CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Fish fin poke gone bad. (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=2283)

garlien 07-07-2013 08:36 AM

Looks terrible, but I know it will provide a good lesson for many of us...Guess the guys won't give me as much of a hard time for wearing gloves anymore...

I know its gotta be hard to see all the folks there that have come back with injuries that are so hard to see, but on the positive side, they made it back home and will get to see their friends and families again....In the end, that is what is really important....

Get better !

Tawn 07-07-2013 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Drain holes.. Must heal from the inside out. No stitches to close them up.

Does Grundens Make the gloves the guys on Deasliest Catch wear. Seriously, if the stand up to commercial crab work, surely they would work on the Bay.

5th Tuition 07-07-2013 12:48 PM

In about two weeks; that hand is going to feel much better with a cold beer in it:D

If it has to heal from the inside out; the alcohol (beer) should help:eek:

So sorry to see that hand in that condition.

5th (Marty)

Skip 07-07-2013 01:02 PM

So what you are saying is - If I go fishing they'll give me Percocet ? :D

Seriously - thank you for posting , think we'll all be more careful.

When you heal up - stop in Marty's. Jim has a gift from me to you - hopefully help prevent this from happening to you again.

CAGE RATTLER 07-07-2013 02:37 PM

Thanks for posting and hope you have a speedy recovery.
I love the FISH OFF gloves and have a couple pair velcroed around the boat for easy access. I still however grab a fish bare handed from time to time and will re-think that after this post.

mlag 07-07-2013 05:17 PM

Dang Tawn that's tough. Thanks for sharing. Obviously we all need to be more careful.....................Mark

one fish 07-07-2013 05:56 PM

dang

Hope all goes well. I am paranoid about that crap, ever since wino talked about it years ago.

in cold wx I always wear thin gloves and grab the leader and use a dehooker to flip the rock.

fri we were LL with spot. i did not have gloves on and got pricked by a spot fin. put on the liquid disinfectent a couple times. and oinmt at home for the two days. looks ok. don't know if spot can do it to you, but don't want to find out.

not LL without gloves on again.
good luck. ron

B-Faithful 07-08-2013 06:41 AM

Tawn, Thanks for sharing online. Even though my son had to have surgery to have an infected lymphnode from swimming in the bay removed about 5 years ago, I still get careless about fish handling. Your infection appears to be very fast growing. (my sons was very very slow growing). Your story will have me be more careful!

I hope you get better soon!

bhl 07-08-2013 07:40 AM

Holy crap Tawn, I wish you a speedy recovery. It sure makes me rethink about using gloves.

bhl (Bruce)

Spot77 07-09-2013 12:01 PM

I hope your wife/girlfriend/significant other/life partner treats you to an extra great "old fashioned" while the hand is recovering. :D

I had big suregery on my paw a few years ago and I remember what a change it was to do things one handed or with my weak hand. It's amazing the simple things we take for granted.