CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Getting ready for Spring (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=2080)

Worthlessnut 12-30-2012 03:53 PM

Getting ready for Spring

1 Attachment(s)
A friend and I made some planner boards today, what better way to spend a cold windy Sunday. The primary plans I used were from Capt Frank Tuma but after reading several forums & brainstorming here is one of the two sets we made. I really appreciate everyone posting their ideas and plans. The one thing I am trying out is separating the blades with PCV over the threaded rod. This will allow me ability to take the planers apart by removing only three nuts. I don't have a huge boat so I was trying to conserve some space. Once I get some paint and flags, these puppies will be ready to swim.

Brad

5th Tuition 12-30-2012 04:06 PM

They certainly look nice. Let us know how they work next spring. My concern would be if the pvc gets too cold, it might get brittle. If it breaks while you have lines on them, you will have a mess.
But hey, nothing gets improved if you don't try something new.

Welcome to the board:)
5th (Marty)

5th Tuition 12-30-2012 04:09 PM

OOPS; maybe I read that wrong. Do you still have the threaded bar inside the PVC? I thought you ONLY had PVC between the boards.

5th

Worthlessnut 12-30-2012 04:12 PM

Ya I am still using the threaded rod, the PVC is only setting the spacing. It cost less the 4 bucks, so I am not out much if it doesn't work. The feel real solid so i am hopeful.

Skip 12-30-2012 04:48 PM

Only down side that might hurt you is some times the nuts on coarse thread will back off.

I learned this hard way and now use nylon insert ( air craft ) nuts on outside and the blue Loc Tite on inner nuts.

I've seen some guys have fold down boards that use flat aluminum bar and wing nuts but do not know how their boards pull.

I remember one guy selling fold down PVC boards but they did not run well.

Worthlessnut 12-30-2012 05:21 PM

Thanks Skip. The other set we made have the nylanuts on them. I have a knack catching sharp edges on everything possible. Based on your input I will be buying some lock nut when I make my next parts run to finish these up.

Brad

Spot77 12-30-2012 07:20 PM

Has anyone tried making boards out of some of the new composoye materials?

I've found enough of it washed up on the beaches to think that it might float as well as wood.

garlien 12-30-2012 08:57 PM

uh oh scott are you thinking of making us a pair of small boards so that we can light tackle rattle troll with planers ? That would be an amazing setup !

Worthlessnut 12-30-2012 09:07 PM

I looked at star board and I personally don't think it floats all the well and that stuff is heavy.

Brad

Spot77 12-31-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worthlessnut (Post 14714)
I looked at star board and I personally don't think it floats all the well and that stuff is heavy.

Brad

Starboard is expensive, but I can always get decent sized scraps of other composite materials. Figured it might hold up better than wood in the saltwater. But the composite materials are typically harder to paint.