CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Deck resoration (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=3095)

Mako mike 01-03-2016 11:15 AM

Deck resoration

One of the projects I want to tackle on the old mako this winter is to restore the non skid deck on her. On one of the trips to PLO this season I went to reach for one of the outrigger lanyards and my feet started to go out from under me. Not a good thing to happen in December. So Dale and I will be stripping her down and spraying new gel coat with non skid additive. Any suggestions or hints on such a project would be greatly appreciated. I just hope I can get gel coat on deck to match the old so I am not redoing inside gunnels and cabin to make them match. I figure I would mix a little rockfish blood in with gel coat and it should be a perfect match. LOL! Anyhow I will continue with posts and pictures of the progress. Wish us luck!

5th Tuition 01-03-2016 12:02 PM

I'm not saying I would do it to my boat, but have you looked at the photo's of boats done with "Line X"? The "scrap book" they have at the shop looks pretty interesting.
5th

Mako mike 01-03-2016 01:10 PM

I have seen them done with line x. Only problem is the added weight and if you ever have to remove a plate in the future, I.e. To get to fuel system it is a ***** to break the seal around the plate and to get recaulked to another water rite seal due to its texture. And it will chip when something such as 24 oz weight was dropped on it. The line x I have had in trucks did the same. Taking truck back for repair no biggie but dragging the boat would be pain in the ass!

Mako mike 01-04-2016 06:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some pics from deck plate removal

B-Faithful 01-04-2016 09:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I highly recommend gel coat if you can. If not, my dad redid his deck with epoxy deck paint with some sand in it and it works well. Below is a photo being repainted after nearly 4 years of use. The epoxy holds up well and gives protection. Needs to be redone every few years and It is tougher to clean than gel coat. However it is a tough finish.

Mako mike 01-04-2016 10:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the feedback Greg. When you said after four years of use did you mean with the product he used to recover it? I found a petit product that has the mica mixed in with the paint and looks easy to use. Best part is that it comes in a color that is almost identical to the current color. How in the heck do you put more than one photo in a post!

B-Faithful 01-04-2016 10:55 AM

The first coat of epoxy lasted 4 years. It was gel coat before that but was getting too smooth. He said he fell trying to gaff a fish and went with the epoxy then.

Mikie 01-04-2016 02:13 PM

I just use the Interlux Interdeck paint. Takes a little over 3 quarts to do the deck on my 42'. The non-skid is very good without being overly aggressive and will last a couple of years if you're not trying to destroy it. Just use it straight out of the can - it may seem too thick while you're stirring but it works perfectly.

Mako mike 01-04-2016 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikie (Post 21028)
I just use the Interlux Interdeck paint. Takes a little over 3 quarts to do the deck on my 42'. The non-skid is very good without being overly aggressive and will last a couple of years if you're not trying to destroy it. Just use it straight out of the can - it may seem too thick while you're stirring but it works perfectly.

That's one of the products I was looking at thanks for the feedback!

Mako mike 01-17-2016 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today we got all deck plates sanded wiped down fairing compound in all dings, cracks and whatnot. Sanded again, wiped down again and finally first coat of petit nonskid paint.coming along and is turning out pretty nice.
Never realized how many dings and chips were on the deck. Guess I gotta start being a little more careful with the 29 oz. weights.

Mako mike 01-17-2016 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After first coat

5th Tuition 01-17-2016 08:44 PM

Mike; that looks great. You can get a lot done indoors:D
5th

bhl 01-18-2016 07:43 AM

Looks good Mike. Good to see you Saturday in Frederick.

Mako mike 01-18-2016 12:12 PM

Good seeing you as well Bruce. Personally I thought it was a great show with one heck of a turn out! Prices on most items were reasonable and there was a wide selection of items to choose from. I mostly just purchased some jig heads, some bkd's and other assorted jigging tails. Again as I mentioned at the show, if you need a hand figuring out the problem with your control station please feel free to contact me, would love to help as much as my knowledge will allow. Sorry I didn't get back by your table but was getting a little crowded and I got outta there. Sounds like there could be a fair amount of snow this weekend for the Kent island and Tristate shows. If that is the case defiantly glad I made it to Frederick show. Stay off the ice and snow and take care of that hip!

Mako mike 02-02-2016 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few more pictures of progress. Sanded and masking edges

Mako mike 02-02-2016 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First coat of non skid being applied to actual deck. And like I thought looks so good now all smooth finished areas will be painted. God it's nice to work indoors during the winter!

B-Faithful 02-03-2016 02:48 PM

Are you at the place off of 97? If so, what is the indoor temp there. I may want to finish under the gunwales of dad's boat with grey before the Judge Yachts open house if I cannot come to terms with a current perspective buyer. :)

Mako mike 02-03-2016 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Faithful (Post 21237)
Are you at the place off of 97? If so, what is the indoor temp there. I may want to finish under the gunwales of dad's boat with grey before the Judge Yachts open house if I cannot come to terms with a current perspective buyer. :)

I am not, however Marty is and I believe he said they keep it around 50 degrees but I also believe they are full this winter. Marty could fill you in more.

5th Tuition 02-03-2016 10:31 PM

Greg; I am in the indoor place off 97. They do keep it at 50* and they are full. They allow washing outside, not inside. Waxing is also done outside, not inside where the "dust" can get over other boats. I can't believe they would allow painting inside.
5th

Mako mike 02-08-2016 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got deck put back together and new transducer cable ran. Now sanding all top sides prepping for paint.

Gypsy Danger 02-08-2016 10:31 AM

It's looking really good, keep the pictures coming. Your probably saving a pretty penny doing the work yourself, that means you can buy 1st round on Saturday!

Mako mike 02-08-2016 08:46 PM

Gunnels have all dings chips and dents filled from the sound of 20oz + weights thumping on gunnels,especially on the port side from years of sash weights beating on them from deep dropping and sword fishing. All have been sanded and taped just waiting on paint to be applied. Hopefully get at least one coat on before the weekend due to PSG show this weekend doubt much will get done. Show no big hang up but the big head Sunday from meeting at Irves following the show may hinder the progress!

Mako mike 03-03-2016 06:05 AM

Done for winter

1 Attachment(s)
Deck is done on the entire boat. Have all non skid surfaces painted as well as all cockpit smooth surfaces. Just running out of time to complete entire project this winter. Time to start working on rods/reels and tackle for upcoming season so we can put some blood on them new decks!

Chessie27 03-03-2016 06:20 PM

Looking good!!!!

Gypsy Danger 03-03-2016 10:29 PM

You guys did one hell of a job, turned out great!

Mako mike 03-04-2016 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsy Danger (Post 21378)
You guys did one hell of a job, turned out great!

Thanks, it was a lot of work and front still yet to be done. Can't imagine what it must be like to build one from the keel up.

5th Tuition 03-04-2016 07:40 AM

I can't wait to see her in the slip at our marina.

p.s. Looks like I may have a slip in Deale for Trophy season:D I'll see you back up north June 1st:)
5th

Mako mike 03-04-2016 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 21380)
I can't wait to see her in the slip at our marina.

p.s. Looks like I may have a slip in Deale for Trophy season:D I'll see you back up north June 1st:)
5th

May have one myself at a electrician I deal with at work house. And if not what do you mean you'll see me back up north? You mean I'm not invited on a trip! I can wave off a Grady like the best of them!

5th Tuition 03-04-2016 11:43 AM

Sure you're invited on a trip. Have to teach you how to set 20 lines this spring:)

I'm just worried that being around all the guys SOUTH of the bridge; you will pick up the "rebel" label.:D
5th

Mako mike 03-04-2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 21382)
Sure you're invited on a trip. Have to teach you how to set 20 lines this spring:)

I'm just worried that being around all the guys SOUTH of the bridge; you will pick up the "rebel" label.:D
5th

Come on Marty, having a senior moment? I'm from the Florida keys how much further SOUTH of the "bridge" can one get! As far as being a rebel? It was a sad day when South Carolina took the confederate flag down, what next the American flag because it has stars on it! It's not a symbol of hate, it's heritage! That's rite you mess with a southern boys flag, and you will have problems, no different then any flag flown during a war. How many times have you seen the American flag burning with a bunch of towel heads running the streets celebrating, pisses you off don't it! Enough with my rant, hopefully I didn't offend anyone! Besides if Trump becomes president the stars will be replaced with dollar signs!

5th Tuition 03-04-2016 06:51 PM

Mike; have a snickers:D
Bahaaaa, look who's telling you this:eek:
5th

Mikie 03-04-2016 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mako mike (Post 21383)
Come on Marty, having a senior moment? I'm from the Florida keys how much further SOUTH of the "bridge" can one get! As far as being a rebel? It was a sad day when South Carolina took the confederate flag down, what next the American flag because it has stars on it! It's not a symbol of hate, it's heritage! That's rite you mess with a southern boys flag, and you will have problems, no different then any flag flown during a war. How many times have you seen the American flag burning with a bunch of towel heads running the streets celebrating, pisses you off don't it! Enough with my rant, hopefully I didn't offend anyone! Besides if Trump becomes president the stars will be replaced with dollar signs!

Mistake #1 - worrying about offending someone! That's called being Politically Correct, which is one of the reasons we're where we are.
Mistake#2 - downing Trump. Better wake up and realize the reason all of the establishment is trying to take him down is because they don't own him. They can't control him. If he doesn't win, the Dems, Mexicans, Latinos, Blacks, Towel heads, Clintons, own Amerika from now on.