View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 PM

Marty - Don't sweat not being able to find the " Sliver ". Often spots are known by nicknames. Study the chart and look for humps / bumps / troughs , etc. that could hold bait or fish. Ocean Rockfish move fast - unless report is a few hours - likely no good.

Think about some one new to the bay trying to find the " Silver Ball " just south of Breezy Point. Years ago - the water tower was silver and when in about 35 feet , it looked like a silver ball sitting on tree tops. That is how it got nick name.

Now it is light blue - yet locals still call it " Silver Ball ". Newcomer would have no idea what / where to look. Guess calling it blue ball might not go over so well

Same thing up near # 86 is Gum Thickets. Years ago - there was a gum tree patch ( thicket) but they are long gone - yet name stays.

I still catch Rock in spring at the " mile markers " - near Mattapeake , even though the markers are long gone , my friends know exactly where I'm talking about.

Then you have a name given to a large area - ie: Radar towers. The real spot is close in and a kiss north where deep water comes in tight to shore. How ever - if guys can see the radar screens , they'll tell you the fish were caught at radar towers.

I have it even worse - some older guys ( 70-80 yrs ) will describe places to me. I'll get - it's due south of the old Johnson barn. OK - I find out the barn burned down in 1975 and never was rebuilt - bear in mind I was born 1963.