CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   Fishing Reports (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Still Not 4th of July Fireworks (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=3541)

5th Tuition 05-22-2018 07:44 AM

Still Not 4th of July Fireworks

May 21 2018 : Not many fishing posts, so here's one that's NOT full of fireworks and celebration.

It won't be long before I have to leave Deale:mad: I have so many friends fishing down that way. Mark (Mlag) and Jason (Rockin Robin) often turn south from their slips and fish within a hair of Deale. Many of the Captains and mates I know from my Charter boat days share information. And even Rob (FishNut) puts his boat in Herrington North for the Trophy Season.

Time is getting short, so I invited Captain John (Patent Pending) and a mate (Ronnie) to try fishing off my Judge for a fun trip:D

Reports from Sunday were that the fish were right out front in 35-50 ft of water. We left the slip at 6:30 and had 19 lines with 6 inch baits soaking in less than an hour.

I really thought we would be done by 9:30 the latest:eek: Although there is a 19 inch minimum, we decided to keep fish over 20 inches today.

The boat rods were on fire. We had a couple of "keepers" in the box and released far to many "shorts" (under 20). We had a dry spell, and it was looking like it was going to be a long day to catch just 6 fish:rolleyes:

I found a "hot spot" in deeper water that showed less bait and fewer fish. Wouldn't you know, every time we circled back to that 50 ft spot a "nice" fish (25-27 inches) would hook up.

I still got to play "mate" when we hooked up an Alwives and it twisted the tandem up. Some of the shorts were "spinners" as well, and either broke off the leader or twisted crap up as well.

At least we are back into the part of the season when you can tell a good fish simply by the bend in the rod !!!

I had set a time frame to troll to 1pm. It looked like we were going to need the entire time. However, about 12:15 our final fish was landed:):)

Maybe it was the tide, or some celestial manifestation; but we caught (and released) two more keepers as we were bringing in the lines.

We were further south than our starting point (83) and closer to CB; maybe that was the reason.

Back at the dock, we heard that the fish had moved further south to the area just north of the Radar Towers.

Captain John cleaned fish as I cleaned the boat. Ronnie took all the stuff to the cars, and soon enough, we were ready to head home with some nice filets.

I spoke to my slip holder and he said it would be no problem to stay another week after June 1st:D

I hope to get a few more trips out of Deale and let Lolo, Jeff, and Mako Mike find the fish up north before my return.
5th

Mako mike 05-22-2018 01:46 PM

Don’t rely on me I haven’t been since the last time I went with you!

5th Tuition 05-22-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mako mike (Post 23334)
Don’t rely on me I haven’t been since the last time I went with you!

Seriously?? I thought that once you figured out (both in the Keys and here) that you could get in and out of the boat, you would have been fishing between raindrops:D

Even I haven't been out that often. I've been trying to paint an outside shed. Between the rain, and the fishing; it's not done yet:eek:

Funny story:
I was fishing off Bloody Point during trophy season and I saw a boat that i could have swore was you (now that the decals are off your boat). I angled over toward the boat so I could wave and speak to you. The guy must have been thinking, "What the hell is this nut up to?" as I got closer and closer. I actually yelled, "Hey Mike" when i was within distance of him. He quickly steered away from me, and as I got a view of the stern, noticed he only had one motor:eek:

He was telling a story to his buddies that evening about a crazy guy in a Judge that came way too close to him that morning:)

I heard the chumming fleet is at least trying to get organized in the Love Point area. Get out with Lucky Jay and get me some information !!!
See you all soon up north.
5th

Chessie27 05-22-2018 08:41 PM

Mr 5th,
You are asking a lot of us Northern boys. I have only been out twice all year. The reports of boat rods working make me very happy. I MAY try to get out Sunday or Monday but if not, June 1st’s Casey Cares tourney will be my next trip and definitely the last time the boards see the Bay for a while.

Mako mike 05-23-2018 08:48 AM

Was thinking about trying tomorrow, Thursday if I can come up with a crew. Jay has been very busy sinking piling sand replacing bulkheads. And you know once jay has mind set on something there’s no stopping until it’s done