CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Mid-Atlantic Fisherman Magazine (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1052)

SimpleBiology 10-03-2010 04:48 AM

Mid-Atlantic Fisherman Magazine

I received my Fisherman magazine the other day and on the inside cover was a note telling of the peril of the Mid-Alantic edition. I have always found many of the articles worth reading most specifically the ones by Lenny Rudow.

Does anyone know the story behind it's demise?

Blakesdad 10-03-2010 06:43 AM

The Internet.

drichitt 10-03-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blakesdad (Post 8518)
The Internet.

Or lack of it, when it comes to The Fisherman. They have no interactive presence on the net. It took forever for me to get my subscription up and running; everything was done via snail mail. They even had a problem when I paid my renewal using an online bill payer service:confused:. The market is there, I just think they have not marketed themselves that well. They are flourishing in the NJ/NY markets because of a much higher concentration of anglers than we have here in the mid-Atlantic region. But Brian is correct, there is so much more available on the Internet and it is a shame The Fisherman has not modernized themselves. I called them over two years ago and suggested that they provide an annual, or rolling, index of their articles. They said it was in the works and would be available within a year. As with so many businesses, they fail to see times are a changing. Not embracing the net was a huge mistake. Many of the Charter operators are making the same mistake....Don

Skip 10-03-2010 03:39 PM

Boils down to less subscribers and fewer people paying for ads.
It was a losing business - can only be funded so long.
Long story short - less people are fishing nowadays.

IMHO - It could turn a profit - just need to cut some of the overhead expenses and really push to sell subscriptions. More subscribers would mean more avertisers.

The NJ / Del / Fisherman will still be published.

Hate to see it go - got stacks going back 15 years or so.

SimpleBiology 10-03-2010 06:11 PM

If I go to Sandy Point on a saturday.... which seldom occurs, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of people boating and fishing

Spot77 10-03-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimpleBiology (Post 8522)
If I go to Sandy Point on a saturday.... which seldom occurs, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of people boating and fishing

Well yeah, but can any of them read?

:D

Billj 10-03-2010 08:08 PM

Poor representation on the advertising side.

Bill

drichitt 10-03-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimpleBiology (Post 8522)

I agree. The subscribers are there. Outdated business model.

Caribbean Soul 10-04-2010 07:50 AM

The Fisherman, Mid Atlantic Division, has been poorly run for years, and they continually raised the price for advertising. The follow up and consitency of contacts with dealers had been sorely lacking.Many of my dealers have found other alternatives, Chesapeake Bay Angler for one.
Caribbean Soul

5th Tuition 10-04-2010 08:26 AM

I don't subscribe to any of the magazines; but the only one I look forward to seeing is "Prop Talk". It doesn't have that much about fishing, but I get all the fishing info I need from direct contact with my friends or some general info through the boards (CBA and TF).
5th (Marty)