CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Big Shads? (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=2168)

shoreboy6 04-03-2013 08:24 AM

Big Shads?

Anyone know a good source for 12-15" shad bodies in colors other than solid white or solid chartruese?

B-Faithful 04-03-2013 09:43 AM

Do you see much of difference in catching over the 9"ers. I never noticed a difference between the 9's and 12's and the 12's cost so much more and the tails seem to break of more easily. Curious.

Blakesdad 04-03-2013 11:38 AM

Let me try to save ya all some serious cash.

Back in my " trolling days" and or when I mated for my beloved friend Capt George, when we trolled umbrellas we never used shad bodies. George showed me to use 2" vinyl blinds... I know what your thinking already... But we cut blinds into 9" to 12" long strips, punched a hole in one end, added a grommet and hooked em to the umbrella.. Piece of cake and they always worked well.

You can certainly cut them longer if you desire..

I also painted many of them different colors for contrast..

Looks a little ghetto, I'll give you that, but works like a charm:D

bhl 04-03-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blakesdad (Post 15357)
Let me try to save ya all some serious cash.

Back in my " trolling days" and or when I mated for my beloved friend Capt George, when we trolled umbrellas we never used shad bodies. George showed me to use 2" vinyl blinds... I know what your thinking already... But we cut blinds into 9" to 12" long strips, punched a hole in one end, added a grommet and hooked em to the umbrella.. Piece of cake and they always worked well.

You can certainly cut them longer if you desire..

I also painted many of them different colors for contrast..

Looks a little ghetto, I'll give you that, but works like a charm:D

Were you using them for the bait hook or for the teasers?

bhl

shoreboy6 04-03-2013 12:52 PM

Thats an impressive idea for the blinds and I'm sure they work well as teasers.

BF - I don't know if the 12"+ baits work better than the 9s but I have some transom boat rod setups I like for spring and fall. I'm talking deep, BIG baits. I have never used anything bigger than the 9" bodies on my board rods. I know some captains who specifically use the 12"+ baits in the spring everywhere in their spread with good success. I'm not investing that much time and money to switch over my whole spread though.......

Spot77 04-03-2013 01:02 PM

Hard to find locally. Heck they're even hard to find online.

This place has a few different colors available, but they're almost $8.00 each. :eek:

http://www.krackenfishing.com.au/category-s/1840.htm

Breakaway 04-03-2013 04:40 PM

I picked up some 12" shad bodies from Ron Crabbe at the Solomons show a couple weeks ago, 2 for $6. He had a website at one time, but I can't get it to come up.....www.striperfishingtackle.com

His price for 6" and 9" shads are very good also BTW....

Blakesdad 04-03-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhl (Post 15358)
Were you using them for the bait hook or for the teasers?

bhl

Just Teasers.

It sounds ridiculous, but you can;t beat the price and they really do work.

Tawn 04-03-2013 06:52 PM

I buy my 12" shad at All Tackle in Annapolis.

My deep, deep rods are quite a contraption. I run them off the forward most rod holders, the ones that stick straight out the side with the rods parallel to the water - a lot of the local charter guys refer to them as the "Hip Rods".

The main line to a 16oz trolling sinker with a three-way swivel rigged off the other end of the sinker.

Off the one eye of the three-way is a 12' leader of 130lbs mono to a 24" umbrella with a 8oz parachute rigged as the bait.

Off the other eye of the three-way is a 6' piece 130lbs mono to a 28oz mojo with a 12" shad on it.

It hangs almost straight down...I put it out 30-40' and boy, howdy when a fish hits that thing ...hang on! Almost like a dumby line, except on a heavy rod!

Chessie27 04-03-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawn (Post 15363)
I buy my 12" shad at All Tackle in Annapolis.

My deep, deep rods are quite a contraption. I run them off the forward most rod holders, the ones that stick straight out the side with the rods parallel to the water - a lot of the local charter guys refer to them as the "Hip Rods".

The main line to a 16oz trolling sinker with a three-way swivel rigged off the other end of the sinker.

Off the one eye of the three-way is a 12' leader of 130lbs mono to a 24" umbrella with a 8oz parachute rigged as the bait.

Off the other eye of the three-way is a 6' piece 130lbs mono to a 28oz mojo with a 12" shad on it.

It hangs almost straight down...I put it out 30-40' and boy, howdy when a fish hits that thing ...hang on! Almost like a dumby line, except on a heavy rod!

Tawn- You must spend a lot of time at the gym during the off-season :eek: