CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   School Me (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=2348)

5th Tuition 09-26-2013 07:40 AM

School Me

Everyone knows I had my HDS stolen and returned:D. The only things not with the unit were the knobs that attach the head to the bracket (which Jim at BOE Marine replaced at no charge:)) and my Navionics chip was missing.
I bought a new chip from Jim, and it arrived in the mail a couple days ago. I inserted the chip, selected Navionics in the head unit, and all went well.

Now for the question. In the packaging, along with the chip (SD card), was a small flash drive stick, what is this for? Is there anything on this stick? What gives? I read the material provided, but I'm confused.
This seems to happen more and more the older I get:eek:
5th (Marty)

Chessie27 09-26-2013 05:26 PM

I bet it's from the dirtbag that stole your unit! :eek: He copied the waypoints off the other units he stole, put them on a thumbdrive, and then gave them to you with your unit. Consider it restitution!?!? He probably expects a fishing trip from you in...oh let's say.....hopefully at least 3-5 years!! ;)

5th Tuition 09-26-2013 06:55 PM

The memory stick was in the packaging of the Navionics :eek:

bhl 09-26-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 16394)
Everyone knows I had my HDS stolen and returned:D. The only things not with the unit were the knobs that attach the head to the bracket (which Jim at BOE Marine replaced at no charge:)) and my Navionics chip was missing.
I bought a new chip from Jim, and it arrived in the mail a couple days ago. I inserted the chip, selected Navionics in the head unit, and all went well.

Now for the question. In the packaging, along with the chip (SD card), was a small flash drive stick, what is this for? Is there anything on this stick? What gives? I read the material provided, but I'm confused.
This seems to happen more and more the older I get:eek:
5th (Marty)

Could it be a "Fish Stick":D

bhl (Bruce)

flycatcher 09-26-2013 10:42 PM

Hi Marty,

It a USB 2.0 SD card reader. If you stick an SD card in the side of it then plug it into a USB slot, you can read what's on the SD card.

reds 09-27-2013 05:56 AM

Could it be for copying your waypoints and routes from the boat unit to the computer or vice versa. There are some excellent maps from Noaa you can use on your computer.

flycatcher 09-27-2013 09:14 PM

Reds,
Nope, it's simply a card reader. I've got one.

drichitt 09-29-2013 07:42 AM

You need one to update your Lowrance and backup your information to your computer. I don't expect we will see any additional updates for the Gen 1 systems though.