CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Water Quality Thread (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1875)

5th Tuition 06-18-2012 11:02 AM

Water Quality Thread

As you know, I keep track of some of the Chesapeake Bay Interactive Buoy Information. I know others do as well. I thought it might be interesting if I just posted some numbers periodically for you to "digest". I don't know if I'm interpreting these numbers correctly, so feel free to jump in and give your opinion as to what the numbers signify.

Todays Numbers

Date----Buoy----Chlorophyl----DO2
6/18----Pata-------36.35------8.42
--------Anna-------17.56------7.24
--------Goos-------10.20------9.56
--------Poto--------5.48------6.42

This "suggests" to me that there is another algae bloom happening in the Patapsco. As this falls to the bottom and begins to die, it will deplete the O2 in the Patapsco in the near future. The Dissolved Oxygen content of 8.42 is a good number and this suggests the bloom has not begun dieing off yet.

You can see the Chlorophyl numbers decreasing as you head down the bay. Gooses Reef looks like it has the best numbers, with DO2 near 10.

I'll post more numbers throughout the summer.
5th (Marty)

reds 06-18-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 13664)
As you know, I keep track of some of the Chesapeake Bay Interactive Buoy Information. I know others do as well. I thought it might be interesting if I just posted some numbers periodically for you to "digest". I don't know if I'm interpreting these numbers correctly, so feel free to jump in and give your opinion as to what the numbers signify.

Todays Numbers

Date----Buoy----Chlorophyl----DO2
6/18----Pata-------36.35------8.42
--------Anna-------17.56------7.24
--------Goos-------10.20------9.56
--------Poto--------5.48------6.42

This "suggests" to me that there is another algae bloom happening in the Patapsco. As this falls to the bottom and begins to die, it will deplete the O2 in the Patapsco in the near future. The Dissolved Oxygen content of 8.42 is a good number and this suggests the bloom has not begun dieing off yet.

You can see the Chlorophyl numbers decreasing as you head down the bay. Gooses Reef looks like it has the best numbers, with DO2 near 10.

I'll post more numbers throughout the summer.
5th (Marty)

I think it is somewhere around 4 DO that the fish and crabs start having problems.

drichitt 06-18-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reds (Post 13666)
I think it is somewhere around 4 DO that the fish and crabs start having problems.

When DO concentrations drop below 5 fish become stressed especially if exposed to these conditions for prolonged periods.

5th Tuition 06-18-2012 09:13 PM

Maybe because we have a monetary system based on 10; but I always like to have one rod out 10 bars with 10 ounces; AND; I like to see Chlorophyl <10 and DO2 >10:D.
5th (Marty)

Spot77 06-20-2012 07:42 AM

No dead fish in the water or on the beaches for the pasty week or so.

I wonder what this hot weather coming our way will bring.:confused: