CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Trolling for the Fall (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1097)

Fish Nut 11-04-2010 10:39 AM

Trolling for the Fall

Gang, I haven’t fished much lately do to work. The little time I have had has been dreaming of big rock that may arrive shortly. In preparation for fall trolling have been messing with the mill machine and modifying trolling lure molds. I am considering making some heavy lures 8 and 12 oz lures how many of you guys use these heavy lures? I am also looking at making a mold for slider heads in the 3, 4, 5, and 6 oz. The slider head would be nice for positioning one hook in the lure. What do you guys think, should I concentrate on heavy or slider designs?

I did have one rod I ran heavy this spring that was on fire 14oz.

B-Faithful 11-04-2010 10:55 AM

I run 6oz/9oz tandems regularly. I also pull umbrellas with up to 24-28oz. Sometimes the deep stuff is the hot stuff.

SimpleBiology 11-04-2010 04:32 PM

I pull a 16oz mojo 6ft behind a 16oz trolling sinker at 50ft and it has been quite productive at times.

drichitt 11-04-2010 05:31 PM

Rob - I had 2 - 9/6oz Tandems mixed in with my planer board rods. These 2 set-ups 75% of my planer rod fish. Everything else came on deep umbrellas, same as Greg.....Don

5th Tuition 11-04-2010 06:28 PM

Rob, as you know, I used the "slider" lures this preseason. I could use a single barbless hook and set it back further than the normal "first" hook on a regular parachute (but not as far back as a stinger hook). The "catching" was so bad, I'm not sure if it was the lure or the lack of fish that contributed to the slow action.
If you are putting on the "mylar", I'll buy a few to add to the spread. If the winter jellies are bad, the slider lures don't collect as much debris as the conventional lures.
I don't run many heavy lures because I run the "dipsey divers" deep.

p.s. I hope you dad's knees are ok:D.
5th (Marty)

Fish Nut 11-05-2010 11:58 AM

Guys thanks for the input. I just was looking for a reason to make bigger / heavier lures. Wait until you see some modifications I have made.

For Marty I am working on powder coating chin patches on lures and trying to add smoke permanently to my collection of paint.

Keith wanted me to make some gay looking blue / pink lure with fiber optic strands in it that light up and says eat me. :D

Hockleyneck 11-05-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Nut (Post 8866)
Guys thanks for the input. I just was looking for a reason to make bigger / heavier lures. Wait until you see some modifications I have made.

For Marty I am working on powder coating chin patches on lures and trying to add smoke permanently to my collection of paint.

Keith wanted me to make some gay looking blue / pink lure with fiber optic strands in it that light up and says eat me. :D

I'll take a purple "eat me" with mylar. The stuff you posted pictures of last year looked pretty darn good for your first try. Good luck and post some pictures of the new tackle.

Slayer 11-11-2010 08:03 PM

Hey Rob,

Definitely use some of the heavier rigs in the fall. I run a couple 9 oz singles and they are always a crowd pleaser and my 7 oz daisies are like magnets.

Jalopy 11-12-2010 12:12 PM

How do we get a hold of some of your Mylar chutes?