CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   Fishing Reports (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Fattie on the east side,.. (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=2068)

seahuntr 12-15-2012 11:13 AM

Fattie on the east side,..

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to take a quick trip and was on the water a little before 7. When I got to open waters between TPL and West River, I could see the fleet starting to accumulate and decided to join the party.

I was putting in my third line when the 2nd line popped. It was chartreuse tandem out 8 bars with no weight. Really hard fighting fish. I got a couple pics of this very full-bodied citation, and right back in. I was glad to see a VERY strong release with big tail power.

On the way in, I noticed a little fluid draining down the dash from the Baystar steering. So it looks like I'll be on the hard for a while but it's been a very good season for so many reasons. :)

bhl 12-15-2012 11:36 AM

Nice job, you look very warm.

5th Tuition 12-15-2012 03:53 PM

How about using the name "fatrock" and using this photo as your signature pic.

Congratulations on a nice fish; more kudo's for putting her back:)
5th (Marty)

Jig Monster 12-15-2012 05:03 PM

That's one fat fish . Nice going on the C&R !

B-Faithful 12-15-2012 05:27 PM

Awesome fish. Sounds like a nice bite up our way just as the season closes. My neighbor had a hot bite at BPL this morning getting bites while setting lines. I wish I had made a morning trip! Congrats on the catch!

Spot77 12-15-2012 09:28 PM

Nice catch.

You sure the little cap on the fluid fill isn't loose or cracked? I've seen a lot of plastic caps that turn brittle over the years.

Skip 12-16-2012 10:47 AM

Congrats on nice fish.

FWIW: Not uncommon for cold weather to cause the helm steering seal to weep a drip of fluid. Often - when warm weather returns - drip stops.

Mine in fact weeped the other day. I put a rag to catch the drip - then add a touch when home.

seahuntr 12-16-2012 12:58 PM

That was fun - even enough to keep me from being too worked up about the steering. I got in just fine and now's as good of time as any to look into it.

FWIW - The steering felt a little unusual a week or so ago on a very cold day but seemed to be better later that morning. I checked for leaked fluid in the console and transom (none) and checked the fluid level the next day and thought it was ok. I guess there's a possibility that I left the cap loose but didn't notice a trail from the sight hole yesterday when I checked fluid again. I'd estimate about 2-4 tablespoonfuls ran down the front of the console. I didn't think of it at the time I wiped it up but it was kind of grayish looking and it occurs to me now that might be due to a deteriorated seal.

I looked at an exploded view in the installation manual (online) and it looks like I can at least take a better look when I get a chance without too much trouble.

mark1234 12-16-2012 02:32 PM

Nice fish!

I worked the same general area and ended the day with 5, all 35-37".

My steering also leaks only in the winter, but at the motor. When it gets really cold the steering gets very loose feeling. As the temperature rises it goes away. I was going to order the seal kit and replace it this winter.