CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   Fishing Reports (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   I am a child of the 80's (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=2923)

Fish Nut 05-25-2015 05:05 AM

I am a child of the 80's

1 Attachment(s)
My fondest memories growing up were of catching large blue fish. When i received the call that they were back , I had to go. I Called my other Friends broke the news I was balling on our croaker trip. Did I mention the report was of chopper blues running 7/14 lbs:D

Was told to bring some good tackel since the blues we're blowing up drags on smaller reels.

Ah what the hell I just put together a nice jigging rod with a Shimano ci4 3000, 8lb power pro slick and a 30lb shock leader with a Croix medium-size rod I wanted to have fun:eek:

Alarm clock goes off at 1:30 am drive to my friends house.. arrive at 4:30 my buddy shows me more pictures of the blues they have been catching. What the hell, let's go get them.

We stop at DK and they don't have any Donuts :eek: what the!! Holiday weekend and donut delivery is Late. All DK in ocean city get delivered from same place. Bad omen:( no donut.

We finialy get to the boat and out in the water. No tide we cast cast cast. No fish :eek: ok back to the dock grab breakfast a bloody Mary :D x2 I look out at the water tides starting to move. Boats start comming out of the wood work. Somethings getting ready to happen.

Back on the water and like flipping a lite switch, Blue Fish blitz the inlet. Fish on a nice 7 - 8lb blue rips drag from my buddies okuma. Snap as the drag sizes. The day before had wore it out I was next with a hook up. Drag starts singing and the Shimano preforms perfectly. Wow I haven't caught blue of this caliber in 30 years. the light tackel battle yields a 10 lb blue:eek:

The Rock have nothing on a blue....

We continue to hook up on blue drifting and casting most in the 6 - 8 lb range some heavier.

I think we landed 20 or so but I lost count. I kept enough to load the smoker up and have fresh blue fish fry for the holiday.

Ended the day with sore arms and great memories.

Go get em.:)

Fish Nut 05-25-2015 05:31 AM

Pic of jetty

1 Attachment(s)
Some pics ......

Fish Nut 05-25-2015 05:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dinner and smoker. 😃

Chessie27 05-25-2015 09:48 AM

I bet that thing fought like Mike Tyson!! Nice day!

5th Tuition 05-25-2015 10:25 AM

More like a child of the 60's. Were you on LSD when you took those pictures:eek:
5th

Fish Nut 05-25-2015 10:55 AM

straight from the school of 5th tuition photography :confused:.

Yes they did fight.

If these fish turn and make it into the bay this year.!!!!

These aren't our Normal blue fish. Nothing that swims will be safe:eek:

Skip 05-26-2015 09:26 AM

Brave man going out without donuts :D

Be interesting to see if Bluefish population rises as Rockfish population declines.

I have fond memories as well of those critters - casting hookless poppers from a boat on surf rods around Hacketts.

Got tired of reeling them in - so took hooks off - just to see them hit popper.

Congrats on getting into them .

one fish 05-26-2015 12:22 PM

wow

wtg fn. I was just tellin someone on my boat the other day about those blues of the 80's. my biggest was 16 lbs while chumming off 86 by myself. walked me all around the boat.

glad u got into them. wow. thx for the memories. ron ps is should get off my lazy arse and get in on that action.

B-Faithful 05-26-2015 03:05 PM

Cool report. A 36" slammer blue makes a 36" rockfish look like a slug. I got one as a kid that went over 18lbs on the scale and I won the youth award in a summer long tournament in NJ. I think I won a Penn reel.

Joe Walsh 05-26-2015 07:22 PM

I would rather catch blues, than rock, but would rather eat rock, than blues, especially the big blues...

Joe