CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Bill Bateman’s 7:00pm 11-10-09 C&R talk (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=100)

Fish Nut 11-10-2009 09:22 AM

Bill Bateman’s 7:00pm 11-10-09 C&R talk

Gentlemen, If anyone is interested, a group fisherman will be gathering tonight at Bill Bateman’s in Severna Park at 7:00pm 11-10-09. We will be discussing the current debate on C&R fishing in the spring. David Sikorski from the CCA will be there and will hopefully give a recap of the debate from the beginning to the present. We will review thecurrent recommendation on the table at DNR and what we (recreational anglers) would like to see in the future to support the fishery in a practical manner. This is a friendly gathering to talk about the current debate have a beer or two and a few chicken wings. If your interested in talking with Dave Sikorski, or just hanging out and listing to some fishery scuttlebutt please come and join us.

We will gather in the private side room in the back of Bateman

Bill Bateman’s
566 Gov. Ritchie Highway
Severna Park MD 21146
PH 410-315-7960
FAX: 410-315-7961

B-Faithful 11-11-2009 09:09 AM

I was very impressed by Dave and his openness and willingness to understand the needs and desires of all recreational fisherman! :)

drichitt 11-11-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 1000)
I was very impressed by Dave and his openness and willingness to understand the needs and desires of all recreational fisherman! :)

I agree Greg. I was impressed by Dave, but not by the recent actions of CCA. They took a stance about day limitations in the PSCR debate, but effectively offered to kill that C&R fishery by agreeing to a one rod per angler restriction. I am further incensed by the CCA's lack of interest in what their membership felt about the topic. Per Dave, they did NOTHING to poll their membership about the subject before issuing their "non-offending to DNR" press release. Sorry, but I feel let down by an organization that I thought was in favor of promoting C&R. But to Dave's credit, he acknowledged they had dropped the ball and recognizes some areas that need improvement. For me, I currently do not plan renew my membership in CCA ..Don

B-Faithful 11-11-2009 02:52 PM

I have to say that I am still very upset by their reasoning to why they supported the CBF proposal (dnr appeasement) and then failure to endorse the MSSA position. I do give Dave credit for letting us speak to him about it and have hopes that there can be a more united front for Marylands recreational anglers in the future (even though it was better than in the past over this issue). I am actually considering joining in order to better influence their positions. We will see how the rest of this unfolds and how they respond.

Again, I greatly appreciated Dave putting himself out there to be challenged! I have a lot of respect for him.

PM me you number Don! or call me at 410.533.1435. I dont have you in my phone.

Thanks

Fish Nut 11-11-2009 03:34 PM

I was extremely glad Dave took time to meet with us. I was impressed with everyone’s participation and Dave’s response. I also wish the CCA had the patients to wait for the MSSA position before they compromised with the CBF proposal. It would have been nice if CCA poled the membership like the MSSA did. However, If Dave is an example of the future CCA, I am definitely leaning toward a membership with the CCA. Dave seemed like a person who can think for himself and make determination between right and wrong.

It was a great gathering. A lot more people showed than I thought.
I would like to thank everyone for showing up. :cool:

Baldzilla 11-11-2009 04:00 PM

Rob, wish I could have made it but had the kids alone last night so I figured noone would want them stealing our beer...glad you had a good meeting!

Shawn Kimbro 11-11-2009 10:36 PM

Here's my take on it. I'm a member of the CCA, also the MSSA, and the CBF. I don't really agree with any of the three organizations completely on every subject, but I agree with every organization on most subjects. One thing's for sure, you can make a hell of a lot more difference from the inside than out. I can pick up the phone right now and call the decision makers of either organization and I know they'll at least listen to my opinions.

As Dave said last night, he was on the outside looking in at the decisions only a few months ago. I bet that after meeting him, nobody has any doubt that he's on the ball with this stuff. I've been really impressed at how almost all of you guys in this thread, on this list, etc. have had the guts to take a stand on this issue. It just might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of in my 45 years of fishing. I think we're seeing a lot of tomorrows leaders in recreational fishing stepping up to the plate. In my opinion we're all better off if we get in and get involved.

Dave Sikorski 11-12-2009 08:54 AM

Thank you for the kind words, and for giving me a hard time:p.

It was good to meet everyone and put some faces to names.

I hope to see some folks at the scoping meeting on Monday @ 6pm at the Church next to the Tawes building. The SFAC meeting will take place after the scoping meeting.

-D

B-Faithful 11-12-2009 09:12 AM

I mostly wish the CCA representative would stop hiding behind a screen name :D

Whoever he is, I will be watching to see if he works to foster sustainable-types of fishing for all fisherman, including trollers ;)