CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Cheap Braid on EBay (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1382)

Bend-Lure 08-30-2011 12:06 PM

Cheap Braid on EBay

Does anyone have experience with the inexpensive braided line being sold on EBay (and other places I am sure). I just ordered two spools of 300m, 80# Dyneema PE high viz yellow six strand braided line diameter .40mm. At $10 per spool with combined shipping of $5 it seemed like a good deal. It's about 1/3 the price of similar spools of braid at BPS.

Of course the line is coming from Hong Kong so the shipping takes 2-4 weeks :rolleyes:.

My plan is to use the line for bottom fishing aboard the Morningstar.

Skip 08-30-2011 07:22 PM

Have to be leery when things are 1/3 price but some times it is legit.

I saw braid very cheap at a flea market. Brand new sealed boxes of 30 lb Power Pro. Guy was asking $7.00 - going rate was around $20.00 to $25.00.

Funny thing was - had a store sticker on back of package. One of our local bait stores. It had been stolen. I bought one spool - called store owner and gave him the spool. Police ended up investigating it , part of a much bigger theft ring.

With your deal - might be a legit bargain , good luck.

oldfart 08-31-2011 06:26 AM

Skip if it is "Raptor" decent line, tends to untwist so I switch ends half way through the season

Spot77 08-31-2011 12:45 PM

No experience with the Asian braided line, but about 2 years ago I ordered an ultralight telescopic rod from Hong Kong for about $6.00 to use when biking the C&O Canal.

It broke this year, but I definitely got my money's worth out of it and caught hundreds of bass, bluegill, crappie and white perch with it.

drichitt 08-31-2011 08:05 PM

Good, no Great Price for Power Pro

I have found a site called sissortail.com where I order my PowerPro. The owner's name is David and I don't know him but have communicated with him of and on. He doesn't carry much but does carry a lot of Power Pro. He has consistently beaten any price I can find on Ebay, his shipping is reasonable and I have never had a problem with his stuff. I just ordered 500yds 15# yellow...Don

reds 09-01-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drichitt (Post 11135)
I have found a site called sissortail.com where I order my PowerPro. The owner's name is David and I don't know him but have communicated with him of and on. He doesn't carry much but does carry a lot of Power Pro. He has consistently beaten any price I can find on Ebay, his shipping is reasonable and I have never had a problem with his stuff. I just ordered 500yds 15# yellow...Don

Any chance you posted the wrong website?

drichitt 09-01-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reds (Post 11136)
Any chance you posted the wrong website?

Sure did and sorry about that. Thanks Red. The guy recently changed the domain name for his site and provided no forwarding. I had forgotten about it.
http://www.scissortailsports.com/

Bend-Lure 09-01-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drichitt (Post 11135)

Sissor tail is charging $29 for 300 yards of 80# braid. I ordered the equivalent for $10 on ebay. Maybe the name brand is worth a multiple of 3 on the price. I'll test the ebay line soon.

drichitt 09-02-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bend-Lure (Post 11139)
Sissor tail is charging $29 for 300 yards of 80# braid. I ordered the equivalent for $10 on ebay. Maybe the name brand is worth a multiple of 3 on the price. I'll test the ebay line soon.

$10 for 300Yds of 80lb sounds too good to be true; and you know what they say. Then again it could be some disgruntled wife cleaning out her x-husband's locker...lol

In any event, nice find!