CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Anyone Serving Fish for Thanksgiving? (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1518)

Spot77 11-23-2011 12:08 PM

Anyone Serving Fish for Thanksgiving?

We'll be heading to my parents' house per tradition, but this year I'll be taking some fish gumbo made with recently caught Chesepeake Bay Rockfish. :D

I like spicy foods, so my problem will be "toning it down" for others to enjoy and so I don't overwhelm the natural fish flavor.

What's everyone else serving, or being served?

240 LTS 11-23-2011 12:51 PM

Traditional on Thursday with the in-laws then traditional on Sunday with my family.
They'll be nothing fishy about it I'm afraid. :(

Enjoy your bird day everyone!

Southerly 11-23-2011 01:28 PM

i'm on pretty thin ice already w/o mentioning serving fish on turkeyday,... :eek:

Bend-Lure 11-23-2011 01:45 PM

We got a bushel of oysters for Thursday. I'll be doing some on the half, and making some Rockefeller on the grill for apps. Not exactly fish, but close.

Skip 11-23-2011 04:07 PM

I make up a bunch of mini Rockfish cakes - sorta like crab balls for an appetizer.

They are simple to make and frying only takes about 5 minutes.

I stopped to get oysters but the two I sampled were not good quality.

Very thin and watery. I passed on buying 1/2 bushel.

Southerly 11-23-2011 06:00 PM

i read somewhere that a bushel of oysters can stay good for a month out of water???

Spot77 11-23-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bend-Lure (Post 11822)
We got a bushel of oysters for Thursday. I'll be doing some on the half, and making some Rockefeller on the grill for apps. Not exactly fish, but close.

YUM!!!!

Another of my favorite seafood "holiday" dishes is deep fried scallops wrapped in bacon.

Pure heaven my friends!!!

garlien 11-23-2011 11:13 PM

We thought about crabs instead of turkey this year...The wife was all for it...I actually ended up being the sticker for Turkey....Nothing like turkey, mash potatoes, gravy, ham, etc...

Going to try to get some crabs for Saturday and see if I can start a first Saturday after Thanksgiving tradition of steamed crabs...

Southerly 11-24-2011 10:16 AM

nothing like turkey (from a major manufacturer)?

i will differ on this - as a kid, goose was a holiday tradtion. now,the smell/taste of goose with oyster dressing (and oyster stew which i couldn't stand when i was a kid but now love) all brings back memories of family and times long gone. if i had any chance of getting inlaws to go for it, that would be my vote.

i still have it every few years (not on Thanksgiving), but it seems like i'm the only one really enjoying it. all the while enduring complaints of gamey taste,...