CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   How to kill a rock (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1048)

5th Tuition 09-30-2010 07:10 PM

How to kill a rock

It' raining so here's something to ponder.

In anticipation of the return to great fall rockfishing, I have a question.
Often, when I get back to the pier from fishing and open the cooler, there are one or two rock still alive in the box.
Is there a humane way to kill them before I filet them? I was wondering if you could cut down behind the head and sever a spinal cord?
The other option would be to "whack em" with a club, but my neighbors might call "PETA" on me.
How do you accomplish "the act"?
5th (Marty)

p.s.
I realize I could just drag them behind the boat for a few more minutes, as this will surely kill them all dead (there's that dog with a bone thing again):D.

drichitt 09-30-2010 07:50 PM

Marty - My wife spent an exhaustive amount of time on this subject when we were spending time in the Keys fishing. Someone told her that squirting vodka in the mouth of a fish would kill them instantly, so off we went to the local liquor store to buy some inexpensive Russian bonka:rolleyes:. This quick fish cocktail worked great, but they quickly sobered up and started flopping again. She then spoke with all kinds of animal rights people and came to the conclusion that a swift whack in their head was the most humane way. I now have one of those billy clubs on the boat and just before a fish goes in the cooler it gets a hard, swift whack just above the eyes. She is happier now...and this is important as you married guys will attest to. Another great benefit to killing them before they get in the cooler is that my cooler doesn't get all messed up:D; they just lay there nice and quiet like...Don

Mikie 09-30-2010 07:52 PM

Man, if it really bothers you that much - DON'T CATCH THEM to begin with. Otherwise, do what the guy above said - whack 'em with a club.

5th Tuition 09-30-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikie (Post 8482)
Man, if it really bothers you that much - DON'T CATCH THEM to begin with. Otherwise, do what the guy above said - whack 'em with a club.

If I don't get out on the boat for a few days, my sensitive side comes out:D.
5th (Marty)

JigStix 09-30-2010 08:19 PM

Icepick, right through the top of their noggins.
Same as crabs.

Skip 09-30-2010 08:30 PM

I use a small aluminum bat. One good whack and they are stunned / dead.
The thunk / ping sound is cool.

I then put them in the cooler and put ice over them. Each fish gets layered in ice.

I use to put them in alive and put ice on them. Often - they would flop around and end up on top of the ice - not buried under it.

Other way - just use stinger hooks - it kills them everytime :rolleyes::D

5th Tuition 09-30-2010 09:06 PM

I knew if I kept my "mannow crusher" from the 70's it would come back in fashion again:D.
5th (Marty)

garlien 09-30-2010 09:35 PM

Marty,

Not that I keep anything I catch....But why not just take a sharp knife and cut straight through the gill plates ? They should bleed out and die pretty much instantly...

Mike

crabby and son 09-30-2010 10:34 PM

Marty, Where did you leave your MAN CARD?.Do you need a hug:rolleyes:............Gary

5th Tuition 09-30-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabby and son (Post 8492)
Marty, Where did you leave your MAN CARD?.Do you need a hug:rolleyes:............Gary

I'm trying to have multible personalities. I'm an ******* on TF and I'm trying to be more "likeable" on CBA:D.
5th (Marty)