CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Thanks Mark (Baldzilla) (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=348)

5th Tuition 01-05-2010 03:13 PM

Thanks Mark (Baldzilla)

With all the "Global Warming" going on the past decade, I was looking forward to some nice fishing this winter. The rockfish used to winter over in North Carolina, then many of them started to winter over in Virginia Beach; I was looking forward to the year they started to winter in the Chesapeake. Then Mark goes and buys some "Artic Armor" for this winter. We haven't had as cold a start to winter in a long time. Add in the wind, and it's downright uncomfortable out there. If I can catch a nice sunny day with little wind, I usually hit some ponds on the eastern shore for bass, crappie, and pickeral. This usually keeps me sane until the fishing and boat shows start. But; all I've been doing is bringing in more and more firewood to the house.

What has everyone else been doing? Anyone getting a line wet? I see Tyler's is having a sale soon, and the Timonium show is close, so I only need a few more days until mid month to get through. Stay warm!!! 5th (Marty)

Slayer 01-05-2010 03:48 PM

I know it's a bit of a hike for all you fancy pants bay bridge guys but the Richmond fishing expo is going on 15-17 Jan (in Richmond to boot..go figger :confused: ). It's huge!

mlag 01-05-2010 04:22 PM

I went to see Jim at Marty's today and picked up a few "goodies" for the upcoming season:)............................"the other Mark"

Ralph 01-05-2010 04:35 PM

I'm with ya, Marty. I don't mind normal cold weather, but all this wind just makes me want to stay inside. (I don't have as much extra natural protection from the wind a mlag does :D). It does warm me up cutting wood for the fireplace though! Other than that, it's a good time to catch up on the to-do list of home repairs and upgrades that I never get to in the summer.

drichitt 01-05-2010 05:18 PM

Packing right now for 2 weeks in Cancun:D. Florida isn't even warm enough right now. Sorry Marty, couldn't resist...Don

goinsfishin 01-05-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlag (Post 3344)
I went to see Jim at Marty's today and picked up a few "goodies" for the upcoming season:)............................"the other Mark"

I just missed ya on my stop at Jim's for some spring goodies.......gotta do something.....even the dog doesn't want to go out in this cold.

Spot77 01-05-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 3338)
If I can catch a nice sunny day with little wind, I usually hit some ponds on the eastern shore for bass, crappie, and pickeral. This usually keeps me sane until the fishing and boat shows start. But; all I've been doing is bringing in more and more firewood to the house.

What has everyone else been doing? Anyone getting a line wet? I see Tyler's is having a sale soon, and the Timonium show is close, so I only need a few more days until mid month to get through. Stay warm!!! 5th (Marty)

We tried some shore ponds last week and most were frozen over pretty good then. I imagine they're even worse by now. Wye Mills, Unicorn, Tuckahoe and one other semi-secret :rolleyes: spot were no good.

The spillways at Tuckohoe and Unicorn were ok though and I did get a few tiny nibbles at Tuckahoe.

I think I'll stick to the Wii fishing game for a few weeks.

5th Tuition 01-05-2010 07:59 PM

The spillways at Tuckohoe and Unicorn were ok though and I did get a few tiny nibbles at Tuckahoe.

Spot77; Have you checked out the lake on Noble road off of 404? I'm having a senior moment and can't think of it's name. The spillway usually holds some fish. 5th

Smithville Lake!!!!!!!

Spot77 01-05-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 3356)

Spot77; Have you checked out the lake on Noble road off of 404? I'm having a senior moment and can't think of it's name. The spillway usually holds some fish. 5th

Smithville Lake!!!!!!!

Yup, that's Smithville. I went there a few months ago and found there to be a massive fishkill in the lake. Hundreds and hundreds of fish floating on top, and stinking like hell. Shad, catfish, Pickerel, Bluegill and Bass.

And the SAV was so thick I couldn't move with my trolling motor. My gas motor barely got me through it. :rolleyes:

BUT, I've never fished the spillway below the lake! I'll give it a shot soon as it warms up a bit.

The other spillway that ROCKS is right below Johnson's Pond in Salisbury. Last year on NYE some friends and I caught Crappie, Pickerel, Bass, Catfish and Stripers right there....all nice size too. The Striper was a nice surprise and at almost 24 inches it was tough to let him go. He must've been lost all the way up there!

justchillin 01-05-2010 09:22 PM

Well in between snow storms I have managed to pour and paint my new spring spread and I finally got the boat down to Jaws for its service. I even made an extra 8 that I can grind off the barbs if necessary for c/r. Guess I'd better start some of the hunny do's soon.