CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   Fishing Reports (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Great End To The Fall Trophy Season! 12/15/12 (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=2071)

Breakaway 12-15-2012 11:02 PM

Great End To The Fall Trophy Season! 12/15/12

2 Attachment(s)
Decent reports from around HS on Friday, so our intention was to leave St. Jeromes Creek very early today and make a b-line north to HS in an attempt to beat the crowds. Our plans changed as we passed Point No Point lighthouse and we started marking bait. Wanted to keep going, but the marks looked so good we stopped just south of 72A and set lines.

We caught one fish, but then the marks were gone and about an hour passed with no action. We looked north and saw boats around HS and just as we were making a turn to head in that direction, we noticed about 2 dozen gannets diving about 1/4 mile from us. By the time we reached the gannets they had stopped diving but were still sitting on the water. Obviously the fish were still there because we had 4 lines go down at once. I called 2 friends that were fishing south of us and they headed in our direction. Obviously my 2 friends called there 2 friends who called there 2 friends......:eek: Soon there was about 15 boats in the area, but everyone worked well together.

The next few hours were kind of a blur, but we ended up with 21 bites and 17 nice fish landed. We kept our 2 man limit and carefully released the rest. No real monsters today, but a nice grade of fish. Had 3 over 40" and a couple others very close to 40".

5th Tuition 12-16-2012 12:35 AM

Wow; more than one gannet diving in the same place; that's something I haven't seen all fall:mad:.

Good job,
5th (Marty)

Chessie27 12-16-2012 09:20 AM

Sounds like you had an awesome day, congrats!!!!

B-Faithful 12-16-2012 10:03 AM

Nice work Jeff!! Glad you found a hot bite!

I will fish over the VA line between Christmas and New Years.

drichitt 12-16-2012 10:13 AM

Hot damn Jeff....nice going

one fish 12-16-2012 10:20 AM

wow. wtg. congrats:)

Spot77 12-16-2012 10:56 AM

Right place, right time.....makes a crapload of difference, huh?

Been a terrible year for seeing birds. Last year kind of sucked too.

Nice job with all those bites....must have been a blast.

Breakaway 12-16-2012 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 14623)
Wow; more than one gannet diving in the same place; that's something I haven't seen all fall:mad:.

Good job,
5th (Marty)

Marty, up until yesterday that was my experience as well. A random bird here or there, but nothing to get excited about. Yesterday we saw numerous birds diving a couple of times throughout the day. Looked through the binoculars at one point and saw an awesome bird show a couple of miles away. Must have been 50-75 birds actively bombing the water. Truly was an amazing sight....

Here is a picture of the birds we trolled through. Right place, right time for sure....

seahuntr 12-16-2012 01:00 PM

Sounds like it was a blur of good times - CONGRATS!!