CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   How to kill a rock (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1048)

5th Tuition 09-30-2010 07:10 PM

How to kill a rock

It' raining so here's something to ponder.

In anticipation of the return to great fall rockfishing, I have a question.
Often, when I get back to the pier from fishing and open the cooler, there are one or two rock still alive in the box.
Is there a humane way to kill them before I filet them? I was wondering if you could cut down behind the head and sever a spinal cord?
The other option would be to "whack em" with a club, but my neighbors might call "PETA" on me.
How do you accomplish "the act"?
5th (Marty)

p.s.
I realize I could just drag them behind the boat for a few more minutes, as this will surely kill them all dead (there's that dog with a bone thing again):D.

drichitt 09-30-2010 07:50 PM

Marty - My wife spent an exhaustive amount of time on this subject when we were spending time in the Keys fishing. Someone told her that squirting vodka in the mouth of a fish would kill them instantly, so off we went to the local liquor store to buy some inexpensive Russian bonka:rolleyes:. This quick fish cocktail worked great, but they quickly sobered up and started flopping again. She then spoke with all kinds of animal rights people and came to the conclusion that a swift whack in their head was the most humane way. I now have one of those billy clubs on the boat and just before a fish goes in the cooler it gets a hard, swift whack just above the eyes. She is happier now...and this is important as you married guys will attest to. Another great benefit to killing them before they get in the cooler is that my cooler doesn't get all messed up:D; they just lay there nice and quiet like...Don

Mikie 09-30-2010 07:52 PM

Man, if it really bothers you that much - DON'T CATCH THEM to begin with. Otherwise, do what the guy above said - whack 'em with a club.

5th Tuition 09-30-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikie (Post 8482)
Man, if it really bothers you that much - DON'T CATCH THEM to begin with. Otherwise, do what the guy above said - whack 'em with a club.

If I don't get out on the boat for a few days, my sensitive side comes out:D.
5th (Marty)

JigStix 09-30-2010 08:19 PM

Icepick, right through the top of their noggins.
Same as crabs.

Skip 09-30-2010 08:30 PM

I use a small aluminum bat. One good whack and they are stunned / dead.
The thunk / ping sound is cool.

I then put them in the cooler and put ice over them. Each fish gets layered in ice.

I use to put them in alive and put ice on them. Often - they would flop around and end up on top of the ice - not buried under it.

Other way - just use stinger hooks - it kills them everytime :rolleyes::D

5th Tuition 09-30-2010 09:06 PM

I knew if I kept my "mannow crusher" from the 70's it would come back in fashion again:D.
5th (Marty)

garlien 09-30-2010 09:35 PM

Marty,

Not that I keep anything I catch....But why not just take a sharp knife and cut straight through the gill plates ? They should bleed out and die pretty much instantly...

Mike

crabby and son 09-30-2010 10:34 PM

Marty, Where did you leave your MAN CARD?.Do you need a hug:rolleyes:............Gary

5th Tuition 09-30-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabby and son (Post 8492)
Marty, Where did you leave your MAN CARD?.Do you need a hug:rolleyes:............Gary

I'm trying to have multible personalities. I'm an ******* on TF and I'm trying to be more "likeable" on CBA:D.
5th (Marty)

5th Tuition 09-30-2010 10:45 PM

Ooops, it's late and I actually spelled a$$h@le in the previous post. Interesting that it took care of that automaticly.
5th (Marty)

Spot77 10-01-2010 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garlien (Post 8490)
Marty,

Not that I keep anything I catch....But why not just take a sharp knife and cut straight through the gill plates ? They should bleed out and die pretty much instantly...

Mike

I don't think anybody wants a cooler full of blood.

Well, except for that weird chick we worked with at Sears for a short time....:rolleyes:

crabby and son 10-01-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 8493)
I'm trying to have multible personalities. I'm an ******* on TF and I'm trying to be more "likeable" on CBA:D.
5th (Marty)

I think you are OK on both boards:p.Now just bite the rock fish as hard as you can in the head....it WILL kill him......Gary

uncljohn 10-01-2010 09:29 AM

I find a well-placed gaff will take care of a live rockfish. :D Also a good way to hold onto a cow nose ray.

5th Tuition 10-01-2010 12:28 PM

It's a good thing Baldzilla and Slayer don't post on this board any longer. They would tell me I have to learn how to catch them first:D
5th (Marty)

drichitt 10-01-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 8501)
It's a good thing Baldzilla and Slayer don't post on this board any longer. They would tell me I have to learn how to catch them first:D
5th (Marty)

He monitors based on a word search feature. You mentioned his name, it won't be long now:D

5th Tuition 10-01-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drichitt (Post 8502)
He monitors based on a word search feature. You mentioned his name, it won't be long now:D

Actually; it's my understanding that he dropped his account here and does not monitor it. He has no access to CBA anymore. So everyone can feel free to "rag" on him all they want:D.

Does anyone know if Brandon monitors this site:eek:?
5th (Marty)

JigStix 10-01-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 8503)
Does anyone know if Brandon monitors this site:eek:?
5th (Marty)

Yes, he does

Slayer 10-01-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 8501)
5th (Marty)

Ahem...

Man I'm gone for a little while and people have me dead and buried. Hey Marty, do you want my "Lateral Line Cuff Links" when I'm gone??? :D

SimpleBiology 10-01-2010 09:15 PM

man up...tuck your man tits away before you start milking....alot of estrogen flying about:eek:

5th Tuition 10-01-2010 09:56 PM

Hey Keith; what did they do, let you out on work release or something:D.

Baldy told me he was going to sic you on me.

You been catching any fish? You can post on this board, only about 6 of us read it:eek:.

5th (Marty)

CAGE RATTLER 10-02-2010 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 8480)
It' raining so here's something to ponder.

In anticipation of the return to great fall rockfishing, I have a question.
Often, when I get back to the pier from fishing and open the cooler, there are one or two rock still alive in the box.
Is there a humane way to kill them before I filet them? I was wondering if you could cut down behind the head and sever a spinal cord?
The other option would be to "whack em" with a club, but my neighbors might call "PETA" on me.
How do you accomplish "the act"?
5th (Marty)

p.s.
I realize I could just drag them behind the boat for a few more minutes, as this will surely kill them all dead (there's that dog with a bone thing again):D.

How about using a tazer :D
Just let someone else hold the fish when you taze it :eek:

Slayer 10-02-2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 8508)
Hey Keith; what did they do, let you out on work release or something:D.

Baldy told me he was going to sic you on me.

You been catching any fish? You can post on this board, only about 6 of us read it:eek:.

5th (Marty)

On the RARE occasions I've been able to get out I have caught. This was the summer from hell with work, trailer problems, and then major tow vehicle problems.

The cool weather the morning really has my mouth watering to get out. It's gonna be a good fall!

I'll post when I catch so all 3 of the board members can read it.

Oh, and to answer this thread, I've never known you to have a problem with this before...mainly because you don't ever catch anything. But slash the bastard right behind and underneath the gills. It'll bleed it out quickly and it helps improve the taste to boot!

Southerly 10-13-2010 07:07 AM

empathy, another slippery slope?

a 'fish anatomy' image search shows heart is at the underside of fish, right behind the gill plates. i think circulation is from heart, up through gills, then generally back along lateral line area. cutting fillets at lateral line and removing red meat all seems to make some sense in that respect.

bloodydecks has information about 'bleeding' fish, and following a search for 'ike jime' will lead you deeper into the world of professional fish prep for best price at auction. lots of information out there -are you eating pre-, post-, or rigor-mortis fish? and what is best?

more than i want to get involved in but out on the www, there are some interesting direct-comparison photos of 'striper' fillets from fish that were bled, fish that had full ike jime process, and fish that were wonked on the head, 'western' style.

after wading through a lot of material on the subject, my conclusion was that bleeding live fish by cutting through rear-most area between gills on bottom of live fish, to disconnect the beating heart from gills would probably result in fish losing any consciousness it may have? due to heart emptying blood from fish and possibly improve the taste of the fish at dinner time.

but there's also issue of the bloody mess. my little daughter is on board and i'm trying to not repulse her. and in coming years; attitudes may change and memories of me holding fish spurting blood all over the place may not be a fond recollection.

could make the cut and release the fish to the baitwell for a little while, then put on ice maybe but i decided that i'm pretty satisfied with less proactive method of simply putting them under ice, and the taste of fresh fish resulting from that method. remember the end of 'call of the wild' i think it was. fellow freezing to death decided to just sit down and sort of take a nap; as i remember it anyway.

at home, especially if there's any possibility that fish is still alive, i try to start the cleaning job by removing the head quickly, cleanly. i have no idea what the experience of being a fish might be but i have respect for them as living creatures and do not want to kill them by 1st scaling, 2nd gutting, 3rd severing head where #3 is probably the death blow.

5th Tuition 10-13-2010 08:02 AM

Southerly; good information. Obviously, you put some time into your answer, and I thank you for that.
With the weather getting colder, I find myself with probably those last two fish (to fill out a limit) still alive at the dock when you want to filet.
I'll try the "slice behind the gills" for those last two in the cooler.
5th (Marty)

Skip 10-14-2010 10:42 AM

I've bled fish before - if I'm cleaning them within 6 hours - I don't bother.
With Tuna though - it is recommended.
You'll know when you hit the right spot - blood literally pumps out.
Only drawback - if in a fish box is the mess. The blood often congels - making clots that clog the drain. They are great for grossing out the crew - slurp one like an oyster :D.

5th Tuition 10-14-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 8664)
I've bled fish before
You'll know when you hit the right spot - blood literally pumps out.
Only drawback - if in a fish box is the mess. The blood often congels - making clots that clog the drain..

I'll tell Lou to bring his cooler:D.
5th

thill 10-20-2010 07:28 PM

Keep the fish in a livewell that has at least 750 GPH.

When you are ready to kill the fish, cut straight down from the gills, and you cut the aorta every time. Drop the fish back into the livewell, and 5 minutes later, you will have the cleanest, whitest, best-tasting fillets possible. Bury them in ice immediately.

It DOES make a difference in the taste and also how long it will stay Sushi-fresh. Also, it's a quick, humane end to an amazing, beautiful animal.

-TH

Night Nurse 10-22-2010 05:44 PM

Close the cooler and come back in ten min. They will be dead soon enough.:D

TED

Shawn Kimbro 10-22-2010 09:16 PM

As much as I like Don's wife's idea about the vodka (just drink it yourself and you won't give a sh^t), I have to chime in. The lobster and crab guys have this down. When animals freeze to death everything just slows down and they go to sleep. Same with fish. Put them in a cooler on ice for a while and they'll never feel a thing.