CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   I never knew how dumb I was untill I got an I Phone (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=2119)

bhl 02-06-2013 12:11 PM

I never knew how dumb I was untill I got an I Phone

Is it just me? I feel like a fish out of water. Actually I have the phone and e-mail portion down pretty good it is the APP's that are testing my sanity.
Fooling around with this new phone reminded me of the very first bid that I needed to submit using a "FAX MACHINE" :eek: years ago. It's amazing how far we have progressed with technology, not only in the office but even in our boats.
I guess this old dog still has a few tricks to learn.

bhl (Bruce)

garlien 02-06-2013 12:34 PM

Bruce,

Look on the bright side...You know how to correct spelling on a CB Angler post after you made the post....I am sure, like me most of the folks on the board either A) Don't know how to spell or B) Will never figure out how to edit a post....

Mike

:)

Spot77 02-06-2013 01:18 PM

Marty was new to the iPhone last year, and now I think he wonders how he lived without it.

There are some great tide, weather and radar apps you can use while out on the bay. The camera is pretty decent, and it's easy to text or email pictures from the phone.

The flashlight app is my favorite....being night blind as I am.

I've had mine for about 15 months and LOVE it.

5th Tuition 02-06-2013 07:16 PM

That's right Bruce, if I can learn to appreciate it; you will too:D

I use several of the apps on the charter all the time.

Sea Tow is used the most for tides. It uses your phones gps coordinates to give you tides where you are located. No more "subtract 2 hrs if you are south of Sandy Point":eek:.

I use a "stupid" weather app. ABC 2 Weather gives me radar and forcast.

Navionics is the only app I paid for:)

Ship Finder, is a neat app to see where tugs and ships are, and where they are headed.

Smart Buoys is great for checking oxygen levels, temps, and salt content of where you are going to fish.

I use the "Sky Map app for kids and women on the boat. It gives you sun, moon, stars, and constelation locations in the sky.

Pandora, or your Iphone ITunes are great while cleaning the boat.

The "flashlight" has come in handy a few times.

I would never be able to contact Mike (garlein) if it weren't for the messaging.

Finally; the camera is very good quality for a phone and it's always handy.

Enjoy
5th (Marty)

Skip 02-07-2013 05:29 PM

They'll get my old flip top phone when they pry it from my cold dead hands :D

I know I show my age but those smart phones amaze me. How it can do all it does in such a tiny gadget - unreal.

Then again - I thought cassette tapes were wild after growing up with 8 tracks.

I will say though - smart phones take away a lot of common sense from some.
I think they would honestly be lost with out one.

5th Tuition 02-07-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 15024)
They'll get my old flip top phone when they pry it from my cold dead hands :D

Skip; I felt the same way. My problem was I had difficulty getting batteries for my flip phone. For a couple years, I could buy them from the Verizon store, when they stopped carrying them, I bought them from Battery Wharehouse, when they stopped carrying them, I ordered them offline on the internet. It was then, that I decided to relenquish the flip phone and as my kids said, "Come into the 20th century":D
Now if I could just learn more about my Side Scan. I hate it when I keep turning my head sideways to view my screen:eek:.
5th (Marty)

bhl 02-07-2013 08:53 PM

Update - After an hour on the phone with Verizon, it turned out to be a problem with the way I filled out the billing information for Apple. I am now able to download app's and the first one was the Ship Finder. Very nice.
bhl (Bruce)

Spot77 02-07-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhl (Post 15034)
Update - After an hour on the phone with Verizon, it turned out to be a problem with the way I filled out the billing information for Apple. I am now able to download app's and the first one was the Ship Finder. Very nice.
bhl (Bruce)

Awesome.

You'll get "hooked" like the rest of us. I too fought the onslaught of "smart" phones for a long time.

Can't live without it now.