CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   crimping or tying parachutes to leaders (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=3168)

Weekend Bender 04-03-2016 11:27 AM

crimping or tying parachutes to leaders

Whats everyone thought on this

Skip 04-03-2016 04:39 PM

I have always tied them. I use 60 lb clear Ande and a 4-5 turn improved clinch knot. I wet knot and pull down slowly until snug - then trim so 1/4 '' tag sticks out.

Never had any trouble with this - but I do retie often at lure after few fish.

Crimps are OK - but you need to watch for chafing inside the loop. It is hard to see and outside will look fine but then big fish hits and loop cuts through. You have to push loop away from eye of lure to inspect it.

Downside to crimps is you'll be less inclined to redo a crimp on choppy day. Spill the crimp box one time - you'll understand 100%.

Tawn 04-03-2016 04:48 PM

When using 80lbs line or heavier I use a knot Dale from the Wild Goose taught me.

Run your line through the eve of the bait, and tie a simple overhand knot in the tag end, now tie another overhand knot - done. The knot in the tag ends keeps it from pulling pulling through. I have NEVER had a rockfish break it at the knot. I would never recommend that for tuna or other big fish but is super fast and easy and works fine for rockfish on heavy line.

I used to crimp all our baits but quit after he showed me this knot.

Weekend Bender 04-04-2016 06:14 PM

Hey Tawn so are we talking about an arbor knot like you use when putting on new line

Fish Nut 04-05-2016 11:25 AM

I Fish offshore and Bay. More Bay lately, I am very comfortable using crimps. I use crimp connections on all of my baits with 80lb leaders for spring Rockfish. It’s crucial to have the correct crimp for line diameter to achieve a proper crimp. I like how the crimp connection allows the bait to swim. However, I have seen no improvement in catch rate over crimped vs knot connection. With knots and crimp connections it is highly recommended that you re do the bait connection after a few fish. It’s Very important to change leaders if you feel any nick or abrasion in the line. I store my baits on the rod during the season and when moving rods in and out of storage it’s very easy for a barb or hook point to snag a leader. I use the P – Line crimp tools and have made many, many ,many connections with it. Nice quality tool. The only time I have lost a fish to failure has been my fault. Not changing a leader when I should have, or being lazy and not inspecting my equipment.
My procedure is to crimp on the bench or at the dock. On the water I use knots since it is quicker.

My three knots are:

Palomar
Uni to uni
Clinch knot

Good luck

Tawn 04-05-2016 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Weekend Bender (Post 21581)
Hey Tawn so are we talking about an arbor knot like you use when putting on new line

Yes. I would have never believed it until Dale showed me. When using it on heavy line, I have never had one fail on a rockfish since switching to it.

Weekend Bender 04-05-2016 06:31 PM

was also thinking about a Bimini twist with leaders and not running any swivels this year on all my single baits anyone doing this seeing if doing away with all the metal on the line help catch more looking for input on what other people are ring leader wise attached to main line

5th Tuition 04-05-2016 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weekend Bender (Post 21586)
was also thinking about a Bimini twist with leaders and not running any swivels this year on all my single baits anyone doing this seeing if doing away with all the metal on the line help catch more looking for input on what other people are ring leader wise attached to main line

Bender, welcome to CBA. I think you are taking it way too seriously. When I think of some of the most successful charter boat captains on the bay, they run metal swivels and large metal umbrellas:eek:

Reducing a small piece of metal (like a swivel) is not going to appreciably increase your catch rate. When I look at these professional captains (or some recreational anglers on this board), I would look at other pieces of the puzzle and try to imitate them. Boat speed, depth of lures, areas fished, and other variables are the way to go to improve your hookup ratio.

There are times when subtle improvements like fluorocarbon leaders and elimination of terminal tackle will improve your chances, but trophy season fishing isn't it:D Unless you jig:)
5th

Rudden83 04-06-2016 10:41 AM

Bender- if running a single bait just tie or crimp directly to it. No swivel needed. I tie all leaders to my baits. I used crimps for a period of time but had a buddy on the boat re-crimp for me one time and used incorrect crimp per pound test.

Do you run out of Selby bay marina?

Weekend Bender 04-06-2016 12:23 PM

Yep sure do