location out of OC inlet? Is it a location "behind" OC or Assateague?

How about a map or coordinates?
5th (Marty)

Spot77 01-27-2013 02:44 PM

This looks to be a good source for some locations, but unfortunately no mention of the one you're looking for.

This has the gps coordinates.

http://www.akemarine.com/ocean-city-md-hot_spots.php

reds 01-27-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 14929)
While I was at the MSSA Kent Island flea market I picked up a copy of "The Coastal Fisherman" winter edition. There are three photo's (in the first 16 pages) of stripers being caught at "The Sliver" in Ocean City.

I did a google search looking for a chart showing it's location, but I was unsuccessful.

So; how about helping me out. Is it an inshore location out of OC inlet? Is it a location "behind" OC or Assateague?

How about a map or coordinates?
5th (Marty)

It's out from Fenwick Island. IIRC most of the Sliver is over the line in the EEZ.

5th Tuition 01-27-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reds (Post 14931)
It's out from Fenwick Island. IIRC most of the Sliver is over the line in the EEZ.

Thanks Reds; maybe that's why I didn't see it. I was looking at charts "inside" the 3 mile line:D. There must be 10 references to "the sliver" in the winter edition. I assumed it was closer to shore:eek:.

I'll go back and look out from Fenwick Island on the map and see if I can find it. It must be a good spot, lots of rock caught near it.

This past Jan. was the first time I have ever fished "offshore" OC for rock. We were really fishing blind because we didn't know the area very well. We ran from the Delaware line to the Virginia line just looking for birds and bait. We didn't catch and rock, but the show the whales put on were worth the price of admission:).

Maybe we can try in the spring as the stripers leave the bay and head north.

5th (Marty)

5th Tuition 01-27-2013 06:40 PM

Damn, I just went back and looked at the maps. I can find Fenwick Island, Fenwick schoals, but no "sliver". I still need more info, this has me pissed, how can so many reports reference a place "I" can't find. This shouldn't be that hard.

I'm about ready to send an email off to the Coastal Fisherman:D.
5th (Marty)

Skip 01-27-2013 07:10 PM

Marty - Don't sweat not being able to find the " Sliver ". Often spots are known by nicknames. Study the chart and look for humps / bumps / troughs , etc. that could hold bait or fish. Ocean Rockfish move fast - unless report is a few hours - likely no good.

Think about some one new to the bay trying to find the " Silver Ball " just south of Breezy Point. Years ago - the water tower was silver and when in about 35 feet , it looked like a silver ball sitting on tree tops. That is how it got nick name.

Now it is light blue - yet locals still call it " Silver Ball ". Newcomer would have no idea what / where to look. Guess calling it blue ball might not go over so well :D

Same thing up near # 86 is Gum Thickets. Years ago - there was a gum tree patch ( thicket) but they are long gone - yet name stays.

I still catch Rock in spring at the " mile markers " - near Mattapeake , even though the markers are long gone , my friends know exactly where I'm talking about.

Then you have a name given to a large area - ie: Radar towers. The real spot is close in and a kiss north where deep water comes in tight to shore. How ever - if guys can see the radar screens , they'll tell you the fish were caught at radar towers.

I have it even worse - some older guys ( 70-80 yrs ) will describe places to me. I'll get - it's due south of the old Johnson barn. OK - I find out the barn burned down in 1975 and never was rebuilt - bear in mind I was born 1963.

5th Tuition 01-27-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 14934)
Marty - Don't sweat not being able to find the " Sliver ". Often spots are known by nicknames. Study the chart and look for humps / bumps / troughs , etc. that could hold bait or fish..

Skip, that's just why I wanted to look at the chart. Obviously there is something holding the fish in that area. From all the other reports, I can eliminate areas where the Sliver in not!! It's not by the jetty, it's not out from the Pyrimid Condo, it's not near Little Gull; but where is it? It is known locally because it is referenced so often in the reports.

I think I'll call Sue Foster down the ocean and try to get the coodinates. I'm very interested to see what the humps, lumps, and sloughs look like in that area:D

I may not ever fish the OC coast again but the information may prove of value:eek:

5th(Marty)

Watching "wicked tuna" now. It's a new season!

Blakesdad 01-28-2013 03:37 AM

Let me make a phone call, one of my clients fishes fenwick year round.. He'll know

5th Tuition 01-28-2013 09:26 AM

Good Lord Brian; what are you doing up at 4:37am? I guess that's really 3:37am. I hope you just finished acting like your electrical outlets:D

Thanks Brian, make the call; I'll be interested to see what a local has to say.

5th (Marty)

5th Tuition 01-28-2013 08:13 PM

Quick update; I went past ALLTACKLE today and checked out some of the maps and fishing charts they sell. It's not on any of their maps/charts either.

I can't believe the Coastal Fisherman would reference "the sliver" so often in their publication; yet anyone outside of the OC area would have no idea where the spot is found.

Still Looking:D.

5th (Marty)

shoreboy6 01-29-2013 09:30 AM

Marty, that location was referenced in the most recent episode of Hooked on OC by a local Charter captain as well ( www.moorebillscharters.com )

Mikie 01-29-2013 10:23 AM

It appears to be South of the OC Inlet off of the Assateague Island Bridge about 2 miles out. There is a long, thin shoal there on the Chart, Southwest of Great Gull Bank.
"Bites started just south of the Sliver (Assateague Bridge) and slowly moved north up past the Indian River Inlet."

5th Tuition 01-29-2013 03:10 PM

Thanks guys; I sent an email off to Sue Foster (Oyster Cove Tackle in OC). Their store is closed for Jan. and Feb.; but she might still be reading her email:D

We are certainly getting closer to getting the coordinates for "the Sliver".

Next time I'm in OC and around the docks, I'm going to drop the name "the sliver" so I sound like a local.

5th (Marty)

bhl 01-29-2013 03:46 PM

Marty,
Check chart # 12211 at this site

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineVie...werTable.shtml

Chessie27 01-29-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 14954)
Next time I'm in OC and around the docks, I'm going to drop the name "the sliver" so I sound like a local.

Please be careful Marty, it might be an urban legend but I have heard whispers of a NASTY old sea hag seen hanging around in various bilges at the docks in OC for years. I believe she NOW goes by "the Silver" too! :p

Just lookin' out for you buddy,
Jeff

5th Tuition 01-29-2013 07:47 PM

Bruce; looking at the chart you suggested, I can see two places that look real interesting.

Working my way south from the top of the chart, just west of Fenwick Shoal (and inside the 3 mile line) is a posibility for "the Sliver".

Down south, there is another posibility, just southeast of Great Gull Bank (and inside the 3 mile line) is another posibility.

Because Reds referenced off Fenwick Island; I guess the place up north has the best possibility.

Thanks for the charts. That's a great websight:D
5th (Marty)

Jeff (chessie27) :eek::eek::eek:I thought all women on the Eastern Shore were suposed to be Hot:rolleyes:
5th (Marty)

bhl 01-30-2013 08:36 AM

check out December 24th report and a few days earlier refering to the Sliver

http://coastal-fisherman.com/charter-boats.cfm

Mikie 01-30-2013 10:26 AM

Yes, this report from Dec 24th:
"Today, reports were slim. Some looked up off 28th Street with no luck. Others were down at Little Gull and further south at the Sliver with no luck. Should get updated reports tonight."

and the report I posted above:
"Bites started just south of the Sliver (Assateague Bridge) and slowly moved north up past the Indian River Inlet."

Pretty much narrows it down for me.

5th Tuition 01-30-2013 01:53 PM

I got an email back from Sue Foster (Oyster Bay Bait and Tackle in OC).

She wasn't sure where it was either, but suspected it was south of the inlet off Assateaque.

She passed my email along to the editor of Coastal Fisherman for the exact spot.

Looks like Reds thoughts about up near Fenwick Island might be incorrect. Hard to say just yet.

5th (Marty)

Skip 01-30-2013 03:51 PM

If it is south of inlet - might be an area called " McCabes ". This goes back to mid 80's but used to fish an area about 6 miles south for Sea Trout in fall.

It was a long narrow hump in about 45 feet. Wonder if same spot - just new name ?

5th Tuition 01-30-2013 05:25 PM

I think that when we start catching fish this spring, I'm going to report that they were caught just south of "Marty's Lump". Nobody will know where that is, and there will be no way to find out (not on any maps/charts).

Who am I kidding, I'm a "spot burner":eek:

5th (Marty)

Skip 01-30-2013 05:40 PM

Not sure if still on charts but " Mary's Hole " was a good spot.

reds 01-30-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 14967)
I got an email back from Sue Foster (Oyster Bay Bait and Tackle in OC).

She wasn't sure where it was either, but suspected it was south of the inlet off Assateaque.

She passed my email along to the editor of Coastal Fisherman for the exact spot.

Looks like Reds thoughts about up near Fenwick Island might be incorrect. Hard to say just yet.

5th (Marty)

I fished the area off Fenwick Island, hard 15 years ago. That bar just inshore from the EEZ line had a couple different names. I thought one of them was the Sliver, but guess I'm wrong.

The big problem with all that area is it's to close to the EEZ. Catch and keep a Striper, motor or drift past the 3 mile line and you broke the law. Not worth the headaches.

5th Tuition 01-30-2013 06:13 PM

Mike; you still might be correct. I'm waiting for a reply from the editor of Coastal Fisherman. If you look at the coastal map that Bruce (bhl) referenced, you will see a nice area INSIDE the 3 mile line, but west of Fenwick Shoals, that looks quite promising.

I am just surprised that an area so well referenced in the winter edition of CF is so hard to pinpoint:rolleyes:.

I may never fish the area, but now curiosity has the best of me:D

5th (Marty)

5th Tuition 01-30-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 14971)
Not sure if still on charts but " Mary's Hole " was a good spot.

Now that might be a spot worthwhile keeping secret:D
5th

bhl 01-30-2013 08:33 PM

I think that if there is no official name on the charts for this piece of structure that Marty is looking for, we need to pursue naming it. Maybe something starting with Marty. Any ideas:D

5th Tuition 01-31-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhl (Post 14975)
I think that if there is no official name on the charts for this piece of structure that Marty is looking for, we need to pursue naming it. Maybe something starting with Marty. Any ideas:D

Gee; Thanks Bruce. I can see the suggestions now. I might as well beat you guys to the punch:eek:.

If it's now known as "the sliver"; how about "Marty's Pecker":eek:.

Looks like a couple good humps, so how about "Marty's A$$":eek:.

Let's just keep it as "The Sliver":D

5th (Marty)

5th Tuition 01-31-2013 07:43 PM

Well now we know:D I got this response from Coastal Fisherman.

Hi Martin;
Sue Foster asked me to get back to you regarding the location of the Sliver.

The Sliver is a shoal in the ocean located south of the O.C. Inlet, down by the Assateague Bridge. It is off the beach only a mile or so.

Larry Jock
Editor & Publisher
Coastal Fisherman
12748 Sunset Ave.
Ocean City, Md. 21842
410-213-2200

Thanks guys for being part of "The Quest". It was just a matter of time before we figured it out.
5th (Marty)

5th Tuition 01-31-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikie (Post 14966)
Yes, this report from Dec 24th:
"Today, reports were slim. Some looked up off 28th Street with no luck. Others were down at Little Gull and further south at the Sliver with no luck. Should get updated reports tonight."

and the report I posted above:

Pretty much narrows it down for me.

Mikie was right. Thanks guys
5th