CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Around the Judge shop (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1149)

B-Faithful 12-22-2010 09:51 PM

Around the Judge shop

5 Attachment(s)
I went over to the Judge shop this afternoon and got some shots of what is going on. Bill has a few 27's in process and a couple of 22's. He also has a few boats in for service, repairs and updates. Here are few shots of what is going on..

In the photos are: 37 Oxford in for updates, 34 Express in for updates, 27cc in for service, 27 Chesapeake Short top under construction, 27 Chesapeake standard top under construction and crabber boat in for service, 22cc under contruction and Bill's 22 crabber/light tackle boat in for clean up to go to its new owner .

JigStix 12-23-2010 11:47 PM

Is walleye Petes boat there?

B-Faithful 12-24-2010 10:10 AM

No. Pete's boat isnt there. I think he is bringing it in just after the new year. Harry's boat from http://ontheshoremd.com/ is there though.

reds 12-24-2010 12:09 PM

I was just looking at the 27'.

The specs indicate that it is not supposed to be towed on Maryland's highways without a special permit. Is this part of MSSA's "Don't ask, Don't tell"?

Hmmm.

B-Faithful 12-24-2010 12:10 PM

When I measure my 2009 Chesapeake, it measures just about 8'6" behind the cabin (8'4" at the transom) and the boat doesnt extend past the fenders of the trailer. ;)

5th Tuition 12-24-2010 12:38 PM

I saw that Bill sold his 36' boat. Is he building a new one for himself this winter?
5th (Marty)

reds 12-24-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 9214)
When I measure my 2009 Chesapeake, it measures just about 8'6" behind the cabin (8'4" at the transom) and the boat doesnt extend past the fenders of the trailer. ;)

Oh. I see, So Judge's website is wrong on it's advertising?

B-Faithful 12-24-2010 03:07 PM

Reds, I cannot confirm nor deny whether the Judge site is correct as I cannot measure the beam on the entire hull due to the wheelhouse. I just cannot meaure or see where the beam exceeds 8'6". ;)

Marty, i am not sure what Bill is going to do as of yet. The boat just sold. I am sure he will do something as he is currently boatless since he sold both his 36 Chesapeake and his 22 crabber/light tackle boat. I do know that he had ~$250k invesed in building the 36 and given the market it wouldnt surprise me if he decided to build himself a 27 Chesapeake with some interior changes that would make the boat appeal a little more to the "picnic boat" crowd given the inquiries he has had over the last year or so. We will see.. At least the 36 is gone so I dont have drool and dream about it as much :D

Mikie 12-24-2010 05:20 PM

#8 Today, 03:07 PM
B-Faithful
Senior Member Join Date: Feb 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reds, I cannot confirm nor deny whether the Judge site is correct as I cannot measure the beam on the entire hull due to the wheelhouse. I just cannot meaure or see where the beam exceeds 8'6".

Pretty easy to find out - next time you're there measure across the top of the mold at the widest point. Or, drop a plumb bob down either side of your boat to the ground and measure between the two points. I actually don't think you want to know. DOT or the State Police won't have any trouble figuring it out if they are so inclined.

reeltor 12-24-2010 06:58 PM

Winter is off to a great start:D

MdCrappie 12-24-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 9217)
I just cannot meaure or see where the beam exceeds 8'6". ;)

Ignorance of the law is not a valid excuse. Ideally since the Builders Specs of the vessel indicate you would need a permit to travel the roads in Md you should go to SHA and have them determine whether or not you need a permit.
Then if over the 102" you can pay the $500 yearly fee.......or take your chances, violate the law, and hope to not get caught more than 3 times ($140 each) and you would still be under the $500. Just the cost of doing business idea right? Kinda like the other group of fishermen you seem to always be getting on for "violations".

JigStix 12-24-2010 08:40 PM

"the ultimate trailerable boat"
Time for a new slogan? That delete thread button looking good?

5th Tuition 12-24-2010 11:01 PM

If the judge is 8'10" that would be fine with me. I could always use an extra 4":D. On my 22 wa Angler, it gets pretty tight between the seats when you go below to get rods or tackle.
If I owned a Judge 27 and it was 4" over the max trailerable limit; I'd just have to chance it and trailer it without permit. I'd be a real outlaw in the state of Maryland:eek:.
If I had a Judge, I might even go so far as to put out 7 rods in the spring and leave my NOAA card at home:rolleyes:.

Just got back from Christmas service, feeling all warm and fuzzy; so I would probably keep my NOAA card with me.

Merry Christmas to everyone, I hope you get whatever was on your wish list. My daughter and son in law are in Japan this Christmas, so we skyped with them for about an hour. I hope your family is close and your holidays are blessed.
5th (Marty)

reds 12-25-2010 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 9223)
If the judge is 8'10" that would be fine with me. I could always use an extra 4":D. On my 22 wa Angler, it gets pretty tight between the seats when you go below to get rods or tackle.
If I owned a Judge 27 and it was 4" over the max trailerable limit; I'd just have to chance it and trailer it without permit. I'd be a real outlaw in the state of Maryland:eek:.
If I had a Judge, I might even go so far as to put out 7 rods in the spring and leave my NOAA card at home:rolleyes:.

Just got back from Christmas service, feeling all warm and fuzzy; so I would probably keep my NOAA card with me.

Merry Christmas to everyone, I hope you get whatever was on your wish list. My daughter and son in law are in Japan this Christmas, so we skyped with them for about an hour. I hope your family is close and your holidays are blessed.
5th (Marty)

Yeah. But you see there is a couple of problems that could arise.

One being liability. Insurance companies can wiggle out of their responsibility to insure where a knowing law has been broken. Never mind that you are endangering life and limb of those who are on the same road as you are traveling.

Two being. On certain roads in the state of Maryland the 4" becomes 10" over width and the fine could be thousands. Secondary roads are 8' width not 8'6".

MdCrappie 12-25-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 9223)

5th (Marty)

Yeah the old double standard. Complain about Commercial Waterman fishing oysters on sanctuaries or anchoring nets....(and that's the "cost of doing business" and wrong)...but then go and do something at actually endangers another human beings property and/or life.....yeah that's OK. There are reasons why with the permits you are only allowed to travel during certain times of the day.

What a hypocrite! (This is not just directed at Marty as I'm sure quite a few others here have the same mind set.)

BTW - Here is a link to the SHA Permits. If you actually read the requirements you would probably think about buying any boat over 102" to keep on a trailer.

http://www.sha.maryland.gov/oots/MD_...mit_manual.pdf

B-Faithful 12-25-2010 08:28 AM

I have been known to drive over the speed limit at times too.. I am a real danger on the roads. insurance cannot get out of their responsibilites because of it.

Judges are custom boats. mine has a thinner rubrail that saves ~2" off each side.;) :p

Bill has just declared a big sale.. All 27 Chesapeakes ordered before the Open House will be rebated the cost of a year long tow permit ;) key word for the rebate: "Reds" :D

Merry Christmas all! :)

B-Faithful 12-25-2010 08:38 AM

LOL.. According to the law:

Quote:

Width
measurement is exclusive of safety and energy conservation devices, such as side mirrors,
turn signal lamps, marker lamps, steps and handhold for entry and egress, flexible fender
extensions, mudflaps and spray suppressant devices, and load induced tire bulges; providing
the equipment or devices other than mirrors, does not extend more than three inches on each
side of the vehicle beyond the statutory width limitation.
The rubrail is just over 2" on each side making up a total of 4" or so. Therefore the boat itself has a beam of 8'6" with the rubrail making up the entire Judge stated 8'10" beam. The Rubrail is a "safety bumper" ;) :D 100% legal and I would fight it in court! :)

5th Tuition 12-25-2010 10:44 AM

What could be better than a few snow fluries on Christmas morning:).

Merry Christmas to all.

p.s. I got a small waterproof camera to take lots of photo's this coming fishing season.

5th (Marty)

Fish Nut 12-25-2010 12:34 PM

Merry Christmas to all also.

watch it the camera could be used to document all of those fish you knock in the head with the net !!!:D

MdCrappie 12-25-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 9226)
I have been known to drive over the speed limit at times too.. I am a real danger on the roads. insurance cannot get out of their responsibilites because of it.

contributory negligence
n : (law) behavior by the plaintiff that contributes to the harm
resulting from the defendant's negligence; in common law
any degree of contributory negligence would bar the
plaintiff from collecting damages

I tell you what - wreck your boat speeding down the highway without a permit and see what happens.

Skip 12-25-2010 01:47 PM

If insurance companies could get out of paying claims to all the " idiots " - our premiums would be about $75.00 a year.

YoYo's who get drunk - then drive / crash , speeders when it is icy , tailgaters who cause wrecks , home owners who burn their homes down ( think Thanksgiving fried turkeys ) - list is endless.

Levelwind 12-25-2010 03:31 PM

yeaaa insurance companies cannot get out of paying because people did not follow rules. if everyone followed the rules we would not need insurance. sounds like the judge is trailerable by the law to me though. just do not speed

reds 12-25-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 9227)

The rubrail is just over 2" on each side making up a total of 4" or so. Therefore the boat itself has a beam of 8'6" with the rubrail making up the entire Judge stated 8'10" beam. The Rubrail is a "safety bumper" ;) :D 100% legal and I would fight it in court! :)

Get your act together. It's coming.

B-Faithful 12-25-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reds (Post 9234)
Get your act together. It's coming.

:rolleyes: whatever

Merry Christmas Reds

MdCrappie 12-25-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 9227)

I think you'll lose that one. The "safety equipment" is that which is on the "vehicle", not the load it is carrying.

§ 24-102. Width of vehicles.

(a) How width to be measured.-

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, for purposes of this section, the width of a vehicle includes any load that it carries and shall be exclusive of safety and energy conservation devices, such as side mirrors, turn signal lamps, marker lamps, steps and handholds for entry and egress, flexible fender extensions, mudflaps and spray suppressant devices, and load-induced tire bulges; providing the equipment or device, other than mirrors, does not extend more than 3 inches on each side of the vehicle beyond the statutory width limitation.

That's OK though, until they make the fines/penalties severe enough, it will just be the cost of doing business.......right?

reeltor 12-26-2010 12:12 AM

Spot77 12-26-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 9229)
What could be better than a few snow fluries on Christmas morning:).

Merry Christmas to all.

p.s. I got a small waterproof camera to take lots of photo's this coming fishing season.

5th (Marty)

I got my son a nice video camera that he can use 10' underwater.

And to video the big fish he and B's kid are gonna' catch on that Judge this summer after we launch at the neighborhood ramp.:D

B-Faithful 12-27-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

the width of a vehicle includes any load that it carries
Crappie.. I believe I am 100% legal from speaking to a lawyer buddy of mine on Sunday. Boat is 8'6" with 2" of rubrail or "safety bumper" around it making up the additional 4". You are allowed to 9' total providing that the additional 6" (3" on either side) are made up of a safety device. A bumper should constitute a safety device as they are even required on many vehicles as safety devices. Maybe you went to a better law school than him though :p

Too funny, you guys want to compare a marginally questionable misdemeanor traffic violation with felony theft :D I wonder what the judge will do with these guys who stole well over $10,000 (in commercial dock value, let alone recreational value) in fish: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/p...010/112610.asp Will they be treated like they committed FELONY theft or a misdimeanor traffic crime.. :confused:

BTW, I was kidding about the speeding thing (sort of). I have only ever received one speeding ticket and it was at least 10 years ago ;) Thanks for all the "gotcha" stuff though. It was fun.:rolleyes: :)

MdCrappie 12-27-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 9251)
Maybe you went to a better law school than him though :p

Funny how you never really know who you are talking to on-line huh?

Did your Lawyer friend tell you it was a "marginally questionable misdemeanor traffic violation"?
if he did I'm sure glad I didn't go the THAT Law School

Stripe Tease 12-27-2010 04:51 PM

wow, when is opening day?

"judging" by this thread - a lot of people have been staring at their screens for WAY TOO LONG and need to just go fishing.....
:D

B-Faithful 12-27-2010 05:00 PM

Crappie those words are mine. The guy is a pretty good lawyer who has even served on the Maryland Bar Assn board. Whether the terms I used are incorrect or not, it is ironic that you want to compare a very questionable vehicle law violation with theft of property valued in the tens of thousands... :confused:

I stand behind the fact that I am abiding by the law.. :)

Quote:

If your dimensions exceed any of these limits, a permit is required.

WEIGHT

Single-27,000; Tandem-34,000; Tridum-42,500; WEIGHT: 120,000 to 150,000 interstate only; 30,000 lbs, per axle is the maximum –

No more than 30,000 lbs on any one axle Up to 110,000 lbs gvw;

No more than 27,000 lbs on any one axle From 110,001 lbs gvw and over;

Super Loads. LENGTH: 120’ WIDTH: 16’ HEIGHT: 16’ POLECAR: 14’6.”

WIDTH

The maximum allowable vehicle width in Maryland is 102 inches except when prohibited by posted signs. The width of a vehicle includes any load that it carries and shall be exclusive of safety and energy conservation devices, such as side mirrors, turn signal lamps, marker lamps, steps and handholds for entry and egress. For a detailed description of the Maryland vehicle width law, refer to Title 24, Subsection 102 of the Maryland Vehicle Law.

9’ ft and over requires permit;
Stripe Tease... No kidding :cool:

See you all towing down the highways soon..

MdCrappie 12-27-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 9257)
Whether the terms I used are incorrect or not, it is ironic that you want to compare a very questionable vehicle law violation with theft of property valued in the tens of thousands... :confused:

Not comparing the crime.....just the reasoning behind committing it....."cost of doing business" as you put it! Goose/Gander thing? Pot.....meet kettle.....Of course only the crime the other guy commits is bad.....right? Yeah just as I thought......I'm done here 'cause no matter what ANYBODY says.......you're right and YOU know it.

Skip 12-27-2010 07:53 PM

Heard a few nice Yellow Perch up near Susky.

JigStix 12-27-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 9259)
Heard a few nice Yellow Perch up near Susky.

Spot burner

Stripe Tease 12-28-2010 08:57 AM

Just keep your trailer inside three miles and take your stinger hooks off in march!!

Tow tow tow your boat

Gently down the road

Pay your tag fees to the state

And the cops will never know....

crabby and son 12-28-2010 09:02 AM

WOW........unbelievable!.:rolleyes:............Gar y

Jalopy 12-28-2010 02:23 PM

Hey Greg,

I like the Judge updates. It's kinda like a kid in a candy store. I can't get enough pictures of stuff I will never get, but may want.

AND, being in Sales and Marketing myself. It's not what kind of conversations are happening, it's how many. Good or Bad, your name remains at the top of the forum.

I, like others, don't want stuff rammed down my throat. So, If people don't want to read about a Judge update, don't open the thread.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas and the all the best in a Happy New Year.

John

Hockleyneck 12-28-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stripe Tease (Post 9262)
Tow tow tow your boat

Gently down the road

Pay your tag fees to the state

And the cops will never know....

Good stuff, thanks for the laugh.

Billj 12-28-2010 07:44 PM

This has been very entertaining. Great winter stuff!!;)

JigStix 12-28-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billj (Post 9268)
This has been very entertaining. Great winter stuff!!;)

I'm sure you're quite proud!