CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Thanks Mark (Baldzilla) (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=348)

5th Tuition 01-05-2010 03:13 PM

Thanks Mark (Baldzilla)

With all the "Global Warming" going on the past decade, I was looking forward to some nice fishing this winter. The rockfish used to winter over in North Carolina, then many of them started to winter over in Virginia Beach; I was looking forward to the year they started to winter in the Chesapeake. Then Mark goes and buys some "Artic Armor" for this winter. We haven't had as cold a start to winter in a long time. Add in the wind, and it's downright uncomfortable out there. If I can catch a nice sunny day with little wind, I usually hit some ponds on the eastern shore for bass, crappie, and pickeral. This usually keeps me sane until the fishing and boat shows start. But; all I've been doing is bringing in more and more firewood to the house.

What has everyone else been doing? Anyone getting a line wet? I see Tyler's is having a sale soon, and the Timonium show is close, so I only need a few more days until mid month to get through. Stay warm!!! 5th (Marty)

Slayer 01-05-2010 03:48 PM

I know it's a bit of a hike for all you fancy pants bay bridge guys but the Richmond fishing expo is going on 15-17 Jan (in Richmond to boot..go figger :confused: ). It's huge!

mlag 01-05-2010 04:22 PM

I went to see Jim at Marty's today and picked up a few "goodies" for the upcoming season:)............................"the other Mark"

Ralph 01-05-2010 04:35 PM

I'm with ya, Marty. I don't mind normal cold weather, but all this wind just makes me want to stay inside. (I don't have as much extra natural protection from the wind a mlag does :D). It does warm me up cutting wood for the fireplace though! Other than that, it's a good time to catch up on the to-do list of home repairs and upgrades that I never get to in the summer.

drichitt 01-05-2010 05:18 PM

Packing right now for 2 weeks in Cancun:D. Florida isn't even warm enough right now. Sorry Marty, couldn't resist...Don

goinsfishin 01-05-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlag (Post 3344)
I went to see Jim at Marty's today and picked up a few "goodies" for the upcoming season:)............................"the other Mark"

I just missed ya on my stop at Jim's for some spring goodies.......gotta do something.....even the dog doesn't want to go out in this cold.

Spot77 01-05-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 3338)
If I can catch a nice sunny day with little wind, I usually hit some ponds on the eastern shore for bass, crappie, and pickeral. This usually keeps me sane until the fishing and boat shows start. But; all I've been doing is bringing in more and more firewood to the house.

What has everyone else been doing? Anyone getting a line wet? I see Tyler's is having a sale soon, and the Timonium show is close, so I only need a few more days until mid month to get through. Stay warm!!! 5th (Marty)

We tried some shore ponds last week and most were frozen over pretty good then. I imagine they're even worse by now. Wye Mills, Unicorn, Tuckahoe and one other semi-secret :rolleyes: spot were no good.

The spillways at Tuckohoe and Unicorn were ok though and I did get a few tiny nibbles at Tuckahoe.

I think I'll stick to the Wii fishing game for a few weeks.

5th Tuition 01-05-2010 07:59 PM

The spillways at Tuckohoe and Unicorn were ok though and I did get a few tiny nibbles at Tuckahoe.

Spot77; Have you checked out the lake on Noble road off of 404? I'm having a senior moment and can't think of it's name. The spillway usually holds some fish. 5th

Smithville Lake!!!!!!!

Spot77 01-05-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 3356)

Spot77; Have you checked out the lake on Noble road off of 404? I'm having a senior moment and can't think of it's name. The spillway usually holds some fish. 5th

Smithville Lake!!!!!!!

Yup, that's Smithville. I went there a few months ago and found there to be a massive fishkill in the lake. Hundreds and hundreds of fish floating on top, and stinking like hell. Shad, catfish, Pickerel, Bluegill and Bass.

And the SAV was so thick I couldn't move with my trolling motor. My gas motor barely got me through it. :rolleyes:

BUT, I've never fished the spillway below the lake! I'll give it a shot soon as it warms up a bit.

The other spillway that ROCKS is right below Johnson's Pond in Salisbury. Last year on NYE some friends and I caught Crappie, Pickerel, Bass, Catfish and Stripers right there....all nice size too. The Striper was a nice surprise and at almost 24 inches it was tough to let him go. He must've been lost all the way up there!

justchillin 01-05-2010 09:22 PM

Well in between snow storms I have managed to pour and paint my new spring spread and I finally got the boat down to Jaws for its service. I even made an extra 8 that I can grind off the barbs if necessary for c/r. Guess I'd better start some of the hunny do's soon.

garlien 01-05-2010 09:50 PM

I cant take it either....Maybe I need to move to Florida !

Course it is cold there now too....

I was with Spot when he went last week...Some nice ponds to fish in but the bite was just not there at all....

I went out to a private spot on the Bodkin as well and fished from shore...Nothing there either...Just seems to cold for the fish...Although we all know they are there...

Marty to you actually get something to pull in ? Maybe if we get a warm day or two Spot and I can grab you and hit some of the ponds before the bay opens back up....

5th Tuition 01-06-2010 12:51 AM

Mike; I've got some other private ponds we can hit as well. Get in touch when the weather warms. 5th

garlien 01-06-2010 10:26 PM

sounds like a plan !

Stinkbait 01-06-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 3338)
Then Mark goes and buys some "Artic Armor" for this winter. We haven't had as cold a start to winter in a long time. Add in the wind, and it's downright uncomfortable out there.

Marty,
I agree, it is Mark's fault. (The other Mark). I think he moderated the weather.

I saw a few of you "TF'er's" the other day. I appreciate all of y'all.

Mlag had to add to his arsennal of live living goodies. I wanna try his new toys. His better half and family hooked him up with some contributions. (Mrs. Mlag is a great lady).

Goins.....Capt. Steve stopped by. Mrs. Capt. Steve is doing better...nice lady too. He did have is other better half, the famous....maybe notorious "Joe da Dog". No matter what Cap'n says...he's a softy....I spotted a large box of milkbones on the floor of his vehicle......we know that "Joe Goins" runs the house.

Saw..Fishin' fool II (Wild Bill) and Hook'nUp's Dad (Jim).

I am in Raleigh, NC through the weekend. We are closed Sun. and Mon. until March.

Everyone, Call me if you are in the area. I might have to have a few beers with you.

Happy New Year All!

Jim

Steve F 01-07-2010 12:16 PM

Hey Marty, I was just told about this board and boy what a difference from the other board. Phill and I got out last week and did really well with fish up to 28” but boy we had a heck of a time getting the boat on the water (low water). The way it looks we won’t be fishing this weekend with the wind blowing like they are calling for. Give me a call one day if you get a chance.