CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Beginner needs help (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=3548)

Stace711 06-06-2018 02:30 PM

Beginner needs help

Just getting into the sport,,, I have my Dad's old rod (a Diawa graphite med action, 12-20 lb and 1-4oz lure weight) and a Penn 209 level wind reel with no info on it... I'd like to use it for trolling rock in med to deep water (20-70 ft) but don't know what line to use.. After watching some YouTube videos, I'm totally confused.. "backing", "topshot", "leader length", etc, etc.... I'm planning on using single rig bucktails with sassy shad and I'd like to try using an umbrella rig also.. I was thinking about 30lb braid and then just attach 50lb mono or floro as a leader... Am I on the right track? how much leader? I also ordered a RediRig to help with depth control,, where/how much, if any weight to use and where does it go on the rig? In short, I'm in need of all the advice/info I can get.. I'm just a beginner, but eager to learn:D

Finprof 06-06-2018 03:17 PM

I am not far from a newbie and have only been fishing in the Bay for about 5 years but have a lot of freshwater fishing experience, particularly fly fishing for trout.
I have several rods somewhat like yours that I use for semi-light tackle trolling but do it old-school. The braid is tied to on a three-way swivel to a tandem with a spoon (e.g. Tony 15) on the long section about 12 feet long and a bucktail with a shad or twisty tail on the short section 4 feet long. With no weight and about 50 feet of line out it will be about 7 feet deep. Up in the rivers where it is tight I will run 2-4 rods with varying weight up to about 8 ounces, which will get down nearly 20 feet. I learned this technique for one of my neighbors who was born near the Miles River. He can follow the contours and dropoffs without looking at his sonar and he catches fish regularly.

Umbrellas have a lot more drag than a tandem and might be a bit much for your rod even with no weight. I use heavier rods out on the main bay for umbrellas with weight.

If you are in Easton, I am in St Michaels. You can jump on my boat some time and learn from someone who really doesn't know what he is doing.

Stace711 06-06-2018 04:52 PM

Thanks Finprof .... I just might take you up on that ;)

Stace711 06-06-2018 04:54 PM

What kind of rod do you use for trolling umbrellas ? I'm on a tight budget

Spot77 06-07-2018 12:50 PM

Welcome and good luck this season!

I personally don't care for trolling but I suppose sometimes it has to be done. :rolleyes:

Have you ever been on a charter boat that trolled?

Not trying to be a salesman, but there's a good captain on this forum that runs small charters and might be good to learn from. I'm sure he'd give you plenty of info while getting you on fish.

Try this link: http://www.ifishmd.com/

Greg's a real nice guy and it might be a few hundred dollars well spent.

Finprof 06-07-2018 02:32 PM

Going with someone who really knows what they are doing is a huge help.
I was really really lucky that I got on a boat several times with Don (Hunter) and Dan (Onemorecast) who really know what they are doing and picked up a lot from them.

To answer your question about rods for umbrellas I use an Okuma Convector 45 reel on an Ande Tournament rod. 20-50 with no or little weight and 50-70 with weight. I got them from Tochtermans in Baltimore. About $140 with line.

BTW a tight budget and rockfishing do not go together well. I didn't realize it until Dan (Onemorecast) told me that this is a rich man's sport. It might be a bit of an overstatement because neither he nor I are rich, but we have spent a lot of money trying to catch rockfish.

Mako mike 06-07-2018 03:55 PM

I’ll show you everything I know, should only take about a half hour! Seriously though I’m always looking for people to go, I’m far from a professional but willing to have you along to show you a few things. My boat is located in Pasadena

Stace711 06-08-2018 12:12 AM

Oh I've thought of that... but I'm on a tight budget... I'd love to go with a pro sometime tho..

Stace711 06-08-2018 12:20 AM

Mako mike ... thanks for the gracious invitation.. I'd love to go out with you sometime, anytime actually..I'm new to this forum so what's the best way to set something up? email perhaps?

Stace711 06-08-2018 12:59 AM

You know, it's funny Finprof... almost any sport any more is a rich man's game.. golf (which I've tried). tennis,, even bowling .. I just love being out on the water and would like to catch a few nice rockfish,,, but I just really don't know how