CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   8 weeks (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1176)

5th Tuition 01-20-2011 05:59 PM

8 weeks

If we have a normal weather pattern the next two months; I hope to be fishing in about 8 weeks. We start on St. Patricks Day (March 17th) many years.
Every once and a while a friend asks me to jig the power plant during Feb.; but my PSCR starts 3/17.
I was thinking about lashing my boat, Alan's boat, and Lou's boat together so we could put out a full 18 rods with boards:D this year.
5th (Marty)

Spot77 01-20-2011 06:14 PM

When we do our early bass fishing trips, which are usually somewhat unproductive we raft up and call it, "****bird Island."

There's usually lots of beer, sangria and politically incorrect jokes. :D

Blakesdad 01-20-2011 07:42 PM

Years ago, my " barometer" was February 18. My very first trip to the Power Plant, and what a day we had.

Since then, the PP sucks, so I'll wait till March...

garlien 01-20-2011 09:04 PM

So I am thinkin if I can get the new equipment on the boat I am going to try and put it in as close to March 1st as I can....

I am just too impatient and my poor fall has me wanting to get out there as soon as I can...

Looks like I will pick up the HDS 8 in mid feb...Hopefully will have the other equipment boxes, new VHF, etc...ordered in the next week or so....Then just a matter of getting it all on the boat as close to March 1st as possible...I hate working in the cold...:( Heck for that matter, I hate cold...

March average low 33, average high 53....Engine wont freeze in that weather...and we spring forward on March 13th...Thats an extra hour or so everyday I am out on the water...If its warm in the evening thats even more....

Is it spring yet ?

reds 01-21-2011 08:31 AM

Here is a little hint.

The commercial user group ran out of January quota on the 13th of January.

This means there are A LOT of rockfish schooled in the bay right now.

Skip 01-21-2011 09:43 AM

When CCNPP was good - I'd fish there in morning until about 9:00 or so , then run east to CP marker. Zig zag pattern back to Breezy trolling 8-9 rods.

Some years - got first fish trolling in Late Feb. - some years not until mid March.

Most times - seeing a few Gannets was the key. One year - there were Pelicans first week of March :confused::confused:

Hopefully 2011 will be better then 2010 was.

Hockleyneck 01-21-2011 09:57 AM

Lots of good fishing now as well. Gunpowder Falls has had decent days and the YP bite has been off the hook. I personally want to go to NC soon, I just need the O rings to repack my trailer bearings.

reeltor 01-21-2011 11:31 AM

Glad you guys are off of the water:D

Fish Nut 01-21-2011 11:45 AM

The word on the street is the rock fish are on an upswing in population.

Evidently, someone hit a rock fish in the head with net so many times, it educated all of the fish in the bay to avoid nets. :D

I predict a good season

Spot77 01-21-2011 01:38 PM

Mid March is usually my breaking point.

I'm having some work done on my trailer next Saturday and I should be good to go anytime after that.

But it gets REAL cold on that little bass boat at 45mph.......:eek: