CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   CBangler needs your help (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=812)

5th Tuition 05-21-2010 08:36 AM

CBangler needs your help

What has happened to the board. No posts, no fishing reports, no activity. I know we are all skeptical about posting acurate fishing reports for fear that they will be used against us at some point; but come on:eek:. How about just a bit of information. Even a post such as this:

Went out yesterday, fished the upper bay, did some chumming and chunking, picked up a couple nice fish 25-27 inches. Even got one nice hardhead (19 in) for my efforts.

A report like this at least shares some information:D.
Come on guys, we don't want this site to turn into a dead zone (like portions of the bay). We had this site started to compete with that "other" site. Let's not lose participation.

5th (Marty)

Steve F 05-21-2010 09:19 AM

Marty,
I hope to have a report tomorrow and Sunday and I hope it's a good one....:D

reeltor 05-21-2010 09:38 AM

Trailering to CB this afternoon scouting for drum and some LTJ action. Will post results tonight.

crabby and son 05-21-2010 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeltor (Post 7098)
Trailering to CB this afternoon scouting for drum and some LTJ action. Will post results tonight.

Paul, Let me know what's up with the drum and I'll pick up lunch............I mean bait!! Let's get one this year....................Gary

B-Faithful 05-21-2010 10:11 AM

I need your help.. I need time to get out and fish. My next trip is with Luke Scott! (who is hitting .500 with 5 HRs over his last 10 games ) :)

Fish Nut 05-21-2010 10:12 AM

Fishing reports what are they? !!!!!:D

The wife made me take a walk with her last night. We walked to the community pier. I watched some kids catch a few perch and 3 tiny spot roughly 4- 5”.
:)

crabby and son 05-21-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Nut (Post 7101)

The wife made me take a walk with her last night. We walked to the community pier. I watched some kids catch a few perch and 3 tiny spot roughly 4- 5”.

That's a report. The spot bell has been rung!........Gary

Skip 05-21-2010 10:40 AM

I'll still post when I go.

5th Tuition 05-21-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Rob; did you say spot:D. Get those kids to start saving them. I'll be down on your pier tonight:eek:.
5th (Marty)

mlag 05-21-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Spot you say! Spot?...Where are the spot?!

Night Nurse 05-21-2010 06:39 PM

SPOT???? What peir????

TED

PS I am drooling

5th Tuition 05-21-2010 07:15 PM

Now if we can keep the pharmasudical companies from dumping HgH (human growth hormone) into the bay, maybe we can catch 4-5 inch spot this year:D.
5th (Marty)

Fish Nut 05-21-2010 07:49 PM

yes i had a hard time believing also. This was in stony creek. In shallow water 3' -4' around a grass bed. The kids were using worms they dug up in the yard. Honestly they were catching more perch than spot.

Last year I caught a few early when perch fishing around stony creek bridge

I also heard that a few spot were caught in Solomon’s a week or so ago.

garlien 05-21-2010 08:44 PM

No spot but close to 20 perch....not a bad day...think the temps are bringing them out now....All in Bodkin Creek....

FYI - Not sure about you guys but the water clarity has been very, very good for about a week....at least where I have been.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 7105)
Rob; did you say spot:D. Get those kids to start saving them. I'll be down on your pier tonight:eek:.
5th (Marty)

Slayer 05-21-2010 08:51 PM

Hey Marty,

I had heard a couple Spot were being caught as well. I went out of Solomon's on Thursday afternoon to scout for them in the river and then hit a few other places. I tried bloods in about 6 different areas at the mouth that have produced well for me in years past. The depth ranges I tried were from 4-25 ft. I couldn't get even one to hit. Ok, new plan. Go cast and jig the bay. Easier said than done. Places I knew that normally would hold fish were bare. A buddy of mine told me of a few other places and the cupboard was empty there, too. Fished from 3 til about 8 pm last night and just couldn't get anything going. I didn't even mark any bait or fish until I got to one place but even then I couldn't buy a bite.

So I went home, rounded up a bunch of kittens and drowned them in the fish box.

Not a fun day. That's why I didn't post a report.

Keith

5th Tuition 05-21-2010 10:13 PM

Keith; you bought a bunch of Rob's mylar chutes; maybe he can sell you some 4-5 inch spot:D.

Give the kittens to Capt. Steve; he doesn't have any ducklings yet:eek:.

5th (Marty)

mark1234 05-22-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Nut (Post 7109)
yes i had a hard time believing also. This was in stony creek. In shallow water 3' -4' around a grass bed.

I'm also on Stony Creek, and I've seen the spot! Actually last year they were in there early as well. I just need to build a pen and start paying the kids to add to it.:D

crabby and son 05-22-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlag (Post 7106)

Man I knew that was coming............ but when is the windlass coming :D...........Gary

Spot77 05-24-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlag (Post 7106)

Here I am!

I've been busier than a condom store on prom night....not much time to fish lately and it's KILLING ME.

uncljohn 05-24-2010 03:42 PM

I hate to say it, but this is just "Junior TF" with less riff raff and even fewer reports. Its all the same people who post the same things on TF. At least the BS Board had a run for a while on TF. This site doesn't allow non-fishing chit-chat. Brian got told "This is a fishing website and it is meant for fishing blah blah blah"

Unless this was some ploy to get us away from Brandon and TF....I mean, I read where you say "we had this site started to compete with the other site" but who was asking for a new website? I didn't ask for competition. I probably asked for Brandon to unlock the HCT, but that's the only issue I got w/ TF.

When I first got on here, I was suprised. SteveF, Skip, b-faithful, crabby, 5th Tuition....all the usual suspects from TF....

Reverb 05-24-2010 04:41 PM

Uncle John, ya hit the nail on the head....

It will probably fall on deaf ears, but thats there problem, not ours.

Like to meet you one day.. You and I could get along well....

5th Tuition 05-24-2010 05:51 PM

I was hoping that this website would allow us to post and show pic's without people critisizing the poster about "keeping big fish", "holding it wrong", "having boats that look like porkupines", and such. On TF, if you were a frequent poster, you even took flack for being a "chest thumper".

I know reports are down on both boards for several reasons. I had hoped this board would have turned into a more "fishing friendly" site simply because it had less participants.

I have nothing to do with the site, however, for a while, it appeared to be getting stagnant and I thought we might pick it up a bit to keep it going.

Thanks to those who have posted lately, I hope to get out soon myself.
5th (Marty)

Night Nurse 05-24-2010 06:06 PM

Little report. Sat on the Pier on Romancoke (kent Island) drowning blood worms and soakin cut LY with my daughter for 4.5 hrs. Only got a minnow to bit a hook that was MUCH bigger then him self to show for it. NRP came buy and checked everyone. No body else caught, but I will try again later this week

TED

5th Tuition 05-24-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Nurse (Post 7165)
Little report. Sat on the Pier on Romancoke (kent Island) drowning blood worms and soakin cut LY with my daughter for 4.5 hrs. Only got a minnow to bit a hook that was MUCH bigger then him self to show for it. NRP came buy and checked everyone. No body else caught, but I will try again later this week

TED

Ted; did NRP want to see a NOAA card?
5th (Marty)

Bend-Lure 05-25-2010 02:18 PM

I just posted a report for you on the offshore board.

Blakesdad 05-25-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bend-Lure (Post 7188)
I just posted a report for you on the offshore board.

I didn;t know this place HAD an off shore board..

Oh Goody.. let me go take a look see..;)

Bend-Lure 05-25-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blakesdad (Post 7189)
I didn;t know this place HAD an off shore board..

Oh Goody.. let me go take a look see..;)

Maybe I am the only one who treats the Coastal Angling board as the offshore board. It doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic.

BILL H 05-26-2010 08:35 AM

Not so surprising....

....that it's the "usual suspects".

There is a subset of anglers who utilize the internet boards to gather/share information. They keep on the lookout for new sources. This source is in competition with the older, established source.

If you look at what happened on the Hull Truth, you can see that the same thing took place. There was a lot of complaining about the board when it was sold to Internet Brands, but when Wiley started Reel Boating once his non-competition agreement ran out, RB has not gained much traction.

Unfortunately, I don't see this board or RB offering much "value added" content, so I don't even check in on either that much. The established board, in spite of perceptions of shortcomings (most of which I don't share) offers more content.

I am not in sales, but I see market saturation in a market with limited customers, and unless a new source can offer better content or really differentiate itself in some other way, it is just not going to prosper.

JigStix 05-26-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncljohn (Post 7155)
I hate to say it, but this is just "Junior TF" with less riff raff and even fewer reports.

Unless this was some ploy to get us away from Brandon and TF....I mean, I read where you say "we had this site started to compete with the other site" but who was asking for a new website?

On the money. But for some that wanted to get away from TF, they continue to post the same thing on this board, and then go repost it on TF. Not getting the attention they want on this board, go where they are more "well known" and get get their slurp fix. Not all, just some.

uncljohn 05-26-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverb (Post 7161)
Uncle John, ya hit the nail on the head....

It will probably fall on deaf ears, but thats there problem, not ours.

Like to meet you one day.. You and I could get along well....

Well maybe, I like to stir the pot a lot. I've been told I "don't play well with others". But I'm nicer in person.:D I'm generally sober when online and "not sober" when fishing :rolleyes:

If you come to an SRRKC meeting we can probably polish off a few Natty Bohs together and commisserate about TF and the demise of THCT (page 38 is my favorite).

B-Faithful 05-26-2010 12:08 PM

Personally, I like the smallness of the board for reports and think it will probably remain this way. I only post reports here because of them less likely to be used as a tool by regulators for managment purposes, (when they should be using science instead). TF is monitored regularly by DNR and some of the posts there were cited as sources for information in regulatory changes. The only report I have done recently on TF was my Luke Scott trip as I won the trip through the site and thought it was worthy of sharing the report there. Without TF, I wouldnt have won the trip. Dont get me wrong, I enjoy TF a lot but prefer the smallness of this board for reports and networking with some other fishermen about actual trips. Sometimes smaller is better for certain things..