CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   A Lot of Jumpers Lately...... (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1685)

Spot77 01-30-2012 07:06 PM

A Lot of Jumpers Lately......

My wife works at the local firehouse and just texted me that there's another jumper on the bridge right now.

Allegedly there's a "blackout" on reporting these incidents to avoid encouraging copycats.:eek:

drichitt 01-30-2012 07:25 PM

My sister is a nurse at AA general and she confirms the same about keeping it quiet. Main reason is not to give someone who feels so down and out any ideas about a final pitstop atop the BB. Very sad when someone feels such hopelessness.

Southerly 01-30-2012 09:14 PM

someone with the SHA once told me it was about 1/week avg. i had a good friend that did it from key bridge. marine, ladysman, smart, funny. 20 plus years later i still miss him and wonder why.

Blakesdad 01-31-2012 03:12 PM

Christmas Credit Card bills coming in, I'd jump too.....:rolleyes:

Skip 01-31-2012 05:26 PM

I've heard on average - about 15 people jump off the bay bridge each year.

You are correct - news does keep it very quiet. I bet if they showed how mangled a body is after falling from that height - might prevent 1-2 suicides.

There are " last resort " phones near the center of the bridge - you know there must be a lot of people who jump to put the phones there.

Suicide is awful. Lost two good friends , they just could not handle a bunch of little problems.

Spot77 01-31-2012 06:51 PM

My wife is an EMT at the local firehouse and went to the call AFTER the jump. Seems that an MTA cop somehow got half his body overboard and banged up his leg a bit. Probably scared the crap out of him.:eek:

It's a selfish act for sure, but it's ten times worse when you do it in a way that endangers so many others.

I wonder if my family will actually scatter my ashes up and down the bay like I want......

5th Tuition 01-31-2012 06:55 PM

We can scatter them around "Howards Subway":D
Good place for a "wake".
5th

Spot77 01-31-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 12542)
We can scatter them around "Howards Subway":D
Good place for a "wake".
5th

If I scattered my ashes around all of my favorite watering holes we'd run out of ashes awfully quick.

But boy I do love Howard's.

If it meant anything, I'd proclaim it to be the official watering hole of cbangler.com. :cool:

Skip 01-31-2012 07:17 PM

Few years ago - in fall , a suicide jumper off the bridge almost landed on a fishing boat. No doubt the impact would have killed the guy fishing.

Speaking of scattering ashes - read a cool story.

A diver was cremated and his ashes divided into a dozen jars. His buddies took a jar each time they went to a new dive location and scattered his ashes.

I'm hoping they find big enough chunks of me to cremate - then scatter my ashes into the duct work of strip clubs :D

Southerly 02-01-2012 05:55 AM

i expect 15/yr is likely more accurate.

the fellow i was talking to was (a yellow truck driver) working bridge maintence. a call came over the radio; a code ??? (can't remember) for a jumper. he was all excited like it was entertainment for his day, and we talked about jumpers for awhile.

not a jumper necessarily, but i sometimes think that sooner or later, finding a body somewhere floating will become part of my chesapeake experience. glad to say, that's not happened so far.