CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Sad Sad Day.... Rest in Peace My Friend (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1775)

Blakesdad 03-26-2012 06:32 PM

Sad Sad Day.... Rest in Peace My Friend

2 Attachment(s)
Gentlemen, Captain George Prenant passed away last evening with his family by his side. Funeral arrangements are still being made as of this post.

I will openly thank Brandon White for creating Tidalfish,and allowing George and I to become good friends. For about a two year span, we communicated damn near every morning around 4:00 AM. I was just getting into the Bay fishing and once I gained his trust, he openly shared his decades of experience on the water with me.

I've fished with him many many times. Some paid trips, some freebies, hell I was his emergency mate for two trips. Six and half hours of pure hell. He said right, I went left. He said deep, I went shallow... So god damn funny. We did much much better the next day.....:rolleyes: But we both had this wonderful relationship.

You either loved George, or you hated him. I loved the man. His career in the Marines, life as a mechanic in Georgetown, and ultimately trolling our beautiful resource, The Chesapeake..

I do hope if you knew the man and how much he loved our fishery, you will make time to pay your respects.

I'll post as soon as I know the times..

Blakesdad 03-26-2012 06:34 PM

I really thought, I actually know I have many more pictures.. Just have to find them....

Bend-Lure 03-26-2012 07:02 PM

Capt George was one of the first speakers I lined up when the DC Metro MSSA chapter was getting off the ground. We will all miss him. Quite a character.

Spot77 03-26-2012 07:14 PM

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. He sounds like someone I would have really liked.

As we get older, we inherit the status of those that have left us. I hope that when my day comes, I will have made good enough impressions upon people that they will memorialize me as we do our mentors and older friends. I want to be the old sea salt that helped kids learn to love fishing and all of our natural resources; the guy that shared information and was respected by those around him. I'll work harder to be that kind of person.

I believe that's two great friends of the fishing community that we've lost this year already. :(

5th Tuition 03-27-2012 10:15 AM

Many of us have paid our respects on TF. Capt George was quite a character. I was fortunate enough to meet him one day at Happy Harbor while eating lunch. I went over and introduced myself. We talked about the bay and fishing for a few minutes. His wife, Miss Ruby, was there and I didn't want to keep him too long; but I got the impression that this wasn't the first time her lunch had been interupted with talk of the bay:D.
It was Marines like him that came back from the war and built this great country for me to grow up in. RIP, Captain George.
5th (Marty)

oldfart 03-28-2012 02:32 PM

There will be a service March 31st at the Cedar Grove Church 5965 Deale-Churchton Rd. Deale, Md 20751 at 2:00pm. After the service there will be a celebration of life at the Moose lodge in Shady Side, Md.

Skip 03-28-2012 03:10 PM

I love the first photo - one on the left.

You should have an 8x10 made and send it to Capt. George's wife.

That photo really captured some thing special. I remember seeing it a while back on TF.

crabby and son 03-29-2012 06:48 AM

It is very sad to think Capt George is gone. I have sat with George and Ruby at many crab feasts and enjoyed hours of conversation. A wonderful couple that has endured over 50 years of marriage. I have fished with George and realized that he has forgotten more than most of us know about the bay. He IS the "Old Man of the Sea." I am blessed to have known him and I hope he is laid to rest with his Captain's License as he requested................Gary

Blakesdad 03-29-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 13170)
I love the first photo - one on the left.

You should have an 8x10 made and send it to Capt. George's wife.

That photo really captured some thing special. I remember seeing it a while back on TF.

Skip thats actually Hensleys boy. God, six seven years ago. George took Jimmy and I and our kids out for a nice afternoon. Many memories, Jimmy for one reason or another stood on the transom to cast to breaking fish, George, not missing a beat, Get the hell off of there !!!! Jimmy was stunned. George told him he was to old to swim if Jimmy fell over.. The boat busted into laughs...

Blakesdad 03-29-2012 12:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple more pics still can't find a set. Damn it..