CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   So......let's talk about Yellow Perch. (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1556)

Spot77 12-19-2011 03:18 PM

So......let's talk about Yellow Perch.

Boats are all getting put away and a lot of us are becoming landlubbers for a few months.

Anyone catching YP yet? :D

Where?

Skip 12-19-2011 05:11 PM

Put away :confused::confused::confused:

As long as ramps are not iced in and roads are passable - I'm fishing.

Some of the best fishing is about to start. All C/R but lots of fun.

B-Faithful 12-19-2011 07:51 PM

Virginia waters call me next week! Hopefully some BIG rockfish are to be found! :)

Fish Nut 12-19-2011 08:44 PM

I have the big boat up for the winter. However I have my small boat geting a tune up so I s, ready to hit Owens for some yellows next week. Let the fun begin:D

Spot77 12-19-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Nut (Post 11972)
I have the big boat up for the winter. However I have my small boat geting a tune up so I s, ready to hit Owens for some yellows next week. Let the fun begin:D

Owens?

Do tell please!!!!

In addition to theYP, it's also Pickerel hunting season. :D

Rivercat09 12-20-2011 12:52 PM

My boat is put away for the winter, but it's more due to the wimp factor. I have a CC, and I'll admit it, I don't want to get cold. As for the yellows, I can stand to learn a lot, and I'm all ears...

Spot77 12-20-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivercat09 (Post 11976)
My boat is put away for the winter, but it's more due to the wimp factor. I have a CC, and I'll admit it, I don't want to get cold. As for the yellows, I can stand to learn a lot, and I'm all ears...

Last year everyone was saying grass shrimp was the bomb for catching the YP in cold weather.

Mike and I tried a couple of the "hot spots" with no luck at all. In fact, we caught more YP in the upper reaches of creeks off of the Bodkin on Beetlespins than anything else.

Beachwood Park off the Magothy is supposed to be good, and we saw tons of people there last year.

Fish Nut 12-21-2011 09:19 PM

Owens is up on the Susquehana ariver across from Harve De Grace / Perryville. There is a boat ramp so not a bad run for a small boat. I just wentover my
check list am ready just add rods and water.

I may hit Stony Creek this weekend since I am close. the local crew caught a few in the creek last year plus I want to chase a few pickeral that I know live there.

Spot77 12-22-2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Nut (Post 11979)
Owens is up on the Susquehana ariver across from Harve De Grace / Perryville. There is a boat ramp so not a bad run for a small boat. I just wentover my
check list am ready just add rods and water.

I may hit Stony Creek this weekend since I am close. the local crew caught a few in the creek last year plus I want to chase a few pickeral that I know live there.

Havre De Grace might be a bit of a ride for me....I'm right near the bay bridge.:eek: But I've gone way further in pursuit of fish before.:D

I used to keep my old boat at Florida Marine back around 2002. Used to crush WP and small Rockfish in the creek and up in Nabbs Creek, but never caught anything else there.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Spot77 12-22-2011 09:08 AM

North East

I've heard for years that people catch a lot of YP at North East Park. Here's the town's website and park info is located near the bottom.

I've been to the town before and it's pretty quaint in the downtown area. Reminds me of old Ellicott City. There's a few good restaurants there too.

http://www.northeastmd.org/about.php

Spot77 12-22-2011 09:11 AM

Beachwood Park

Another spot widely acclaimed for it's Yellow Perch action.

http://www.aacounty.org/RecParks/launch/beachwood.cfm

garlien 12-22-2011 11:22 PM

Sounds like a lot of people talk about the Susq. and yellow perch...I am all up for the drive, but would like to find a good spot...I have heard some good stuff about Northeast Park as well...

Wish I could keep the boat in the water now...Its a inboard and I don't want to take the chance with anything freezing so I took it out on Weds and winterized it...

Would love to head down to VA, even further south in Maryland but don't want to deal with the risk...

Figure with a the few things that need to be repaired/added to the boat might as well pull it for 6 or so weeks now, so its ready for an early March launch...

So the long story short...Wish I could be out chasing some nice Rock, but I am stuck on land with Scott...If any of ya know some good spots for YP, send me a PM, wont "burn" the spot or share if folks are concerned...My haunt is Thomas Point to Rock Hall more than 90% of the year anyway...Just looking to get a fix for a few days...

Thanks for any/all help...

Mike

tacklemake 12-24-2011 10:03 AM

Ya at Belle grove ponds off of Belle grove road............woody

Southerly 12-26-2011 11:58 AM

got that new rod yesterday, and went down to beach to take a coulple casts. had guests at home, so i could only stay a few minutes. put on a 4" white twister tail and 3/8 head. i saw a couple yellow perch follow the lure all the way to the water surface, and turn off. frustrating.

so me and the minnows decided to go out this morning and take a shot at it.

looks like the new rod has a mind of its own,...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9_ja...ature=youtu.be

Fish Nut 12-26-2011 05:02 PM

Try using a drop shoot rig. This will keep the tangles down.

Nice catch on the Rock. Buddy caught three monsters at kitipopeak yesterday on eel:)

garlien 12-26-2011 05:38 PM

Was he fishing from the shore or pier ? Boat ? Around the sunken ships ?

Southerly 12-26-2011 07:07 PM

thank you - i had 2 snelled eagle claws tied to the mainline, and the sinker. fwiw braid will cut thru the mono loop if it pulls too tight.

i think you're right about drop shot rig keeping a neater presentation.

i wanted the yp but after the 1st rock, decided to go head and jig for rock and let the minnows drag from a boat rodholder. when 2nd fish took a minnow, i switched rods. wound up with a tangle of the 2 lines. under the engine and everything. after loosing the fish, i had to cut it free, pull it back thru, and rerig.

2nd fish was the nicer fish but lost his caption in pos film edit.:)

Spot77 12-28-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacklemake (Post 11986)
Ya at Belle grove ponds off of Belle grove road............woody

Shoot...a couple of us grew up in the lighter side of that area. I caught some nice bass back there in the day, but never once caught any Yellow Perch.

I got to get back there soon.

By the way, there's a nice ramp in Baltimore Highlands that will let you get a small boat back in that water off of Belle Grove pretty easily. It's in the back of the park near the light rail tracks. I forgot the name of the park.:o