CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Don't forget to register with the Feds..... (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=340)

Stinkbait 01-01-2010 11:36 AM

Don't forget to register with the Feds.....

I just registered, it was rather painless. It only takes about 5 minutes.

I did it online. They give you a temporary card to print out that you have to keep (or just write down your registration #) until they mail you your waterproof one (they say within 30 days). I also wrote the # on the bottom of my Fishing License in case I loose my card.

Go to www.countmyfish.noaa.gov if'n you wanna do it.

Happy New Year y'all.

Jim

hippie 01-01-2010 11:48 AM

I was going to hold off registering as long as possible because I don't want the Feds to have info on me. However, now that I thought about it, they already have files so thick on everyone it doesn't really matter. I guess I'll go ahead and register, reluctantly. Bob

Andrew886 01-01-2010 02:39 PM

Thanks Jim...I just did it as well and it was rather painless

Capt. Wayne Morgan 01-01-2010 10:59 PM

Thanks Jim. Although I am a Charter Captain and already report fish caught on charter trips, all my trips aren't charters so therefore I need to report my recreational fish too, I guess.

crabby and son 01-01-2010 11:00 PM

Thanks Jim. Got er done.............Gary

goinsfishin 01-02-2010 09:07 AM

Against all my misgivings about the Big-Brotherization of America.......does the book 1984 come to mind?.......I've also registered......under protest.

Capt. Wayne......good to see you here on this board.

5th Tuition 01-02-2010 03:39 PM

Do you have to wait until you buy your fishing liscense; or can you register before? 5th (Marty)

heimdall 01-02-2010 04:17 PM

I must admit that I have mixed feelings on this.

On the one hand it should produce more truthful data to manage fisheries with.

On the other hand it is a set up for lotteries and catch shares for recreational fishermen. The catch shares part would mean, the rich will fish and the average guy will play golf.

B-Faithful 01-02-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heimdall (Post 3295)
I must admit that I have mixed feelings on this.

On the one hand it should produce more truthful data to manage fisheries with.

On the other hand it is a set up for lotteries and catch shares for recreational fishermen. The catch shares part would mean, the rich will fish and the average guy will play golf.

Agreed. I am not sure how to fully take this. I understand the need for the collection of better data. However I fear catch shares and believe it will greatly weaken recreational fishing politically and economically as it may deter many from participating if they make only a couple of trips a year.

drichitt 01-02-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 3297)
Agreed. I am not sure how to fully take this. I understand the need for the collection of better data. However I fear catch shares and believe it will greatly weaken recreational fishing politically and economically as it may deter many from participating if they make only a couple of trips a year.

But won't it be better than the data being collected by MRFSS?