View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 04:38 PM

Second incident

Well, the boats back in the water We head out on a charter. The prop seems fine Off we go to Herring Bay to catch some spot. We anchor up No floats going under the boat this time!!

We catch our bait and head across the bay to try hooking up some nice rockfish.

About halfway across the bay, the boat loses power and squats down into the Chesapeake Bay waves (when is the wind going to stop). Captain John quickly looks to me in the back of the boat, I quickly look forward to the helm at him I give him the look, like I didn't touch anything (the second station).

Once again; we are dead in the water. NEITHER set of controls is working. Lights are flashing, and beeping sounds are coming from the controls. This is not good. We try a few simple things, but nothing is working. John gets out his manuals and begins reading some "trouble shooting". Time passes, still no controls. His controls are electronic and state of the art. But when they don't work, a paddle is more dependable

John calls the maker of the controls. Over the phone, we are told to look for an electronic ECM box where the front and back controls are plugged in. We can't find it. Everyone on the boat is following wires, checking bulkheads (where this should be mounted), and still we can't find this damn box.

John calls the builder of the boat. Perhaps he remembers where it is mounted. Nope. We spent a good hour looking for the ECM. Finally, with all else tried, we simply disconnected the rear station. Voila; the front station works We have no rear station, but we will worry about that later (we use it to back into the slip when docking).

Off we go to catch out rockfish. The customers had a great day (lots of 24-27 inch fish out there). And; we get back into the slip with no more damage.

Captain John orders a new second station; installs it, and we are back up and running again.

No photo's for this experience. I don't know what it cost John for the controls, but it couldn't have been cheap.

As you all know; boats are expensive

5th (Marty)