CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   2015 Year in review (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=3089)

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 10:29 AM

2015 Year in review

2 Attachment(s)
Well; It's a wet rainy day and the boat was put in storage yesterday:mad: I already am in withdraw:eek:
So bear with me as I try to post some pic's from 2015.

The year started off with a few nice days in January. I was itching to get outside, so the wife and I rode to the Eastern Shore and walked the trails at Tackahoo State Park.
The beavers were busy getting their dens ready for the upcoming cold weather!

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 10:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I talked some friends into doing a little pond fishing while the weather was still warm enough to get some lures in the water:D
I think Mike (garlein) got pissed because I had the hot hand today:eek:

The fish were small, but at least we were fishing:)

I did get this nice crappie on a live shiner:eek:

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 10:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Cold weather set in here in Md.; but Alex (Overcooked) was basking in the Florida Keys with his new 27 Judge.

I on the other hand was busy checking EBay for some new reels and busy clearing snow:eek:

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 10:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
No one was launching for quite a while. Sandy Point and Shipping Creek were iced in.

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 10:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
There was nothing to do except rig tackle and wait for the thaw. New shads went on the umbrellas and I hang all my chutes on an old wooden clothes rack.

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 10:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thank goodness, the spring thaw finally got here and it was time to splash the boat and do a shake down cruise with six lines.

It's always good to see the motor peeing strong after sitting all winter:D

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 11:00 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The water was cold, but there were a few (damn few) big fish coming up to spawn early.

Doug (Capt. John's mate) Captain John, and I found a few. The bait wasn't hear during preseason (Fishfinder #1) but by opening day, it was getting better (Fishfinder #2):D

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 11:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The first week of the trophy season was slower than normal because of the cold water and late arrival of the big fish, but some were found (if you looked hard enough)
My opening day was marked by getting run over by a Grady White, But Bill jumped on getting me a new motor cowling and did the fiberglass work pronto. I think I was out of the water for about four days:D

It's good to know the owner/manufacturer of your boat:) Thanks Bill Judge!!

Lou, Mike, and I had some good days:D

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 11:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I hate to bring back bad memories, but remember how bad the winter jellies were:eek:
I was running all tandems and singles off my boards, but the snot would get caught up right where the leader meets the lure:mad:

Capt. Charlie Schneider suggested running small umbrellas off the board lines to "catch" the snot at the umbrella and keep the lure clean longer:)

I switched over to all umbrellas, and it worked like a charm.

We had a group of Judge owners working in cooperation down off of Deale this spring, and it increased the hookups dramatically. Bruce (Hook 'Em), Jeff (Justified), Lolo (Gypsey Danger), Alex (Overcooked), Mark (Mlag), Jason (Rockin Robin) and I (5th Tuition), even let prior Judge owner Tawn (Lucky Strike); join in on the action:D

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 11:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Trophy season saw us with the slot limit:mad: Many of my fish went back to spawn (75%); so I guess it was a good thing after all:D

But everyone was looking forward to the end of trophy season when we could keep two fish:)

I know a couple of Navy helicopter pilots flying out of Pax. River who wanted to catch some fish, so I got them out before I left Tawn's slip in Deale.
Tawn was gracious enough to let me use his slip for his 27 Judge because he was spending all his time on his new Markley; making money:D

Then; I can't forget my sailboat trip to Martha's Vinyard with my pastor in Early June:eek:

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 11:52 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I moved my boat back to my home slip (Bodkin Creek) and was pleasantly surprised to find all the fish moved north with me:D Fishing above the bridge was off the hook.

Jeff (Justified) turned me on to red hoses last year, and they were hungry for the again this year.

Below are some random shots of the type of fish we were catching up north.
I even got Mark (Mlag) to go with me to pick off a few upper bay fish. He forgot he was on my Judge, and kept taking the wheel:eek:

Fishing was so good, Capt. John asked me to mate for him on an upper bay trip to show him the ropes up north. Obviously, we had a good day!

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 12:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The 4th of July came to the Chesapeake and we took the grandchildren out for some swimming and fishing.

My daughter in law had to do a cannon ball off the boat, so of course I needed to do the same:D It's a good thing there is a lot of water in the bay:eek:

Not many spot around, so swimming was a good alternative.

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 12:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Bluefish were late (like everything else in the bay) but fishing was still good. We got a couple of trips off of Captain Johns boat (Patent Pending), and fishing stayed good above the bridge on mine:D

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 12:18 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Late August and early fall were still hot for big bluefish, rockfish, and to my surprise Red Drum.

I was fishing off of Jason's 27 (Rockin Robin) for spanish mackerel at 8mph when this monster hit one of Capt. John's spreader bars with his spoon attached.

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 12:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Fall officially arrived and the fish got smaller up north, but still possible to get a limit of rock with only about a mile or two from the dock:D
Mike (garlein) holds up some of the smaller rock.

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 12:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Late November saw the first CBA tournament. Our plan was to fish north of the bridge so we could get back by 1pm (check in time); but when we left Bodkin Creek, the bay was flat and we scooted below the bridge to an area where Jason was having success for a couple of weeks:D

Sure enough, there was our competition (Jason) and his crew working the same water. Jason called and said he was having success in 60 ft of water and we might want to try that area.

This is when you know you have good fishing buddies:eek: We fished within sight of Rockin Robin all morning, and with 15 minutes left to fish, a board rod popped with authority and we added a 30 inch fish to the cooler to keep the other mid 20 fish company:)

Our hope was that this fish would at least give us a respectable finish. Little did we know it would beat out Jason's 29 incher for bragging rights among both CBA's and Judge owners:eek::eek:

Mike (Mako Mike) set up a great event with everyone pitching in food and beer. Jason's wife supplied the fish taco's which went quickly.

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 12:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Right after the CBA tourney, I pulled the boat and put her on the trailer for the trips south to PLO. Last year was good down there and this year did not disappoint.

Mako Mike had never fished this area before, so we buddy boated down south together.

Fishing was too fast and furious for taking a lot of photo's, but these are just a few results.

I am a troller at heart, so I put my fish in the box early by trolling; then switched over to jigging for fun. Here's Jason with an example of some of the fish we caught jigging (I think this is a 31 inch fish):)

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well; that brings us to the last day of 2015. It was too pretty not to go out and drop the spread and try to catch a few fish for the freezer. It's going to be a long winter, but if the weather stays warm, Greg will have some company on his OC trips.

We picked up 5 nice fish in the mid to upper 20 off Bloody Point to end the season.

Bruce and Alan took the last ride with me and reeled in all the fish:eek::eek:

I guess I need to get on Greg's boat to actually touch a rod again:D

To everyone I fished with this year, thanks.

And yes, Mike (Mako Mike), I left a few for next year:D:D

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all my fishing friends.
5th (Marty)

Mako mike 12-22-2015 12:58 PM

You done, can I post now?

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mako mike (Post 20959)
You done, can I post now?

Sure; my fingers are bloody:eek:
5th

Mako mike 12-22-2015 01:26 PM

Looks and sounds like you had a very successful year. The FEW trips we did make together were a lot of fun and very productive. Thank you again helping me with my leaning curve in the bay after returning from several years on the offshore scene. You helped make my season very productive and again thanks for leaving a couple out there for everyone else. This past season has been awesome and have met some of the friendliest people here that will go out of their way to make sure your day is productive, for that I would like to thank everyone!

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mako mike (Post 20961)
Looks and sounds like you had a very successful year. The FEW trips we did make together were a lot of fun and very productive. Thank you again helping me with my leaning curve in the bay after returning from several years on the offshore scene. You helped make my season very productive and again thanks for leaving a couple out there for everyone else. This past season has been awesome and have met some of the friendliest people here that will go out of their way to make sure your day is productive, for that I would like to thank everyone!

And Just think how good next year will be now that you have Jeff's phone number:D
5th

Chessie27 12-22-2015 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 20962)
And Just think how good next year will be now that you have Jeff's phone number:D
5th

That won't get you much, I run the pointy end of the boat; Margaret runs the square end & THATS the number you need!!! :D

Great year in review Marty. Mine was similar- mostly worked, fished occasionally, drank like a fish whenever the situation allowed. :D And of course spent quality time with some quality people (even if they live on the wrong side of the Bay :p )

Here's to next year!!! 🍸🍸🍸🍸

Mako mike 12-22-2015 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chessie27 (Post 20964)
That won't get you much, I run the pointy end of the boat; Margaret runs the square end & THATS the number you need!!! :D

Great year in review Marty. Mine was similar- mostly worked, fished occasionally, drank like a fish whenever the situation allowed. :D And of course spent quality time with some quality people (even if they live on the wrong side of the Bay :p )

Here's to next year!!! 🍸🍸🍸🍸

No problem Jeff , I usually run the pointed end myself. If I reeled in two fish all season while trolling I would be surprised! Glad I have your contact number just in case we are both on cocktail hour on a head on situation! Just kidding, rarley when operating a vessel with crew is that the case. Worked too damn hard for 100 ton masters with endorsements to drink it away! Damn guys, I can hardly wait to get back out there and catch em up with
You guys. The way winter is going and Marty and myself both in indoor storage it's no problem to get together after the holidays on one of these 65-70 degree days we have been having and wet a line! God I love global warming, I just hope we don't pay for it in March and April. Otherwise I'll be heading back
Home to the keys as much as possible this winter. Actually taking Jay down in May while your all chasing Spring stripers for the tarpon run. Anyone interested we have room second week in May!

5th Tuition 12-22-2015 08:42 PM

Oh Hell No, I know how you get free drinks:eek:

Wait till I call Jay:D
5th

garlien 12-22-2015 11:28 PM

Marty,

What an amazing story and a great year...

If I have the time (doubt it) I will try to do the same...

Each year I take collection of photos like you shared and send them to Snapfish or a similar place and have a photo book of the year on the water done...

Its a great way to keep the memories alive...

Hey, we still have catch and release fishing...and the weather is good...I may have to go out and hit a few hot spots...

Mike