CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Look Out !!! (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1199)

5th Tuition 02-05-2011 05:15 PM

Look Out !!!

I met Steve F at the Tri State flea market and I am having him build me a jigging rod:eek:.

After breaking my $20 rod with Walleye Pete last week, I figured I should have at least one rod I can take on somebodies boat without getting laughed at:D.

Then I went over to Lenney Rudow's table and bought his "Guide to Modern Jigging":).

By the time the season comes in, I should be an expert, right? Now all I have to do is shadow guy's like Shawn and Jamie to find their "spots".

It's not in Lenny's book, but he was telling me how to practice at home. He suggested I get up on the roof of my house and drop a jig/BKD down into a 50 gallon drum full of water to get the "feel" of the jig bumping bottom. I live in a ranch style home so the distance is only about 15 feet to the ground. Once I master this distance, you will find me over at Baldzilla's two story colonial getting used to a depth of 35 feet:eek:.
I can hardly wait for the snow to melt off the roof:p.

See you all on the water soon.
5th (Marty)

Skip 02-05-2011 06:28 PM

Grasshopper - real way to learn is being blind folded , hung upside down by your feet while being sprayed with a garden hose :D:D

Congrats on the Steve F custom rod - fish are in serious trouble now.

crabby and son 02-05-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 9738)
I met Steve F at the Tri State flea market and I am having him build me a jigging rod:eek:.

After breaking my $20 rod with Walleye Pete last week, I figured I should have at least one rod I can take on somebodies boat without getting laughed at:D.

Then I went over to Lenney Rudow's table and bought his "Guide to Modern Jigging":).

By the time the season comes in, I should be an expert, right? Now all I have to do is shadow guy's like Shawn and Jamie to find their "spots".

It's not in Lenny's book, but he was telling me how to practice at home. He suggested I get up on the roof of my house and drop a jig/BKD down into a 50 gallon drum full of water to get the "feel" of the jig bumping bottom. I live in a ranch style home so the distance is only about 15 feet to the ground. Once I master this distance, you will find me over at Baldzilla's two story colonial getting used to a depth of 35 feet:eek:.
I can hardly wait for the snow to melt off the roof:p.

See you all on the water soon.
5th (Marty)

What name did you get put on it?:eek: You have gone over the edge but at least you have water to land in:D.............Gary

5th Tuition 02-05-2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabby and son (Post 9742)
What name did you get put on it?:eek: You have gone over the edge but at least you have water to land in:D.............Gary

Too expensive to put a whole name on it, so I just put the initials WTF, after I found out how much the rod cost:D.
5th (Marty)

B-Faithful 02-06-2011 05:24 PM

Marty, pretty soon you will be one of the elite fishermen! :)

5th Tuition 02-06-2011 08:42 PM

I am an elite fisherman, whether trolling/livelinning/or jigging:D.
5th (Marty)

garlien 02-06-2011 09:24 PM

Guess I am goin hear all types of hell when I tell my wife I am going to learn to jig better in the pool....Deep end is just about 11'...If I sit/stand on the diving board, with a cold beer beside me that will give me 13 to 14 feet...

I can hear her screaming now......

Blakesdad 02-06-2011 10:53 PM

Marty, Welcome to the " Dark Side" You'll soon be ready to sell all that trolling nonsense !

Now for the real question..... What kind of reel are your treat Steve's rod with ??

Suggestion one, a 3000 series from Shimano, Stradic FI, and braid it with a pretty red Power Pro...

B-Faithful 02-06-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 9749)
I am an elite fisherman, whether trolling/livelinning/or jigging:D.
5th (Marty)

you do ok chumming too ;):)

5th Tuition 02-07-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blakesdad (Post 9752)
Marty, Welcome to the " Dark Side" You'll soon be ready to sell all that trolling nonsense !

Now for the real question..... What kind of reel are your treat Steve's rod with ??

Suggestion one, a 3000 series from Shimano, Stradic FI, and braid it with a pretty red Power Pro...

I have a $20 Shakespeare reel that works great:D.
When I caught my 43 inch fish (that broke my largemouth bass rod), the fish was taking some drag. Pete asked if my reel had a good drag system, and I told him "for $20 it better have a decent drag". Pete almost fell on the floor laughing.
5th (Marty)

p.s. Went out again today with Pete and and we had another great day. I took one of my livelining rods (since I broke my largemouth bass rod). I was doing great and catching plenty of fish. Pete came over to help release one of my fish and saw my braid and leader. He said "what diameter braid is that"? I said 80 lb power pro:eek:. It's all the braid I own for trolling. I just spooled some on a spinning rod and went fishing. Pete just shakes his head. He said I don't do too bad for a troller:rolleyes:.