CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Boat capsizes at rips (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1212)

5th Tuition 02-10-2011 02:06 PM

Boat capsizes at rips

Three lives saved.

Heaven forbid I direct anyone here to the TF board, but this is something for everyone to read.

Be careful out there guys.

5th (Marty)

Maybe someone can cut and paste the TF post?

Skip 02-10-2011 02:36 PM

Any type of east wind there can be nasty.

Way it reads - those three guys are very lucky. Water temp below 40* :eek::eek:.

Rivercat09 02-11-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 9846)
Any type of east wind there can be nasty.

Way it reads - those three guys are very lucky. Water temp below 40* :eek::eek:.

I wonder if they were wearing Arctic Armor or something similar? They are vey lucky indeed!

reds 02-11-2011 12:20 PM

Time for rec boats to have survival gear on board.

In the past it was pushed under the rug, because of so little use of rec boats in the winter. All that has changed.

Mandatory survival gear should be on board from Nov 1 to May 15. for everyone, not just commercial vessels.

reds 02-11-2011 12:32 PM

BTW

About 10 years ago a charter boat had the same thing happen in the same place.

Don't think it won't happen to you because your boat is bigger then 18'.

Mikie 02-11-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reds (Post 9862)
BTW

About 10 years ago a charter boat had the same thing happen in the same place.

Don't think it won't happen to you because your boat is bigger then 18'.

Yeah, I just dropped $1000 last Fall for a life float for cold water months. Makes you feel a whole lot better knowing you might have a chance if you need it. Too many guys taking risks in this weather with small boats. Only takes a couple of minutes in the water this time of the year and it's over.

Hockleyneck 02-11-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikie (Post 9866)
Yeah, I just dropped $1000 last Fall for a life float for cold water months. Makes you feel a whole lot better knowing you might have a chance if you need it. Too many guys taking risks in this weather with small boats. Only takes a couple of minutes in the water this time of the year and it's over.

Are you talking about a raft or a survival suit? I am having my raft recertified right now, but not sure it would helped here if that was me. I keep the raft in the head, but its 90-100 pounds. By the time you get it out and it inflates, you would be wet. I am also putting together a ditch bag which includes a PLB w GPS, hand held VHS and drinking water. The 40 degree water and a long rescue is not good.

Mikie 02-11-2011 04:20 PM

Keep it on the canopy.

reds 02-11-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockleyneck (Post 9868)
Are you talking about a raft or a survival suit? I am having my raft recertified right now, but not sure it would helped here if that was me. I keep the raft in the head, but its 90-100 pounds. By the time you get it out and it inflates, you would be wet. I am also putting together a ditch bag which includes a PLB w GPS, hand held VHS and drinking water. The 40 degree water and a long rescue is not good.

Survival suits are the least that should be mandatory, if you are going to use your boat in the cold water season.

The raft should be mounted on the top of the canopy or cabin in a container that has a water activated switch to inflate.

Skip 02-11-2011 05:16 PM

About 10 years ago , my dad and I were fishing the CCNPP in early March.

Guy anchored and then tried to pull it. One guy drove forward while other pulled anchor.
Boat swung around - then anchor went into the prop. Boat was a CC - maybe 22 footer.

My dad readied life jackets and I motored up to them.

Good luck - the anchor slipped and the boat drifted out of current.
Guy still had to unwrap the rode but managed not to fall in.

Bay in winter is no joke. Even in early May , water is still cold.