CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Fellow Trollers (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=1270)

5th Tuition 03-28-2011 08:36 AM

Fellow Trollers

So the weather looks like it is going to break near the end of the week and I should have my boat back from my dealer any day.

With only six rods, what are your favorite BOAT rods to run?

I'll probably put out one board and run three board rods. If I put out one Way Back line, that leaves two spots open for boat rods.

What's your favorite boat rod? Because it's only 6 rods, I will probably run two umbrellas in these last two spots. What's your favorite setup?

An example would be: Large umbrella with double 9 inch shads on two oz. chutes back 120 ft and with 20 oz of weight.

So what's your best catcher?

5th (Marty)

B-Faithful 03-28-2011 09:17 AM

I run 4 off one board and 2 off the boat.

Off the boat has been two umbrellas. One umbrella gets 16 oz other gets 20 or 24 oz. One white and one green and out 55-75' respectively

White umbrella has been getting a 6/3oz tandem following it close. 6oz gets a 9" shad, 3 oz gets a 6" shad. 6" shad gets most the bites.

Green umbrella has 2oz bucktails with 9" off each arm.

Once the bait is in full force, I will put 5 off of the board. Boards get tandems and solo chutes to cover the upper water column

5th Tuition 03-28-2011 10:35 AM

So Greg; you must be running a short 6 and 3 oz tandem off the center of the umbrella? Then on the other umbrella you are running bucktails off opposing arms of the umbrella?

Right?

Do you always run your biggest weight off the shortest umbrella (55 ft)?

Does the 75 ft umbrella get hit more often? 55 feet seems really short, does it act like an attractant for the fish but then they hit the 75 ft umbrella.

Marty

B-Faithful 03-28-2011 10:45 AM

yup. the tandem comes off the center of the white umbrella.. 2ozers are on opposing arms of the umbrella.

The white umbrella has been very hot since i put it together last fall. It was even the rig that Pauls son reeled in his 38lber on and it took the first two fish trolling this spring.

length-wise I sometimes even run them the same length depending upon where the themacline shows on my finder. If it seems shallow I will put both out 5 bars on a 330gti. If it seems a little deeper, I will put out to 7bars or so. My speed also varies. As the water warms up I will troll up to 4-4.5mph so the deep rods will get put out a hair longer. By putting out the same length with different weight, I have them at a varied depth.

5th Tuition 03-28-2011 11:19 AM

Thanks Greg; I only know of one other guy who fishes a tandem off his Lg Umb. (Alan). I have only done the opposing arm twin baits.
Thanks, Marty

Anybody else have a good boat rod umbrella setup?

Skip 03-28-2011 12:07 PM

Just wear a pair of white boots - then you can run as many as you want. :D

Fish Nut 03-28-2011 01:31 PM

Since I have to convince the NRP officer I am fishing for blue fish I run a 21 Tony on one rod Boat rod

Normally run one planer board
Planer line a light daisy chain with 3oz lure
Planer line a tandem heavy 8- 4 combo
Planer line another tandem 5-3
Planer line a single 4 or 5 oz lure

Boat rod A chandler rig with Billy bar attached. Trailing 3oz baits 45-50' out:eek:

reeltor 03-28-2011 03:07 PM

I'll second Greg's setup. Deep rods are running around thermocline to pick off big momma.

5th Tuition 03-28-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reeltor (Post 10429)
I'll second Greg's setup. Deep rods are running around thermocline to pick off big momma.

Come on Paul; does Greg ever catch anything off those umbrellas:D. I've never trolled with him yet, so he could tell me anything:eek:.
5th (Marty)

justchillin 03-28-2011 04:27 PM

Hey Marty i actually cut down 2 of my umbrellas just to see how the smaller ones catch. If they catch the same they should be a little more user friendly lol

5th Tuition 03-28-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justchillin (Post 10432)
Hey Marty i actually cut down 2 of my umbrellas just to see how the smaller ones catch. If they catch the same they should be a little more user friendly lol

Well; now that you actually bought some true reels (330 gti's) for those umbrellas, they will be easier to get to the boat:D.
Marty

Hockleyneck 03-28-2011 08:10 PM

Ask to see Marty's AARP card, it gets him 10% off at Denny's on Tuesdays before 5:00, and no reeling in the WWB rod.:D

Hockleyneck 03-28-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 10424)
Just wear a pair of white boots - then you can run as many as you want. :D

That is funny, my son wanted to know what I was laughing at.

5th Tuition 03-28-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockleyneck (Post 10437)
Ask to see Marty's AARP card, it gets him 10% off at Denny's on Tuesdays before 5:00, and no reeling in the WWB rod.:D

On Alan's boat, if I grab the WWB rod, it's no problem. I just make him put the boat in neutral, let all the lures fall in the mud, and make Alan net my fish:eek:.
I still think Alan's boat (proline 23 express with 250 verado) is one of the sweetest boats on the bay.
I tell him $hit like that so he keeps asking me to fish with him:D.
5th (Marty)

mlag 03-29-2011 11:44 AM

Without a doubt my most productive boat rod is a large chartruese umbrella.......(20 inch) with 2 (2 oz) white parachutes with 9" chartruese shads on opposing arms back 200 feet with no additional weight.......Mark

Stinkbait 03-29-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlag (Post 10441)
Without a doubt my most productive boat rod is a large chartruese umbrella.......(20 inch) with 2 (2 oz) white parachutes with 9" chartruese shads on opposing arms back 200 feet with no additional weight.......Mark

I'll make sure that I do not grab that rod if it gets hit.....or double hit:eek:

Jim

5th Tuition 03-29-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlag (Post 10441)

Holy Crap;
How about I cut everything in half: I use a small umbrella, with one 2 oz weight, with 6 inch shads, back 100 ft:D. Think I'll catch half as many fish:rolleyes:.

Oh, Oh, Wait; I'll put two small umbrellas out (one on each corner of the transom), and still catch as many fish as Mark:eek:.

Seriously, thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to decide what to run off the 46 Markley as boat lines. I don't have to reel in any of the above suggestions:).

Last question, do you think a big deisel motor and large prop would affect Greg's short (55/75 ft) umbrella's?

I'll have to pick Steve's brain on the Stormy Petral for idea's as well.
5th (Marty)

Fish Nut 03-29-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 10443)
Last question, do you think a big deisel motor and large prop would affect Greg's short (55/75 ft) umbrella's?

5th (Marty)

NO probably better than the outboard considering dry exhust

mlag 03-30-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 10443)
Holy Crap;
How about I cut everything in half: I use a small umbrella, with one 2 oz weight, with 6 inch shads, back 100 ft:D. 5th (Marty)

Forgot to mention that I do have a 114H Penn reel on that setup:p Heck, even Cindy pulls in that rod!!! Now the wwwwwback at 325........now I have been known to hand that one over to the newbie on board that day:D...........Mark

crabby and son 03-30-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlag (Post 10466)
Forgot to mention that I do have a 114H Penn reel on that setup:p Heck, even Cindy pulls in that rod!!! Now the wwwwwback at 325........now I have been known to hand that one over to the newbie on board that day:D...........Mark

Hand it to me. My biggest rock came off of that rod:D...Thanks..........Gary

Hockleyneck 03-31-2011 06:51 AM

I would imagine you will need to beat Kevin for it if he is on board, and I know who will win that battle.:p

Seahunter 03-31-2011 07:26 AM

Early season hottest bait, 6/4 oz. GID tandem bucktails, 6" shads, 150' off the back corner. Second place, 8 oz, long haired, John Deere, fished solo 125’ back

Lunker hunting 32 oz. Mojo fished in tandem with a 6 arm umbrella rigged with a single 10 oz chute, 50’ off the transom. Other side, 12" umbrella with 8 oz chute, 20 oz. inline, back 75'

Blakesdad 03-31-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seahunter (Post 10477)
Early season hottest bait, 6/4 oz. GID tandem bucktails, 6" shads, 150' off the back corner. Second place, 8 oz, long haired, John Deere, fished solo 125’ back

Lunker hunting 32 oz. Mojo fished in tandem with a 6 arm umbrella rigged with a single 10 oz chute, 50’ off the transom. Other side, 12" umbrella with 8 oz chute, 20 oz. inline, back 75'

And Clyde FINALLY makes his first appearance...:):):):):):)

NOW this place can be considered a REAL fishing board....:eek::eek::eek:

When Seahunter speaks, LISTEN.. this man is a WEALTH of information....

crabby and son 03-31-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockleyneck (Post 10475)
I would imagine you will need to beat Kevin for it if he is on board, and I know who will win that battle.:p

He moves a WHOLE lot quicker than me:D.............Gary

5th Tuition 03-31-2011 05:06 PM

Seahunter; 1st post; welcome to the board. Thanks for the information. This is exactly the type of posts we appreciate on CBA.

If I can ask a question: Did you see much bait while trolling?
Thanks, 5th (Marty)

B-Faithful 04-04-2011 06:59 AM

Funny you mention 6" baits.. our first two fish of the year trolling came off of 6" shads.

Also, on our last trip we had a 9" shad ripped back on the hook due to a short strike without a stinger. (although the last trip, the fish came on 9"ers)

Spot77 04-04-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th Tuition (Post 10493)
Seahunter; 1st post; welcome to the board. Thanks for the information. This is exactly the type of posts we appreciate on CBA.

If I can ask a question: Did you see much bait while trolling?
Thanks, 5th (Marty)

MArty,

We saw a fair amount of bait yesterday just south of the bridge and a little north of the anchorage. Listening to the radio, a few guys said they hooked up. We hooked one, but he got off.

hippie 04-07-2011 01:25 PM

Seahunter- That is a very good post, thank you.

Blakesdad- You mentioned GID bucktails, what is the GID? Thank you