CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Ran the boat yesterday and did a little trolling (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1263)

Rollin Rock 03-21-2011 06:36 AM

Ran the boat yesterday and did a little trolling

Took the boat out of Sandy Point yesterday for a little pre season trial and took along 6 rods. Boat ran great! The fishing on the other hand was dead. Trolled 6 rods around TPL for a couple hours, did not see any baitfish, water temp was around 44-46 degrees. I think maybe I'll try again the first week of April.

5th Tuition 03-21-2011 08:03 AM

How muddy was the water?
5th (Marty)

dances_with_fish 03-21-2011 08:13 AM

Same thing... I went out of Rhode river and put out 6 rods as soon as I got to 40' and trolled over to BPL and back. The water was mid 40 degrees and still had a muddy tint. I marked 6 fish all 20'-24' down in 80' of water. There is still alot of floating driftwood out there so be careful!

On a postive note: I seen an Osprey bulding a nest on the Rhode and must have seen 40 Gannets flying and looking.

Rollin Rock 03-21-2011 08:43 AM

Water was still pretty muddy another reason why I did not hand around very long!

Spot77 03-21-2011 08:49 AM

After that storm last night/this morning I suspect we'll have more muddy water for a few more days.

How nasty was your hull when you pulled out?

B-Faithful 03-21-2011 08:58 AM

We had a couple off of BPL thurs.. Had to hit them on the head as the water was so bad. No fish off the one planer board we ran. They came on deep rods just outside the channel. We lost two rigs due to snags too.

Rivercat09 03-21-2011 11:24 AM

The water temperature at TPL is still a chilly 45.5 °F, a tad too cool from the 52°F that I've read about being the turning point. I read something on Shawn's site about the spring muds, and so it may be a little while yet. I still want to get out ASAP and give it a shot!

garlien 03-21-2011 11:26 AM

I was out yesterday as well....Above the bridge...The water has started to clear up...Still could only see a foot or two but much better than it was last week....

Maybe my sensor is reading a little warmer than others, I saw a consistent temp around 50 for most of the day where I was...

No real bait sighted, no birds (except for hungry seagulls)....Did see some fish on the sonar (spent the day learning about the new unit)...They were small and scattered at best...Not that many either....

I am thinking about 10 days and it begins to really happen...As long as temps this week don't impact the water too much....Next week it looks like we will start getting consistent upper 50's and 60's....Average high in April is usually mid 60's and the mean temperature is a full 10 degrees above March...So its going to happen in the first part of April....Let's hope its sooner than later.....

:)

5th Tuition 03-21-2011 12:01 PM

I've been out a couple times and several others have been out. If we have another poor spring season, the "official" statement will again be "they came in early, and left before most people were fishing for them":D.

Seems like DNR is trying to pick up on that old fishing story, "you should have been here yesterday":eek:.

5th (Marty)

Fish Nut 03-21-2011 01:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You guys are all pulling the Wrong Lures. Of cource you may have educated the fish. They have heard the concerens about PSCR:D

I have already seen an increased aversion to landing nets. Who do we blame for that??????? :D

Wish I was out showing you guys how it's done But