CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource

CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource (http://www.cbangler.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cbangler.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Cast Nets (http://www.cbangler.com/showthread.php?t=758)

Conjuror 04-29-2010 08:51 AM

Cast Nets

I may be looking forward too soon to warm weather in the summer and livelining, and this may be a dumb question, but I am curious about this and I'm interested in your thoughts. Went fishing this spring down in the Keys. To get bait (once for tarpon and once for sails -- different bait fish), we used cast nets in fairly deep water (one time was 20ft) with good success. On a few occasions used a chum powder to get bait off the bottom.

So two questions.

1. Would this method work in the bay for spot? Say at the spot hole off Black Walnut Point. Could you actually catch enough spot this way, or any spot, or would the old reliable bloodworm or garlic shrimp still be better?

2. Is it even legal?

Slayer 04-29-2010 08:55 AM

Nothing illegal about it. I don't think Spot school up quite like some bait fish though so you may be out throwing that thing for a good while.

Baldzilla 04-29-2010 09:10 AM

never used it for spot...for me half the fun of live lining is catching the spot on ultralight, but I use a cast net all the time to catch bunker for my crab pots and usually have quite a few spot in the net. As long as it's legal you should really have no problem catching them around a dock (we are usually doing it at night under lights).
Good luck, let us know how you do!

Conjuror 04-29-2010 09:16 AM

Don't get me wrong, I like the part of livelining invloved in catching spot...it is awfully nice to hit the spot hole with the sun coming up...usually one of the nicest parts of the day. But on days when I don't ahve as much time...I was just wondering if it would work.

Slayer 04-29-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conjuror (Post 6746)
Don't get me wrong, I like the part of livelining invloved in catching spot...it is awfully nice to hit the spot hole with the sun coming up...usually one of the nicest parts of the day. But on days when I don't ahve as much time...I was just wondering if it would work.

In that case, just follow JoeDirts lead and buy your Spot at around $3 a pop!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Conjuror 04-29-2010 01:54 PM

:D:D that must really hurt when those little snapper blues are around

rbschou 04-29-2010 04:12 PM

My best luck with cast netting spot is in shallow(3ft-4ft) grassy area with an 8ft fast sinking net. Any deeper than that it is tough to get the net down to them without spooking them.

Reverb 04-29-2010 04:38 PM

I've had moderate success casting for spot at Causeway at Point Lookout.

Shallow and fairly easy. In mid bay thou, most spot are in 20 feet, or more of water and I'd find that hard to do.

crabby and son 04-29-2010 04:45 PM

The spot are bottom feeders and would be VERY hard to get with a cast net.........Gary

Billj 04-29-2010 08:09 PM

Ah, try it and let us know.:)