CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Ramps... (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=313)

B-Faithful 12-19-2009 03:12 PM

Ramps...

We will need a thread to see how long it takes until the ramps are clear. Particularly Point Lookout ;):)

Hockleyneck 12-19-2009 06:59 PM

I would not want to pull anything heavy today, might be a little scary.

rbschou 12-19-2009 07:03 PM

Just talked to Buzz's Marina and they only got a few inches so PLO is probably the same. The ramp should not be too bad. I live right next to the Solomon's Bridge and I have just over a foot, what a difference 20 miles makes.

B-Faithful 12-19-2009 09:24 PM

I wont fish until the week after christmas but am hoping the ramp and lots get plowed so that ice isnt there for weeks.. glad to hear they got less snow down there. We got hammered here in Annapolis :eek:

Spot77 12-23-2009 09:27 PM

Well B I went down to the Cape ramp tonight and I won't be launching there anytime soon. Things were pretty iced over and they're rebuilding the bulkheads right now so it'll be hit or miss as to whether the ramp will be open or not.

Can you launch there or is it too much of a pain trying to get through that part of the neighborhood?

B-Faithful 12-23-2009 09:50 PM

I try not to use the community ramp unless SPSP is crowded in the summer. I have no problem towing through the community but the ramp is short and the finger pier doesn't parallel the ramp well so I need help. I can use the ramp with my son as he will power the boat onto the trailer while I hook the boat and pull to level ground. Launching is no problem unless it is a low tide. Very Low tides kill me because the ramp is so short I cannot get my bunks below the water without risking the trailer dropping off the back of the ramp. Most low tides are fine though. I just need one person to help generally.

The ramp is also more of a run to the fishing grounds. I would just rather launch at SPSP

Spot77 12-26-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 3158)
I try not to use the community ramp unless SPSP is crowded in the summer. I have no problem towing through the community but the ramp is short and the finger pier doesn't parallel the ramp well so I need help. I can use the ramp with my son as he will power the boat onto the trailer while I hook the boat and pull to level ground. Launching is no problem unless it is a low tide. Very Low tides kill me because the ramp is so short I cannot get my bunks below the water without risking the trailer dropping off the back of the ramp. Most low tides are fine though. I just need one person to help generally.

The ramp is also more of a run to the fishing grounds. I would just rather launch at SPSP

I hear ya. Fortunately with my little bass boat I can launch ther even when the wind has blown all the water out of the creek AND it's low tide. Since I never venture much out of the river it works well for me. The furthest I've gone out was a little past the lighthouse and that was only twice; once to jig around the lighthouse and the other time to rescue my stranded neighbor in the middle of the night.

Getting back on the trailer is a breeze too. Dunk the trailer a little and drive the boat right on. Hop on the trailer tongue and never get my feet wet. :D