CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Team B-Faithful MSSA Tournament (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1313)

B-Faithful 05-02-2011 08:45 AM

Team B-Faithful MSSA Tournament

3 Attachment(s)
summary:

Friday and Sat out of PLO. Landed 16 fish Friday and 9 fish Saturday. Biggest on Sat went 36.4lbs and we broke our line 3x on with new 50lb power pro, 2 at the rubberband. :confused:

Sunday out SPSP we ran to Poplar Island trolled to BPL. Landed 7 fish. Son entered a 25.4lber in the kids division

Missed the top ten by 1.3lbs...

Bend-Lure 05-02-2011 09:02 AM

Nice work!

reds 05-02-2011 10:16 AM

Tournaments may be suspended after this year. Make them count.

mlag 05-02-2011 10:28 AM

Congrats man. I'm sure Brennan had a blast fishing with dad............Mark

B-Faithful 05-02-2011 11:23 AM

Brennan had a blast but was ready to skip fishing today.

Reds, as long as there are open seasons I will fight for tournaments. Tournament anglers are subject to the same regs as any other fishermen whether they are fishing a tournament or not. No special priviledges are given to those fishing a tournament. Some tournaments have tighter regulations than (MSSA tournament has a 36" min).

reds 05-02-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 10751)
Brennan had a blast but was ready to skip fishing today.

Reds, as long as there are open seasons I will fight for tournaments. Tournament anglers are subject to the same regs as any other fishermen whether they are fishing a tournament or not. No special priviledges are given to those fishing a tournament. Some tournaments have tighter regulations than (MSSA tournament has a 36" min).

It didn't take much to move the tournaments back to May. A mandatory 50 percent reduction in catch will move them back to What? December.

Hockleyneck 05-02-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reds (Post 10752)
It didn't take much to move the tournaments back to May. A mandatory 50 percent reduction in catch will move them back to What? December.

I like to eat rockfish but would support a 50% reduction in the total catch. Lets hope they do it for all states and address the menhaden fleet as well. More C&R and non kill tournaments would be great for the long term health of this fishery.

B-Faithful 05-02-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reds (Post 10752)

The topic of tournaments was brought up at a fall SFAC meeting. Appeared that most said that the DNR shouldnt even monitoring tournments given that anglers are fishing within regulations. See page 79 here for transcripts: http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/ma...Transcirpt.pdf

I will start now by saying that I believe DNR should strongly consider the no-take slot from 2007 to effectively achieve a reduction if necessary. It proved to be very effective as despite an increase in participation in 2007 over 2006 that the harvest was reduced by half even with a 33" min in 06. Tow hurdles to climb in Maryland though. 1. Charter boats capts claimed all those fish died, which I believe to be untrue unless they were not handled properly. 2. DNR complained about the number of recreational violations of the no-take slot. To me this was more of a problem due to a lack of consistancy in regulations from year to year. The first year level of violations would decrease with consistancy to the next year.

reds 05-02-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockleyneck (Post 10753)
I like to eat rockfish but would support a 50% reduction in the total catch. Lets hope they do it for all states and address the menhaden fleet as well. More C&R and non kill tournaments would be great for the long term health of this fishery.

C&R will take a hit also. The stress on C&R fish is well known. Never mind the great handling act some do while picture taking. The user groups will be pointing fingers and nobody wins

Get a new hobby guys, by Chesapeake Bay user groups trying to screw each other, the northern boys will reign.

B-Faithful 05-02-2011 02:11 PM

If that is the case then we need new representation at the ASMFC...