CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Fellow Trollers (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1270)

5th Tuition 03-28-2011 08:36 AM

Fellow Trollers

So the weather looks like it is going to break near the end of the week and I should have my boat back from my dealer any day.

With only six rods, what are your favorite BOAT rods to run?

I'll probably put out one board and run three board rods. If I put out one Way Back line, that leaves two spots open for boat rods.

What's your favorite boat rod? Because it's only 6 rods, I will probably run two umbrellas in these last two spots. What's your favorite setup?

An example would be: Large umbrella with double 9 inch shads on two oz. chutes back 120 ft and with 20 oz of weight.

So what's your best catcher?

5th (Marty)

B-Faithful 03-28-2011 09:17 AM

I run 4 off one board and 2 off the boat.

Off the boat has been two umbrellas. One umbrella gets 16 oz other gets 20 or 24 oz. One white and one green and out 55-75' respectively

White umbrella has been getting a 6/3oz tandem following it close. 6oz gets a 9" shad, 3 oz gets a 6" shad. 6" shad gets most the bites.

Green umbrella has 2oz bucktails with 9" off each arm.

Once the bait is in full force, I will put 5 off of the board. Boards get tandems and solo chutes to cover the upper water column

5th Tuition 03-28-2011 10:35 AM

So Greg; you must be running a short 6 and 3 oz tandem off the center of the umbrella? Then on the other umbrella you are running bucktails off opposing arms of the umbrella?

Right?

Do you always run your biggest weight off the shortest umbrella (55 ft)?

Does the 75 ft umbrella get hit more often? 55 feet seems really short, does it act like an attractant for the fish but then they hit the 75 ft umbrella.

Marty

B-Faithful 03-28-2011 10:45 AM

yup. the tandem comes off the center of the white umbrella.. 2ozers are on opposing arms of the umbrella.

The white umbrella has been very hot since i put it together last fall. It was even the rig that Pauls son reeled in his 38lber on and it took the first two fish trolling this spring.

length-wise I sometimes even run them the same length depending upon where the themacline shows on my finder. If it seems shallow I will put both out 5 bars on a 330gti. If it seems a little deeper, I will put out to 7bars or so. My speed also varies. As the water warms up I will troll up to 4-4.5mph so the deep rods will get put out a hair longer. By putting out the same length with different weight, I have them at a varied depth.

5th Tuition 03-28-2011 11:19 AM

Thanks Greg; I only know of one other guy who fishes a tandem off his Lg Umb. (Alan). I have only done the opposing arm twin baits.
Thanks, Marty

Anybody else have a good boat rod umbrella setup?

Skip 03-28-2011 12:07 PM

Just wear a pair of white boots - then you can run as many as you want. :D

Fish Nut 03-28-2011 01:31 PM

Since I have to convince the NRP officer I am fishing for blue fish I run a 21 Tony on one rod Boat rod

Normally run one planer board
Planer line a light daisy chain with 3oz lure
Planer line a tandem heavy 8- 4 combo
Planer line another tandem 5-3
Planer line a single 4 or 5 oz lure

Boat rod A chandler rig with Billy bar attached. Trailing 3oz baits 45-50' out:eek:

reeltor 03-28-2011 03:07 PM

I'll second Greg's setup. Deep rods are running around thermocline to pick off big momma.

5th Tuition 03-28-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeltor (Post 10429)
I'll second Greg's setup. Deep rods are running around thermocline to pick off big momma.

Come on Paul; does Greg ever catch anything off those umbrellas:D. I've never trolled with him yet, so he could tell me anything:eek:.
5th (Marty)

justchillin 03-28-2011 04:27 PM

Hey Marty i actually cut down 2 of my umbrellas just to see how the smaller ones catch. If they catch the same they should be a little more user friendly lol