CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   Fishing Reports (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   No Big Debris :) (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=3570)

5th Tuition 10-04-2018 06:23 PM

No Big Debris :)

Went out today for a "scouting trip" looking for debris. I'm glad to report that I didn't see anything that looked dangerous. Some small stuff in our creek, but once in the bay proper, hardly saw anything.
We did have an incoming tide (helps) and whenever I got into a "tideline", I quickly got out of it. Dark brown bubbles are holding sticks:mad:

Ran from Bodkin Creek down to Hacketts. I texted my buddies where I was, and got a phone call from Mark (Mlag) who was down that way as well. He had birds, breaking fish, in deeper water. We followed the birds (didn't stay in one place long) and jigged some smaller fish. Some were barely legal, but they went back. I personally think the smaller fish are more aggressive, and get to my bkd before the larger fish mixed in. Not sure if this is actually happening, but it seems that way with me, not that I'm a good jigger anyway:eek:

Soooo, you know me, I couldn't resist throwing two umbrellas over and trolling:D

Within the first 30 seconds, I had a fat pretty 22-23 inch fish. As a was unhooking the fish, the other rod went down hard. A 28 inch beautiful fish came over the gunnel. With two keepers on the deck, I grabbed my 5 gallon bucket and put them in with some sea water. Mark was trying to get a photo of me reeling in the last fish, but the rods were only out 60 ft:) I was too fast for him, but he did get a pic of the fish, after it was caught (see below). Mark had some extra ice, so he tossed me a small bag (just what I needed).

My scouting trip turned into a great dinner:eek::eek:

Mark jigged up several nice fish, my buddy Phil was out in his boat, and got his 6 fish; so looks like a decent pattern may be forming.
5th

5th Tuition 10-04-2018 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of my fish (dinner); thanks Mark.

Mako mike 10-05-2018 07:13 AM

Jigging?? WTH got into you?

5th Tuition 10-05-2018 08:06 AM

When the screen "lights up" to the point that I start thinking, "Hey. I can jig these", thats when I break out the Jigging Rods:D

The problem, like last year, was they were moving so quickly that you only got to jig on them a few times before they were 40 yards away and posing up somewhere else.

Time to break out the trolling gear and "follow" them:)
5th

Chessie27 10-07-2018 08:44 AM

I help a buddy bring his “new” Parker home yesterday from Middle River. Winds were out of the NE so it had a lot of the debris pushed over to the western shore. As Marty said, the tidelines were thickest. There was a decent amount of stuff floating around; most of which was small. Did see a few long sticks floating on top and a few things that looked like they could have been a vertical log bobbing. Lots of grass clumps too. I would still use caution running in the upper bay if I were you but it can be done. Water still muddy up there too.

Nice job catching dinner Marty!!

Mako mike 10-08-2018 07:19 AM

You think it’s bad on the bay! Returning from the OBX the York, Rappahanok and Potomac rivers are a mess. The Potomac at the 301 Nice bridge looked almost impassable! Sorry no pictures as I was being a responsible driver for a change!